• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

F650/700/800gs??

mapperjay

As if I didn't already have option paralysis...

I've got a 2001 F650GS and I like it well enough, but I want one that's a little newer. I was thinking about upgrading to the F800GS, but now that they've come out with the 700 I'm beginning to wonder if there is much of a difference between these three models that really warrants upgrading to anything other than the 650.

I've read the talk about HP and torque and they pleasantly flew right over my head. But this seems to be the only major difference. (yes, there's dual front disc brakes and standard abs and more $$, but why upgrade if the difference isn't that much?)
:banghead

I'll welcome all opinions on this one, thankyouverymuch.

question

I think you've answered your own question, if you're happy with your current 650, save your money. If yoiu're just wanting to spend more of it, either model sounds nice to me.

My wife has both a single cylinder and twin cylinder F650GS. She will tell you that the twin feels much like the single in that it is light and responsive. She'll also tell you the twin is smoother, more powerful and less tiring to ride.

The F650GS is lower than the 800 which is a pretty tall bike. I think it is, or soon will be, available in a lowered version. The 800 has more suspension and is a more capable dual sport bike. The twin is fine for dirt roads and the power differential is not significant unless you are really into that sort of thing. Sounds like the new 700 might be worth waiting for if you are buying new; I like the twin disc set-up. But I would not hesitate to buy a 650GS if I were in the used market. Annie has almost 15K miles on her's in the past 4 months and chooses it unless we are going on a mostly dirt ride. The 800s are rock solid motors that are easy to maintain. Valves require a bunch of work to get to, but they need only be checked every 24k miles.

Thanks for the comments.

Yes, I have been considering the 700, but is it really a detuned 800? And if so, why not get the 800?

I am definitely interested in lots of dirt roads, but am also new to riding 2 wheels in the dirt so didn't want to get something that was too big for me to handle (I am short, standing at 5' 4", but I am aware of the lowered seat options too).

Yes, I have been considering the 700, but is it really a detuned 800? And if so, why not get the 800?

I am definitely interested in lots of dirt roads, but am also new to riding 2 wheels in the dirt so didn't want to get something that was too big for me to handle (I am short, standing at 5' 4", but I am aware of the lowered seat options too).
We have both the 650 and the 800. If all you are looking at is riding dirt roads then either the 650 or 700 will do you fine. As far as power goes I dare any day to day rider to tell the difference between the 650 and 800.

The 800 is a tall bike. I am 5 ft 9 and I just flat foot it. It is also a heavy bike. For normal day to day riding I actually prefer the 650.

Either the 650 or 700 will do you fine. Shop your best price on either and use the money you save to add on a bash plate and a set of 50/50 tires like the Heidenau K60 Scouts and it will fill your every need from a gravel road blast to a cross country cruise.

Suggest you do a demo ride on them- there are some family similariites but they are quite different in feel.
Personally, I plan to check out a lower 800 when it shows up. I like the current 800 and its fine to ride once aboard and light enough at stops that 1 footing it is no issue but to swing a leg over to get on is tiring- it is too tall at the seat by at least a full inch for me and I'm 6 feet tall. BMW has a habit of freaky ergos (I ride a K1200RS among others and don't know anyone with the 38 inch sleeve length the bike is built for- mine are 35" and I can barely ride it comfortably with barbacks) on many models and it definitely hurts their sales- we've got local female club members choosing cruisers due to the dearth of lower bikes in the lineup.
The current 2 cyl 650 is a nice around town bike that might do for a smaller person on longer runs but its suspension leaves some room for improvement. The 700 appears to be very similar with a little more power and dual discs- how close it feels awaits a test ride. The power differences in the 2 cyl family are easily discernible but not overwhelming differences and crusing speed potentials are close enough to not matter to most.
But the offset axle Showa forks on the 650 bikes are not an acceptable design to me- it is not possible to guarantee the strength of such parts without individual xrays of each fork- a minor casting error could cost you your life with no warning as it has nearly done in a small number of catastrophic failure cases. There have been some design and manufacturing changes intended to address that but I'll take my axles centered at the end of a fork, not on some offset lug that might or might not survive an offroad hammering intact.

The current Sertao single has an almost worthless sidestand. The bike sits at a hefty lean on the stock stand which as usual has too small a foot for soft earth but at least the foot size is easily fixed- wouldn't recommend it for anyone who isn't good at picking up a dropped bike, though, because they will surely get the chance to practice if they leave pavement. Decent motor for a single but whether its that many $ better than the tractor-like KLR is a matter of opinion.

I don't keep up with issues of 650/800 reliability and various design flaws but am aware of a string of assorted issues with these models that leaves me with the impression their reliability is substantially lower than, for example, a boxer but whether a full look at stats would support that I don't know. May not matter if you mostly run near dealers. I'm rarely closer than 150 miles to any dealer and am my own mechanic who quit wrenching simply for amusement a long time ago- I don't want to get out my tools more than absolutely necessary once I get a machine set up to my preferences.

Would not be surprised if you prefer the 650/700 to the 800. I've noticed its the bike our local dealership shop guys grab when they need to use one of the demos for an errand and they've got their pick of pretty much anything in the lineup sitting ready to go. Overall its friendlier than an 800, if a little less capable...

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips. Definitely food for thought. I'm learning more toward the 650 and 700 (there'll be long, across the state and more trips, but the majority of the rides will be either around town or up into the mountains for a day ride). I'll talk to the dealer about a demo ride on the 700 whenever they get one in.

Offset axles do allow a greater overlap which gives greater front end rigidity.

Has BMW had offset axle lug failures?

Back