• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Firstgear Adventure Mesh Reviews?

pappy35

I currently have, and love, a Tourmaster Transition 2 jacket which has proved to be a reliable and comfortable 3/4 season jacket. It's served me well for a very long time. It's got character (which is a nice way to say that it's filthy from riding the crap out of it). Unfortunately though it's just too hot to wear here in the Mid-South summers and I find myself in search of a 1/4 season jacket.

I just bought a Sedici mesh jacket but I just can't get myself to really like it. First, it's not as cool as I'd hoped, the collar tends to dig into my neck when I do that blind-spot-clearing thing, and finally, it just doesn't have enough hi-viz material for my liking. I'm about to order a Firstgear Adventure Mesh (hi-viz of course) and thought I'd poll the collective and see what you folks think. I am not going to pony-up the better part of a thousand dollars for the really high-end gear, this jacket will be used primarily for daily commuting so I'm not concerned about being hermetically sealed against rain. Just looking for something to bridge the hot-weather season until I can snuggle back into my now-tortuous Tourmaster.

So, what do you think?

Mesh Jacket

Not an answer about Firstgear Mesh jacket but I got an Olympia mesh jacket several years no name on jacket or labels other than Olympia has a nice waterproof liner and it used to have lots of bright yellow now looks very grungy but it has been a very good jacket for my needs got it on sale $99 if I could find a new one like would happily pay double original price. So short answer to a question you did not ask consider an Olympia mesh jacket.

I have had two First Gear Mesh Jackets

Living I Texas I found these jackets to be very good for this climate and comfortable enough around the collar when doing over the shoulder scans when changing lanes, clearing intersections or managing entrance and exit ramps. I will wear a neck tube occasionally so I don’t get too much sun on my neck and that makes the collar unnoticeable. The jackets I purchased have plenty of storage and vents.

Best of luck with your purchase.

Chris

My last 2 mesh jackets have been 1st Gear. Don't know what model (now), but they both have held up very well. I've ridden in temps from about 40degF (with liner in place & neck gator on) up to 110degF (not so much fun -- much better in cool weather). Occasionally I add either a heated jacket liner, instead of the 1st Gear liner, for temps below 50degF, or a rain jacket for rainy rides (over the jacket). The mesh on my current jacket still looks good! Liberal application of pre-wash on all dirty spots before washing have helped keep it looking good. I also have a pair of 1st Gear mesh overpants, which will zip to either jacket. When I need a new mesh jacket, I will again look for a 1st Gear jacket.

Awesome input. Thanks fellas. I went ahead and ordered it. I love my Transition. I used it taking the Harley basic class last December (refresher training after being off for a long time). Of course, that weekend the daytime temps ranged from 19F to 30F. but I was sweating in my jacket. Of course, those same properties (minus the liner of course), don't help when it's 100F on the road.

PS - the Memphis Cycle Gear is staffed by an awesome crew. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Back