• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fall setting sun angles

Man,
It's that time of year again for those currently riding...or driving:wave

Just back in from a late start sunny day ride on several two-lanes in the hills.
That pesky sun, we haven't seen it in a week, was LOW on the horizon and with the leaves thinned makes it even more fun on twisty familiar roads...which are not as familiar or predictable with Winter sun angles.
I altered my routes to avoid the school bus routes where I knew the sun was straight on.... traffic is always light until a school bus starts the flashing STOP! sign and a vehicle come roaring up behind.

Having the sun blast you thru the trees on your peripheral vision flank mid afternoon just isn't right:violin I called it a day...evening and came on home.
How many days before we start GAINING daylight again? :laugh

Out here we have the Tip O'Neil Tunnel. It's a rather long run from the x-way to Logan underground until there is an open area of full sun :banghead a dip to florescent lights then dirty florescent lights then full sun.
I guess they are just smarter in Texas and get their blinding light- naturally. It cost us billions :deal
OM

The sun rose at 8:20 this morning

I had to go for a service call this morning with one of my guys who was having a bitch of a time cracking the controller on a hoe. We had all should be good, battery voltage, fuses and so on but she wouldn't pop smoke. The usual stuff, fuel filters, charge pressure, etc. told us she should light up. Still no good smoke.

We needed into the controller. Thank god for CAN-BUS, it's contributing to my semi-retirement goals of drinking on a beach somewhere. It was cold, not horribly cold like my friends to the south refer to hell hath frozen over cold but cold, about -14C. We just couldn't get communication and we both had at least a few cups of coffee in us.

Time to pee. So I am a manly man and not penis shy at all. My subordinate needs a pee as well. Just whip it out in the pit and go for a whiz, right?

Well, we whip it out and start to relieve ourselves and he looks over and says, "looks like a penis only smaller. How cute is that?"

Now I'm faced with a dilemma. The sun set about 4:05 today, should I put tape over my subordinate's safety glasses to cut the glare of light when I fire his butt?

For those that might believe hell can freeze over, get ready, the Maple Leafs can make the playoffs this year. God Bless.

Don't really know how to follow THAT one but.....

Has anyone tried the strip sold by Aerostich on an Arai Helmet and how did it work?

Sun just about blinded me yesterday and it was only 1:45 PM!

I carry a roll of 1" blue painters tape with me at all times. It comes off clean no matter how long it's been on.

I put it as low as I can without blocking forward vision. I've come to like it so much that I just leave it on.

:dance:dance:dance

I carry a roll of 1" blue painters tape with me at all times. It comes off clean no matter how long it's been on.

I put it as low as I can without blocking forward vision. I've come to like it so much that I just leave it on.

:dance:dance:dance

I do the same thing with black electrical tape. Two or three rows of overlapping tape block the low setting sun in the evening ride home and stay on through rain and washing for YEARS! Yet they come off pretty clean, any glue left over wipes right off with a bit of WD40 or kerosene, which in turn cleans right up with a shot of Plexus.

Yesterday was of course the first day of Winter and the end of Fall. The sun angle in my southern Canadian city of Calgary Alberta at its maximum elevation was 15.60 degrees and now will continue to rise until June 21st when the angle tops out at 62.47 degrees.

The sun angles for corresponding dates for those us riding in Los Angeles California are 32.52 and 79.38 degrees whereas Fairbanks Alaska values are barely over the horizon at 1.73 degrees in the Winter Solstice and 48.60 degrees in June!

(Data per Sun Seeker iOS App)

We are south of the LA latitudes, I shouldn't be griping it seems :scratch

We haven't seen the sun for a week yeah, I know :violin

I changed a few sets of tires this AM and the sun came out...by the time I went for a short ride it was cloudy and late in the day again.

P1040509.jpg

I saw my shadow yesterday...I don't play a groundhog but it seemed to be a bad thing :dunno
I had the sun in my eyes right around sunset...and it wasn't on a road that is fun on in those conditions...blinded in a blind corner never good:violin

20141230_113302.jpg
not a bit of sun in the state...check out the temp difference from north to south today.

That's North to South?????

View attachment 47853

I saw my shadow yesterday...I don't play a groundhog but it seemed to be a bad thing :dunno
I had the sun in my eyes right around sunset...and it wasn't on a road that is fun on in those conditions...blinded in a blind corner never good:violin

View attachment 47854
not a bit of sun in the state...check out the temp difference from north to south today.

You may not love us Canadians like you should, we are a lovable bunch but dude, your fellow countrymen say in North Dakota or even further, Alaska, you didn't even consider their weather. Shame on you.

If you come to Canada, I'm not going to tell you how wonderful Poutine is. It's a Northern thing you see.

That was heading almost due North late in the day.
The weather map was the N/S reference. Below freezing in the panhandle and shorts and beach weather in the Valley & coast .

We spent not enough time up in your Northeastern lands this past summer...and a few other years in the Western Provinces...always a great time:thumb

P1010007-M.jpg

Your neck of the woods

I just need a better understanding of French so I can poke back whilst in Quebec...it was brutal:banghead But still a fun adventure.

We were amused poutine was a McDonalds item....around here it's breakfast tacos EVERYWHERE anytime. Man that stuff could clog an artery or two...but most things that make one smile/full often do.

My friends in Wisconsin and N Minnesota are not kind this time of year...even the Iowa guys are grumpy...I was today thinking of those S CA and FL who were out ridin' and got grumpy as well:laugh

Last edited:
We have a "Visitor Centre"???

That was heading almost due North late in the day.
The weather map was the N/S reference. Below freezing in the panhandle and shorts and beach weather in the Valley & coast .

We spent not enough time up in your Northeastern lands this past summer...and a few other years in the Western Provinces...always a great time:thumb

P1010007-M.jpg

Your neck of the woods

I just need a better understanding of French so I can poke back whilst in Quebec...it was brutal:banghead But still a fun adventure.

We were amused poutine was a McDonalds item....around here it's breakfast tacos EVERYWHERE anytime. Man that stuff could clog an artery or two...but most things that make one smile/full often do.

My friends in Wisconsin and N Minnesota are not kind this time of year...even the Iowa guys are grumpy...I was today thinking of those S CA and FL who were out ridin' and got grumpy as well:laugh

Holy crap, who knew?? Where is it..................Ahhhhhhh, I get it, our "Visitor Centre" has to be in somewhere nicer than it is here right now. I bet our visitor centre is in like Kansas or Tennessee.

Back