• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Forest Fires Out West

Yeah, farming gets old too...ask my 72 year old brother...they've retired from farming 2500 acres and will be selling the place. None of their younger generations have ANY interest in taking over a farm property that's been in the family for over 80 years.

Too bad Filson doesn't take catalog pictures in alfalfa fields. :)

Yeah, farming gets old too...ask my 72 year old brother...they've retired from farming 2500 acres and will be selling the place. None of their younger generations have ANY interest in taking over a farm property that's been in the family for over 80 years.

Too bad Filson doesn't take catalog pictures in alfalfa fields. :)

The last Filson catalog had a young guy riding a newer Husky trail bike and sporting various combinations of Tin Cloth and wool cruisers. I guess if Union Garage can make a profit selling urban riding gear, Filson can go for their own PNW logger biker style.

We still have the small farm where the saw mill was located, but have rented the acreage to local farmers since the 1950's. Today, most all our local farms are rented acreage by large industrial scale farms.

These are always fun artifacts from the glory days of Logging in PNW.

The first is what some might call a bushmaster knife. My grandfather made it in the early 1940s from saw steel. As a saw filer they used a saw tooth filer to break the metal down and give the shape. Part of the tip is actually the original saw tooth from the 12 or 16 foot blade. Or, so the story goes. I wasn't there then :)

It was called a "toothpick" by grand dad. It is balanced very nicely if nose heavy. solid tang all the way through the handle with melted aluminum.

IMG_0482.jpg

Picture 055.jpg
Liked the knife your Grandfather made. My father made this knife for me back in the early 1960s. About a 6" blade made from tool steel.

Awesome looking blade. My kids and I have talked about making "rebar" blades (vids on youtube). But, you need a forge and a bunch of stuff I don't have, and the local blacksmith crafters all want to make hinges and door knockers if you learn from them.

Here is a supplier I use-
http://www.centaurforge.com

Don't you wish you never threw away that old anvil? :eek

OM

Back