• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fish Eye mirror

poosu

poosu
This is a pretty dumb question, but important to me as I get older and more prone to blind spot problems. I want to get some of those small fish eye mirrors that stick on your rear view mirrors. Some I've seen are in good shape while others look like junk. Does anyone have a recomendation for a decent manufacturer?

I have not found much difference between manufacturers, nearly all will be from China. Glass is preferred for a clear image, but many plastic mirrors are still good. These are pretty simple items and being inexpensive, you don't have much to lose if you don't like your first choice.

Bigger is usually better than smaller because mirror size determines the size of the reflected image. Small reflections are harder for your eye to interpret at a glance.

Round convex mirrors show reflections from all directions, so much of the image will be occupied by reflections you are not interested in, like yourself, your bike, the sky. Only a third of the mirror or less will reflect the actual blind spot area.

I prefer the wedge style mirrors, as they provide a larger image that emphasizes the actual blind spot. It is as if you started with a large round mirror of six or eight inch diameter and then cut off the un-needed portions.

A blind spot mirror is helpful for keeping tabs on nearby traffic, but an actual head check is still essential before changing lanes.

I have not found much difference between manufacturers, nearly all will be from China. Glass is preferred for a clear image, but many plastic mirrors are still good. These are pretty simple items and being inexpensive, you don't have much to lose if you don't like your first choice.

Bigger is usually better than smaller because mirror size determines the size of the reflected image. Small reflections are harder for your eye to interpret at a glance.

Round convex mirrors show reflections from all directions, so much of the image will be occupied by reflections you are not interested in, like yourself, your bike, the sky. Only a third of the mirror or less will reflect the actual blind spot area.

I prefer the wedge style mirrors, as they provide a larger image that emphasizes the actual blind spot. It is as if you started with a large round mirror of six or eight inch diameter and then cut off the un-needed portions.

A blind spot mirror is helpful for keeping tabs on nearby traffic, but an actual head check is still essential before changing lanes.

I know these are inexpensive, but the ones I got on my car were all corroded and foggy in less than 2 years and not that easy to get off. I always do the head check but am looking for that little extra bit of help

As said above they are mostly Chinesium.
The fact that they are hard to get off is a good thing - they won't fall off.
Warming with a hairdryer and prying gently and slowly over a period of 30 seconds will release the double sided tape.
The glue can be cleaned up easily with paint thinner.

I have small ones on my R65 and they're really hard to see much of anything. If you go that way I would suggest getting the largest size you can use.

I used one on the left side mirror on my RT for awhile. What I had was definitely the aforementioned 'Chinesium' type.

Didn't find it helpful - more like a distraction. I have to echo Larry, do a "head check".

Three most important things to do before changing lanes, making turns or pulling out to pass:
1. Head check
2. Head check
3. Head check

(Yes, I once worked in an office titled "Department of Redundancy Department" Had to quit though - kept feeling like I was doing the same things over and over.)

I used one on the left side mirror on my RT for awhile. What I had was definitely the aforementioned 'Chinesium' type.

Didn't find it helpful - more like a distraction. I have to echo Larry, do a "head check".

Three most important things to do before changing lanes, making turns or pulling out to pass:
1. Head check
2. Head check
3. Head check

(Yes, I once worked in an office titled "Department of Redundancy Department" Had to quit though - kept feeling like I was doing the same things over and over.)

I totally agree, I also did not like the loss of original mirror area - they are small enough as it is.

Up here we call it "Shoulder Check"

Thanks for the input. To be honest, this question is for my cars. They have bigger rear view mirrors and have more peripheral vision restrictions than the bike. My 1999 R1100RS mirrors really aren't big enough to accommodate these deviceives. I definitely will try the suggestions on my cars.

Although they’re out of business, Multivex Mirrors used to make a great product. They were aspheric mirrors that attached over your stock mirrors with adhesive backing.They were progressively convex, increasingly to the outside, and essentially eliminated blind spots. I’m surprised that no one seems to have taken up the concept.

Back