• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Flashing ABS lights on 04 1150 GS

P

PHeimburger01

I took my just purchased used 04 out with my dad (on his R1200C) right before summer ended and we rode over a mountain pass forest road in Colorado that quickly got bad. The bike went down several times in rather intense rock in the washed out forest road with minor damage to side cases and a cracked aftermarket light, and of course the ABS blinking scenario. Is there a way to reset the ABS (or get the lights to stop), or do I take it in to the dealer? Servos still activate, and the bike handles just fine with no other braking issues.

Are you sure you are waiting long enough for the diagnostics to do it's thing before starting? I had this problem on a 1100GS. If I waited a few seconds (after key on) before starting it always worked, but if I turned the key and started it would not stop blinking.

Last edited:
I took my just purchased used 04 out with my dad (on his R1200C) right before summer ended and we rode over a mountain pass forest road in Colorado that quickly got bad. The bike went down several times in rather intense rock in the washed out forest road with minor damage to side cases and a cracked aftermarket light, and of course the ABS blinking scenario. Is there a way to reset the ABS (or get the lights to stop), or do I take it in to the dealer? Servos still activate, and the bike handles just fine with no other braking issues.

If you post your problem on advrider.com at GSpot, Oilheads you will generate a slew of responses.

Check if a wheel sensor (pickup) or the slotted wheel ring got dinged or its wiring damaged in a spill.

Pull fuse #5 (counting from the left side of the bike) to reset the Motronic;
pull fuse #1 to disable the ABS.
Leave them out for a minute or two to permit discharge of anything inside the capacitors (I don't know if this is "long enough" for everybody but it's been OK for me) and plug them back in.

If there's an aftermarket or non-factory shop nearby with a GS911, they'd charge you less than a dealer for a diagnostic.

In addition to Windypoint's comment: if the battery is low or was damaged (if it's a wet cell, it may have partially drained out the overflow tube), a low voltage will also cause ABS fault issues.

Also, HOW are they flashing? That's a big clue too:
Gen OFF, ABS ON = Only residual braking in both circuits.
Gen OFF, ABS flashes at 1 Hz = ABS not available. Pull-away test not completed.
Gen OFF, ABS flashes at 4 Hz = Only residual braking function available in both circuits.
Gen ON, ABS off = rear light/brake light defective.
Gen ON, ABS flashes at 1 Hz = At least one brake circuit without ABS.
Gen ON, ABS flashes at 4 Hz =At least one brake circuit in residual braking function mode.
Gen AND ABS flashing alternately at 1 Hz = Fluid level in Integral ABS too low, or Low voltage.

Back