• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

front suspension options

B

bmwrusso

I am trying ot learn as fast as i can. I see that alot fo the parts for these bikes are interchangable. so my question is what is the best front end option i have for a dual disc snowflake front wheel? I was hoping to get the forks and everything in a recent auction but did not know that they went for so much so i was outbid. so now i have the wheel and ATE calipers and only see front forks with single discs available. should i bail on the ate and go with a brembo setup? is either more available? I have a clean slate to start with so i have to build from the ground up so i can go in any direction possible but would like a dual disc set-up.

any suggestions? also I was considering having a set of wire wheels with hoops restrung with 17" rims so i could run tires I am used to.

What bike are you modifying? That may help getting informed answers.

Not spamming here, but I have a complete set of forks and triple clamps from an R65 LS that I bought for another project that didn't pan out. I have no clue which wheels they are compatible with, but they are for a dual disc bike. If you know the exact spacing between the forks you need PM me and I'll see if the numbers match.

What bike are you modifying? That may help getting informed answers.

Not spamming here, but I have a complete set of forks and triple clamps from an R65 LS that I bought for another project that didn't pan out. I have no clue which wheels they are compatible with, but they are for a dual disc bike. If you know the exact spacing between the forks you need PM me and I'll see if the numbers match.

What Bike anfd why no exisiting front end parts?

Disclaimer: My experience is with standard the R65 and not the LS.

Most of the R65 and I'm pretty sure the LS as well came with 18" front wheels instead of the 19" the other airheads of the era, not a bad thing. The stock R65 had 18" snowflakes while the LS had a custom wheel only used on the LS. The R65 front end was unique and solid.

I think you will also find the hubs are a different width and would have some spacer issues with the 19" snowflakes, but probably could be made to work.

Most experienced airhead folks consider the forks from the ATE era to be better designed then the forks from the twin shock brembo period. The ATE brakes can work well if properly setup, it is more work to set them up and maintain them then it is to maintain brembo brakes. One common upgrade is to use the brembo handlebar master cylinder with the ATRE calipers. You need to pay close attention to which SIZE master cylinder you use, them come in several sizes. The forks from the monolever bikes were the most sorted out of all, but will be difficult to use with snowflakes for a number of reasons.

currently the bike has a gsxr front end that needs the triple shaft turned down to work right BUT i do not want a front wheel the same size if nto bigger then the rear wheel. it just looks funny and takes away from the handling of any bike. also the 3 spoke front wheel will look funny with any rear wheel i decide to go with unless i can find on that will fit AND is wider than the 3" front i currnetly have on the bike.

see pictures for details.

So i have a fresh start. BTW the frame is off a r100, the engine is a r75/5 and it has an extended swingarm on the bike. does that help? parts i already acquired are
dual disc front snowflake wheel and ATE calipers
disc snowflake rear wheel with disc brake set-up

so now i need the front suspension and can easily sell the ATE calipers if I decide to go brembo I just need to know which is more readily available or more cost effective and what models i should be searching for to buy the front suspension from.

Attachments

• BMWmotorcycle gsxrfrontend.JPG
    BMWmotorcycle gsxrfrontend.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 55
Back