• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

flashing led tail lite?

who make the easy to install flashing LED tail lite for 07 650 GS

BMW makes a great one for $150. It is a bunch of LEDs under the license plate (the bracket mounts with the same license plate screws) and has a fast blink for brake light and a steady light for tail light. Comes with wiring harness, fuse, etc.

BMW makes a great one for $150. It is a bunch of LEDs under the license plate (the bracket mounts with the same license plate screws) and has a fast blink for brake light and a steady light for tail light. Comes with wiring harness, fuse, etc.

Second that. I have a set on two of my three BMWs and will be adding a set to my other one and the fourth I'm picking up. The stock brake (break hahaha) light remains and this goes below the stock light. It flashes quickly about four times and then remains on. It really wakes up the soccer moms going blah-blah-blah behind me. Even the guys with the left wrist draped over the wheel suddenly go to both hands when the flash goes on. :laugh Almost causes their Oakleys to drop down onto their goatees.

Tail LED Light

I just had a BMW LED brake light installed on my 03 F650CS. It's bright but doesn't blink. Something about the capability of the electrical system. It would require adding more parts to get it to blink. As long as it gives me more visibility, I'm happy.

I recently bought , and installed an LED bulb that rotates as you drive along till the brake is applied, then it flashes several times, then goes to steady bright. I was assured it wouldn't work, but it does and has presented no problems to date. the folks who ride with me frequently call it my "disco light". Got it off of E-bay for $13.

Floyd

I just had a BMW LED brake light installed on my 03 F650CS. It's bright but doesn't blink. Something about the capability of the electrical system. It would require adding more parts to get it to blink. As long as it gives me more visibility, I'm happy.

Hmmm. Not likely. Sounds like there is something wrong. Did you get the one with the separate red wire and fuse that goes directly to the battery? There were two and that is the latest one. Assuming you got the latest unit, unless there is something I don't know about the CS (we didn't have but one around here for sale) the current drawn by the led setup is not so great as to have an issue with the somewhat standard brake and tail light setup on the CS.

It sounds to me like the brake LED circuit is wired to the tail light circuit and the tail LED to the brake. See, that way it would flash when you first turned on the bike with the tail light coming on and be steady bright from then on (have someone turn on the bike while you watch). Then when you operated the brake, since it is already bright, you probably wouldn't see anything additional happen. Try reversing the wires of the brake and tail circuits from the LED unit. Hard to diagnose from here, but the most likely reason for your symptoms.

Led

Thanks, cjack. I'm asking the dealer to check on the wiring set up. If I'm paying for an LED that should blink...I want it to blink. Thanks so much for your response.

Raevyn,
On my CS I have a Gizmomill flashing LED taillight and a set of P3 flashing lights on the side of the license plate. My bike is a regular flashing beacon back there. A guy I work with was following me into work. Later in the day he said that someone would have to be blind not to see my lights when I hit the brakes. Which is exactly the response I was going for.

Thanks, Ridealot. I'm out for the same thing....SEE ME! Don't run into me! Wake up people, I'm here! *flash flash*...

When I bought the CS, Wezul rode it home for me as I rode behind him in the car. The stock light was so dull at night that putting a new LED was the first thing on my farkle list of things I wanted to change.

Brake !

Ups guy droped it off the other day. I ran out to the garage put it in. Very easy install!! My 5 year old helped. Nice and bright! Now we have to get rid of this three feet of snow. Forcast for today winter storm warning 4-8 inches:dunno

Pics of install

For those who are interested, here are some pictures of the Brake! taillight installed on my dakar:

P2160770.jpg

The connector attached to the LED panel plugs straight into the standard 1157 socket. (The downward facing LEDs you can see in this picture are used to light the license plate, they have a pretty cool effect.)

P2160767.jpg

P2160769.jpg

Then you slide the brackets over the stock reflector, attach it using the two supplied self-drilling screws, replace the brake light cover and voila! you're finished.

Cheers,
Tim

Back