• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

FOUR new BMW models

850 RS is a great idea, but...........

Many conversations with 800 riders indicate that the bike is notorious for cooking the "family Jewels". Would love to downsize and go lighter but will not buy anything that cooks me. North America is not the Alps, and our summertime temperatures are WAY north of 70. Had 2 K bikes which became uncomfortable at temperatures over 80 and I am uninterested in motorcycles that do this. Hope they do their homework.

Many conversations with 800 riders indicate that the bike is notorious for cooking the "family Jewels". Would love to downsize and go lighter but will not buy anything that cooks me. North America is not the Alps, and our summertime temperatures are WAY north of 70. Had 2 K bikes which became uncomfortable at temperatures over 80 and I am uninterested in motorcycles that do this. Hope they do their homework.

I probably know a half dozen F800 riders, including my riding buddy Annie. None have mentioned the bikes being unusually uncomfortable to ride in high temperatures. It gets mighty warm in Montana sometimes.

I probably know a half dozen F800 riders, including my riding buddy Annie. None have mentioned the bikes being unusually uncomfortable to ride in high temperatures. It gets mighty warm in Montana sometimes.

I had a F800GT as a loner for 700 or 800 miles.
Hottest bike I've ever been on.

I should add I have not seen heat complaints on other F800 models.

All but one of the F800 riders that I know well are on GS models. Annie has a combined 90+ K miles on the two GSs she has/had. I do not doubt that some people have heat issues but it does not seem to be issue common to all. Perhaps year and model are a factor.

My wife compains about being cold on her F800ST. She's never said it was too hot except in Moab when it was 35C; that was just the weather not the bike.

I am quite interested to see what this F850RS is like. If they get it right, might put a pair of them in the garage to replace her ST and maybe my K1200GT.

A little secret!

The f800st can get hot IF above 90". The gt is hotter yet. My secret is; Most people ride with their knees too tight to the tank. Ride with a little air gap between your knees and the tank and you must be moving. This does work .Sitting in 100 plus is always hot on any bike.

My wife compains about being cold on her F800ST. She's never said it was too hot except in Moab when it was 35C; that was just the weather not the bike.

I am quite interested to see what this F850RS is like. If they get it right, might put a pair of them in the garage to replace her ST and maybe my K1200GT.

Is there heated grips? Maybe try a heated vest?

I agree. After nearly 30 years on RTs, I bought a new F650GS (twin) because the the current RTs had gotten to big,bulbous, top heavy. Rode it 50k miles and was reasonable satisfied (supension was fair..added Wilbers and front fork valve inserts) then the R1200RS came out and got one of the first ones. Love the RS but i would like a 50lb higher bike.

If the new 850RS is truly lighter, and has a premium suspension and current suite of goodies I will be taking a serious look.

If KTM does a 790GT that might be an alternative

If the new 850RS is truly lighter, and has a premium suspension and current suite of goodies I will be taking a serious look.

The F850GS weighs 504 pounds so a F850RS will probably weigh close to the R1200RS, 520 pounds.

Last edited:
Would that include the earlier “ST” model? It seems to have similar fairing to the GT model that replaced it.

I have not heard any complaints about the ST.

I have not ridden a ST so I can't compare.

Back