• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

F650GS - How low can you go?

toddschaefer

My wife is vertically challenged and is only comfortable with a seat height of 28.5 inches or lower. We really want to get a couple of F650GS motorcycles but it appears we'll only be able to lower the seat height to 29.7" with the Kouba lowering links. Does anyone out there have a F650GS that has a seat height under 29"? If so how did you accomplish this?

Thank you in advance.

My wife is very short as well at 5'1", I slid the forks up until they hit the bars, (about an inch), and made my own lowering links, although I forgot just how much they lowered the bike.

One of the biggest changes was to send the seat out and have it customized, they lowered and more importantly narrowed it, so her legs were more vertical, this made a big difference. I used Mr Eds moto, and was very happy with the quality and service. Not sure what it measures, but she can get both feet on the ground.

You're wife should sit on the lowered bike with a lowered seat. Depending on the width of seat, she could flatfoot a narrow seat that's higher than a wider seat.

I could flatfoot my gs until I put a corbin seat on it. Now I can only tippie toe. Oh well.....I love the seat....and the bike!

Vertically challenged riders

My wife is 5 feet even. She has a 2002 F650GSL. That is the factory model that is low, not a retro-fit. HOWEVER, if you are talking about NEW F650s you need to know that they are 798cc TWINS, and I do not believe that you could ever lower that model enough for her. Same engine as the F800 Twin, only slightly detuned.
You want the new G650GS with a lowering kit, or the factory lowered model. THAT bike is still a single, lighter than the F, and stock seat height is 30.7 inches.
{ Why the Germans took the single from "F" to "G", instead of justing naming the TWINS "G" is beyond me. Confused yet?
Good luck,
Jim Faucher

My wife is vertically challenged and is only comfortable with a seat height of 28.5 inches or lower. We really want to get a couple of F650GS motorcycles but it appears we'll only be able to lower the seat height to 29.7" with the Kouba lowering links. Does anyone out there have a F650GS that has a seat height under 29"? If so how did you accomplish this?

Thank you in advance.

The factory lowered F650GS seat height is 28". I'm a 26" inseam and manage just fine!

seat height

I am new to the forum and fairly new to motorcycling. My issue is changing the seat on my F650GS with the purpose of lowering it and making it more comfortable for long rides. Can anyone give me some suggestions?

My issue is changing the seat on my F650GS with the purpose of lowering it and making it more comfortable for long rides.

talk to Don at Mr. Ed's Moto about a custom seat. both Don and his wife ride F650's so he knows first hand what improvements are needed to the stock seat. the seat he made for me was the best money i spent on my bike. long days in the saddle are no longer an issue and he got the seat height a little lower for me as well.

http://www.mredsmoto.com/

Thanks. I live in OR so this should be an easy option as well.

Back