• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Fiamm Freeway Blaster on F800GT

racer7

I've been spending so much time just trying a get an F800GT somewhat touring suitable, figured it was time for a silly change just for the heck of it.
MCN recently reviewed motorcycle horns and gave top marks to the Fiamm AMS-80 low tone (Fiamm part 72012 for low version rated 125 dB at 4 ft) or dual set and therefore by implication to the louder variant with identical appearance, specs except for volume, and dimension, the Freeway Blaster (Fiamm part 72112 for low version rated 130 dB at 4 ft). Both Fiamms use 6A (low compared to the 20A of some air horns) and are rated at 400 Hz frequency.

The BMW horn is a typical pancake horn, Spanish made, rated at 335 Hz. Don't know volume spec or current usage.

The Fiamm and BMW horns are similar size except the Fiamm's "snail horns" make them a bit fatter. The Fiamms have a smaller mounting bolt but will still fit on the stock BMW strap mount. The BMW stock horn has excellent waterproof connections far superior to the Fiamm's spades and exposed terminals.

I removed the stock horn from its bracket. To allow for reinstallation, I cut its connector lead off with a few inches of wire then put a waterproof male deutsch connector on the factory wires. To fit the Fiamm I made a female deutsch connector pigtail about 8 inches long with spades at the horn end. I covered all exposed connections at the horn with shrink tube and/or liquid electrical tape. To maintain near stock appearance, I rattle-canned the bright metal on the Fiamm with flat black primer.

The Fiamm works fine and causes no issues on the bike.

Tests of the Fiamm against a stock horn on another F800GT showed that despite its spec of higher frequency it is in fact lower frequency that the BMW horn- so one or both are wrongly spec'ed or fail to met their spec. Is the 130 dB Fiamm low louder than a stock horn- not hugely so in the garage tests though it is at least as loud- not enough difference to really notice up close. Need to check at longer distances outside but so far the only clear benefit seems to be a lower tone that suggests a slightly larger vehicle. Can't say I'd suggest running off and doing this to an F800GT (single low tone install) and there is no room for a pair in the stock location though I suppose a second could be rigged under the fairing- and then you'd probably need a supplemental circuit to run it.

Anyway, photos follow of stock horn, my pigtail, unpainted Fiamm horn (3 here), Fiamm ready for installation and installed Fiamm horn (next post).

P1010681.JPG P1010682.jpg P1010685.JPG

Last edited:
More Photos

Here are photos of the painted Fiamm with terminals covered except for spade connection and tweaked a bit for wire alignment plus the installed horn on the stock bracket (use loctite on threads)

P1010688.jpg P1010689.JPG

Last edited:
Motorcycle Consumer News current issue. May not be online to non-subscribers. If you're not, you should be- the single most reliable pub- takes no advertising.

You can go also go to the Fiamm US website and open the catalog to see the specs of everything they sell here, many types- shows pretty clear this is the best option for bikes- size and current being issues for many others.

Back