• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

F750GS Turn Signal

jreicker

Owners Manual says:

Comfort Turn Signals

When button 1 is pressed to the right or left, the turn signal automatically turns off under the following conditions:
Speed is under 18 mph (30 km/h): after distance covered of 165 ft (50 m).
Speed is between 18 mph and 60 mph (30 km/h and 100 km/h): after covering a particular distance depending on the speed or when accelerating.

1. What does this mean? What is 'a particular distance'?
2. Does it also mean that when you are accelerating out of a turn, as we commonly do, the turn signal stops?

Later, manual goes on to say 'When button 1 is pressed and held slightly longer to the right or left, the turn signals will only turn off automatically after covering the distance depending on the speed.'

3. Does this mean that if you hold the button a little longer (how long?) the signal will not cancel if you are accelerating?

4. How do I know if I have 'Comfort Turn Signals'?

Can anybody clarify this stuff?

Thanks.

The only thing I can add, on my ‘09 F800GS-

At highway speed, 6 “blinks” then automatically cancels.

At intersections, waiting for a light to change, turn signal “blinks” until manually cancelled.

OM

I don't remember the different distances and speeds where the turn signal cancel.
I quick push of the turn signal is good for a lane change on the interstate. It probably blinks 3 or 4 times.
A long press keeps the signal on long enough for turning off a highway.
In town after you go around a turn the signal will cancel when the bike is upright again.
Sometimes on the highway I'll give the turn signal a 2nd press if I think it will cancel before I make the turn.
After awhile you get a feel for how long the signal stays on.

I don't know when the Comfort turn signal option started. My 2016 didn't have it and my 2022 did.
No idea what Comfort means. Probably a translation thing.

self cancelling signals that don't

I have a 2021r1250rt that the self cancelling turn signals don't self cancel as described on page 67 of the owners manual which states what you posted in the beginning of this thread. I've brought the bike in for service 3 times and each time the service people at Max BMW in Connecticut(my closest dealer)tell me to just keep cancelling the signal manually if i dont want to wait the preset distance of 500 meters /.3 miles. This could get you killed. If you forget to manually turn the signal off after making say, a right turn, and you ride and an oncoming truck sees the right turn signal still on and turns left in front of you because he thinks you are turning right when you are actually going straight!! If the bike wasnt advertised to have self cancelling signals and you forgot , the fault is yours of course. When you pay $26K for a bike and what the owners manual tells you should happens , doesn't, I believe there's a legal issue assuming BMW can't or doesn't want to be bothered fixing what is a malfunction or a design failure. Time to contact the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) and the New York State Attorney General's office to see what can be done. BMW customer support says if the dealer doesn't identify a problem, they basically don't want to hear anything i have to say. Maybe if I hired a lawyer they will listen. My sister is a lawyer. Other than that, I love the RT on so many levels. A shame the dealer doesn't stand behind the product and customer support circles the wagons with the dealership. Followup to follow.

I have a 2021r1250rt that the self cancelling turn signals don't self cancel as described on page 67 of the owners manual which states what you posted in the beginning of this thread. I've brought the bike in for service 3 times and each time the service people at Max BMW in Connecticut(my closest dealer)tell me to just keep cancelling the signal manually if i dont want to wait the preset distance of 500 meters /.3 miles. This could get you killed. If you forget to manually turn the signal off after making say, a right turn, and you ride and an oncoming truck sees the right turn signal still on and turns left in front of you because he thinks you are turning right when you are actually going straight!! If the bike wasnt advertised to have self cancelling signals and you forgot , the fault is yours of course. When you pay $26K for a bike and what the owners manual tells you should happens , doesn't, I believe there's a legal issue assuming BMW can't or doesn't want to be bothered fixing what is a malfunction or a design failure. Time to contact the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) and the New York State Attorney General's office to see what can be done. BMW customer support says if the dealer doesn't identify a problem, they basically don't want to hear anything i have to say. Maybe if I hired a lawyer they will listen. My sister is a lawyer. Other than that, I love the RT on so many levels. A shame the dealer doesn't stand behind the product and customer support circles the wagons with the dealership. Followup to follow.

Welcome to the forum!
Probably would be good to see page 67 posted for analysis.

You may have seen my previous post on how this works on my F800GS. I didn’t know that the bike had this feature and certainly don’t rely on it but as it’s a motorcycle, I don’t expect it to operate as a car….for obvious reasons.

Good luck.

OM

Settings > Vehicle > Lights > Turn Comfort On/OFF is what I have on my RS. If the lean is not enough in your turn it defaults to distance. I often manually cancel to avoid any confusion for the cagers! :)

Back