• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Fork crush washers question

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
The bike: 1988 R100 RT with type V forks
The crush washers for the forks, both the drain (6mm) and fill (8mm or 10mm I'm not sure now) have become more difficult to obtain (i.e. local shops no longer stock and now they must be special ordered).

Now the question. The oil filter kit comes with two copper (or at least they look like copper) 6mm crush washers. I'm wondering if that's OK to use those in place of the 6mm crush washers for the drain bolts. Granted I still have to order the 8mm cursh washers for the fill plug.

Edit: After looking at the parts fiche, I'm not sure what size the crushwasher is for the fill plug. I thought I measured them at 8mm, but the parts fiche indicates 10mm.

Last edited:
Sometimes I have been able to find such washers at auto parts stores. They usually come in an assortment in blister packs. A bit of luck may be needed to find the proper size.

I see no reason why you cannot use the washer you mentioned.

The bike: 1988 R100 RT with type V forks
The crush washers for the forks, both the drain (6mm) and fill (8mm) have become more difficult to obtain (i.e. local shops no longer stock and now they must be special ordered).

Now the question. The oil filter kit comes with two copper (or at least they look like copper) 6mm crush washers. I'm wondering if that's OK to use those in place of the 6mm crush washers for the drain bolts. Granted I still have to order the 8mm cursh washers for the fill plug.
Jeff -- A quick, marginally-related hijack, pls.: I found no sealing washers under the heads of the damper rod retaining bolts (and no sealing washer inside the bottom of the fork leg) -- was that the case with your forks (no washers of any sort for the rod attachment bolts)?

On your drain/fill bolt seal washer question, two thoughts: you're right about the dealers -- I asked for replacements, and the "complete" package of parts I received contained only two washers, and they are the wrong size for either application. FWIW, for the fill bolts, at least as of now I don't intend to loosen mine -- I will reassemble the forks except for the caps, install the spec'd amount of fork oil, then install the caps, avoiding the need to renew the washers.

Sorry -- not very helpful for your Qs, but I appreciate your input!

Jeff -- A quick, marginally-related hijack, pls.: I found no sealing washers under the heads of the damper rod retaining bolts (and no sealing washer inside the bottom of the fork leg) -- was that the case with your forks (no washers of any sort for the rod attachment bolts)?

On your drain/fill bolt seal washer question, two thoughts: you're right about the dealers -- I asked for replacements, and the "complete" package of parts I received contained only two washers, and they are the wrong size for either application. FWIW, for the fill bolts, at least as of now I don't intend to loosen mine -- I will reassemble the forks except for the caps, install the spec'd amount of fork oil, then install the caps, avoiding the need to renew the washers.

Sorry -- not very helpful for your Qs, but I appreciate your input!

Well, the copper washers measured 6mm with regards to inside measurements, and the appropriate crush washers provided for the drain bolt also measured 6mm, but I haven't tried to see they'll fit.

And a bit of correction. It appears that the fill might be a 10mm washer, but the dealer had those in stock. I'm confused why I didn't get those?

Now, as far as your question about the crush washers at the bottom of the damper rod retaining bolt. I don't remember perse. It's been about four years now since I tore into it. Come to think of it---it's coming back to me now, I think it did have a crush washer on the bolt. Yeah it did, because I remember them being copper (old or new) I don't remember. As I'm sure you know, the fiche indicate a crush washer. So, I would add them.

copper vs aluminum, both soft, both seal well, in fact I did the same thing on my past bikes that used that washer.

Try mcmaster.com. Search for copper washers. You may have to buy buy 50 at a time, but they probably cost about the same as two from a BMW dealer.

Jeff, Give Fastenal a shot if any are around your location.

I've gotten numerous metric bolt/washers off of them and there's no need for bulk. I bought 3 washers and bolts off them yesterday for the oil filter head.

h

Back