• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Enough is Enough

oldhway

2 Wheeled Troubador
I have enjoyed this forum for a year or so now but in the last week it has gone nuts. I feel badly for the moderators and everyone who is trying to calm things down. I, (and I recommend anyone else who feels as I do), am going to log off and stay off for the next week or so in hopes that those folks who are all riled up will get over it. Hopefully, when I come back things will have simmered down. Y'all have a great couple of weeks..... steve

Don't worry too much about it. Cold weather and bad roads gets everyone in funk. Most thaw out by early spring. Some; however, just like to play the Grinch.

Dave H
San Antonio, TX

If you've been here a year you know what a great community this is. I can understand that taking a break, but I hope that you don't leave just because of a few bad apples.

Steve, we hope you'll be back :) Believe me, I felt the same way after a 3-week run of similar negativity back in August/September. I took a few weeks away from the fray and upon returning, immediately remembered why I liked the forum and many of the folks here in the first place. A little break can't hurt.

I have seriously considered taking some time off from the forum, as well. I have seen some positives lately; some stricter moderation, for starters. 3 cheers for the new forum rules!! Although I'm tired of the 5+ threads that all revolve around the same subject, I think we are close to having everything get back to the normal jovial conversations, interspersed with some serious stuff, now and again.

Speaking of serious stuff, time for some Friday beer; maybe a Mad Hatter IPA (New Holland Brewing), Leffe, and/or some Chouffe (Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel - how's THAT for a style mix?)!! Anyhow, it's gale force winds and snow/freezing rain, so it's a good night to stay in and relax a bit! :drink :drink :drink :buds

Holy Toledo Batman, the drinking has begun.

jdmetzger said:
I have seriously considered taking some time off from the forum, as well. I have seen some positives lately; some stricter moderation, for starters. 3 cheers for the new forum rules!! Although I'm tired of the 5+ threads that all revolve around the same subject, I think we are close to having everything get back to the normal jovial conversations, interspersed with some serious stuff, now and again.

Speaking of serious stuff, time for some Friday beer; maybe a Mad Hatter IPA (New Holland Brewing), Leffe, and/or some Chouffe (Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel - how's THAT for a style mix?)!! Anyhow, it's gale force winds and snow/freezing rain, so it's a good night to stay in and relax a bit! :drink :drink :drink :buds

+1

jdmetzger said:

right on!

thats what the campfire is for, be random, be fun, talk about something you enjoy, leave your troubles behind :brad

some people take life too serious. Man, go out, ride the bike, have fun, laugh and don't pay alot of attention to suroundings.

Earth to bill earth to bill, oh, I gotta go they're calling me. :bikes

jdmetzger said:

I took some time away from the forum and came back just in time for the latest debacle...lousy timing I guess...LOL. I really do buy into the theory in the movie thread about this being Groundhog Day and ot repeats monthly....LOL

PUDGYPAINTGUY said:
I took some time away from the forum and came back just in time for the latest debacle...lousy timing I guess...LOL.
I don't come around as much as I used to, but meanwhile I'm sitting out here wondering what everyone is talking about. Apparently I have missed something truly noteworthy.

Meanwhile, some type of winter weather cabin fever is an annual re-run on every internet bbs I've known of. So WTD? Are we experiencing an influx of touchie-feelies, or what?

PUDGYPAINTGUY said:
I took some time away from the forum and came back just in time for the latest debacle...lousy timing I guess...LOL. I really do buy into the theory in the movie thread about this being Groundhog Day and ot repeats monthly....LOL

It's OK, I think we're improving, and we'll soon have everything "right". First it was the complaints about the Iran issue, then the Women's Issue (The HORROR, The... HOR-ROR!). This time, the 5 or so complaint threads all seem to revolve around a single letter to the editor, and the respose to it. With that level of improvement, the next issue SHOULD be able to bring peace to the world. :)

I am new to BMW's and to the BMW MOA as well. I belonged to GWRRA for 10 years and I am still a member of the VRCC (Valkyrie Riders). They both have very good sites, much lke this one. They also have their share of folks who like to stir the pot. I find that the information available on these boards plus the chance to meet some really great folks far outweighs the negative vibes that you can get here. I left GWRRA because they have turned into a social club and are no longer bike oriented (my opinion), The VRCC is a great bunch of folks and I ride with them often. As I said, I am new to BMW and the things I am learning here are well worth putting up with a touch of crap now and then. I need to get ready for my Holiday weekend with the Valkyrie folks so I am out of here.

I actually thought things were getting better...... Maybe I'm learning whose posts to ignore. The trick is to not get emotionally invested , just back click and go to another subject.

john1691
2000 K1200RS

enough is enough

I haven't noticed unusual negativity; guess I must have been skipping those threads this week. Hope you come back, Steve.

Rinty

Hope to see you back very soon.

Oldhway said:
I have enjoyed this forum for a year or so now but in the last week it has gone nuts. I feel badly for the moderators and everyone who is trying to calm things down. I, (and I recommend anyone else who feels as I do), am going to log off and stay off for the next week or so in hopes that those folks who are all riled up will get over it. Hopefully, when I come back things will have simmered down. Y'all have a great couple of weeks..... steve

Steve,
It's exactly because of folks like you and your reaction to the recent (and seemingly recurring) events on this forum that we are clarifying and implementing new moderation guidelines.

One of the primary purposes of the 'MOA forum is to provide a venue for member discussions and sharing of opinions - some of which will differ greatly from others. What has happened, very unfortunately, is that a few started to use differences of opinion as justification to disrespect others and their opinions, make reckless accusations, and act in a rude an offensive way to other members.

These behaviors actually divert attention from the ideas at hand and turn what should be a debate into a mud wrestling contest. This forum was never intended to be the Jerry Springer show, and it won't be. The changes we are making have nothing to do with suppressing opinions and everything to do with enforcing a standard of conduct. It's simple really: say your peace, respect others even if you don't respect their opinions, remember there are over 38,000 other members who's views and wants have to be weighed, and don't hog the microphone.

Back