• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

fuel filter plate hoses, can I tell which I've connected after installation?

When I took apart my 2000 r1100rt fuel filter assembly from the tank I mistakenly thought that one of the two "vent" lines inside the tank had a stripe on the hose and the other did not (which I was going to use for reassembly).

Turns out they both had stripes but I had seen in a youtube vid that that they were both vent lines and did not matter in terms of which was which.

I've since read that actually one is a vent line and the other is a fuel overflow line and esp with the charcoal cannister it matters which is which.

Here's my question: Since I already have the plate and tank back together and I really don't want to take it off unless I have to,
is there a way to tell which line is connected to which using the outside ends of the hoses?

When I blow through the end of the hose that dumps to the ground (i e not the line to the cannister) it comes out at the gas tank fill overflow hole. Thats seems correct to me. ?

Last edited:
The one that goes to ground should be the small hole that you can see when you open the filler flap. That's the rain drain, not an overflow The tank vent is inside the tank where you can't see it, and that goes to the canister.

Back