• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

F700GS funny noise

newrider

My 700GS makes chattering noise upon cold start up. This only happens when it hasn't been run in a few days otherwise no unusual noise. This chattering lasts only a few seconds then perfection. Is this something bad or normal? I don't recall this when it was new. It has 10,500 miles.

I have it on mine (F800GS) also. It's kinda an "this engine has no oil" sound, for a quarter of a second? It doesn't happen all the time, I'm not concerned as it just seems after sitting perhaps the oil has drained back a bit.
OM

Does the F series bikes have a hydraulic cam chain tensioner ? The tensioner could be loosing pressure after sitting awhile and letting the cam chain get loose.

Does the F series bikes have a hydraulic cam chain tensioner ? The tensioner could be loosing pressure after sitting awhile and letting the cam chain get loose.
A rather good guess at the noise I hear Lee. Looking at my Haynes manual, it looks like the common spring-loaded type with the guide blades.
OM

The tensioner is a combination oil/hydraulic + spring type unit...
not 100% clear how much tensioniong the oil/hydraulic unit applies or if it serves mainly as a damper.
It does have a check valve in it, and some folks have suggested that it be replaced every ??K miles...

but long story short ... It it only lasts for a few seconds that's pretty much normal.

Here's some deeper commentary: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18098775&postcount=161

Last edited:
noise

Hey thanks jimbob for the commentary. Very interesting. Again, this noise is only upon cold start up and after sitting for a few days. no noise even after an overnight. Is the commentary on an F engine, ie F700GS?

Hey thanks jimbob for the commentary. Very interesting. Again, this noise is only upon cold start up and after sitting for a few days. no noise even after an overnight. Is the commentary on an F engine, ie F700GS?

Yes that commentary applies equally to the F650GS/F700GS/F800GS/F800ADV vertical twins....

I think you are good ... what weight(s) of oil does the F700GS manual recommend? 15W-50?

The older bikes suggested 10W-40 but then it was apparently revised later to 15W-50

http://www.bmw-motorrad.dk/se/sv/services/media/PI_OlL_BMW_MC_2012_MD.pdf

Back