• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Elio Three Wheel Car

Poo-poo I will. Running over a small animal carcass with a Can-Am is not going to be

It would appear that the poo-pooing of hitting a small animal carcass does not include the 48,000 deer vehicle accidents in Michigan last year.

Then again, perhaps the deer are smaller in New Jersey:)

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
Life 71,449

The Polaris Slingshot is a motorcycle, not a car. (As difficult as that is to believe even more so once you see one up close)
Elio doesn't want it classified as a motorcycle. Elio doesn't want it classified as a car, but they're supposedly putting air bags in it.

I think Elio is trying to create an "autocycle" category, working with state legislators.
Even though I'm on their mailing list and waiting list, I'm undecided if I think they're trying to scam us all with this new category.
Hmmm... Let's not call it a M/C, then people will think it's dangerous and also need a motorcycle class, a test, and an endorsement.
Let's also not call it a car, then it will need to pass NHTSA crash tests.

The deer will still be there whether you're on two or three wheels. I'd rather not hit a deer at all, but I think I'd be able to better maintain some control if I was on three wheels as opposed to two.

It would appear that the poo-pooing of hitting a small animal carcass does not include the 48,000 deer vehicle accidents in Michigan last year.

Then again, perhaps the deer are smaller in New Jersey:)

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
Life 71,449

Not my thing...but OK. Sure looks like some serious blind spots and some tiny mirrors:dunno Guess getting used to the rear camera view would be key.

Interesting. I'll bet sticking one of those away, if you have the spare money, will be a good future investment.
OM

We are signing up for one for our family business / personal use.

We are working out the various bugs of a car sharing program. At a minimum it (or another choice) would be a 1 for 1 replacement of an aging vehicle. A change in our home base could turn it into a 1 for 2 change in the fleet. An additional upside for me in the share program is an increase in viable days to commute by motorcycle.

Car sharing programs may be the real future for vehicles like the Elio. Car2Go and Hour Car are two examples in the Twin Cities we have used. Issues with where we use the vehicle moved them to an emergency option and had us looking at doing it internally. The Elio offers a seemingly comparable vehicle to the SmartCar Car2Go uses. The Smart worked as a vehicle for our intended use, limitations in Car2Go service area was the limiting issue.

The base, comparably equipped, gas model Smart has a combined EPA rating of 36 mpg and lists for $13,270. The e version rings in at a base price of $12,490, has potential for additional operating savings but does not have the range for our application.

It is a different way of looking at meeting transportation needs. It won’t work for everyone. School is still out if it works for us. We have been at it for three months of a one year test. So far it looks like it’s working and an Elio will be a nice addition.

Not my thing...but OK. Sure looks like some serious blind spots and some tiny mirrors:dunno Guess getting used to the rear camera view would be key.

Back-up cameras are great, but building cars with poor rear and side visibility seems to be the fashion these days.

I got to see one up close at the Iola old car show .This impress's the heck out of me.I'm patiently waiting for one .I'm getting this same color.

Attachments

• 2015071095182457.jpg
    2015071095182457.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 167
  • 0710151823 (1).jpg
    0710151823 (1).jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 168
  • 20150710_182512 (1).jpg
    20150710_182512 (1).jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 167
Poo-poo I will. Running over a small animal carcass with a Can-Am is not going to be catastrophic. If it was, Can-Ams would be disintegrating all over the place. The Spyder actually has the same size wheels and the same ground clearance of many small cars.
Many times, we swerve to avoid things that will do us no damage if we chose to ride it out.

While at the dells rally I hit a 140 lb deer with a 350 Honda and never fell and was doing 45mph,its the luck of the draw. If you don't want any problems don't get out of bed in the morning, but even then the roof can fall on your head!

If this turns out to be a viable manufacturer, you will be able to walk into a dealership and by whatever they are selling, when they get to that point. Giving money to a new, company for a yet not-yet-built machine, is a bad idea. If you remember your history, this how how Adolph Hitler sold Volkswagen's to Germans. Not a single person ever received a car while he was in power, but the money did help finance the lead-up to the second world war. While I doubt that a bad investment in a new vehicle company will have such a pernicious outcome, it is best to wait to see if the new car is ever built, and if it is, is it a piece of junk or not.

Pete

Could well go the way of the Corbin Sparrow. I'm not sure that the aerial view of their "factory" in Louisiana is real. And they don't have any ACTUAL locations posted for dealers. I think you would have to be pretty trusting (gullible?) to put your money down at this point.

That's why people have faith ,in a motorcycle ,country, car ,club, religion, people and themselves.negativeism is the easy way. I already know certain bmw models are junk!

If this turns out to be a viable manufacturer, you will be able to walk into a dealership and by whatever they are selling, when they get to that point. Giving money to a new, company for a yet not-yet-built machine, is a bad idea. If you remember your history, this how how Adolph Hitler sold Volkswagen's to Germans. Not a single person ever received a car while he was in power, but the money did help finance the lead-up to the second world war. While I doubt that a bad investment in a new vehicle company will have such a pernicious outcome, it is best to wait to see if the new car is ever built, and if it is, is it a piece of junk or not.

Pete
WoW.
On the other end of the spectrum, quite a few things (vehicles too), that didn't quite make it, are quite valuable in the eyes of a collector. DeLorean comes to mind.
IIRC the Queen of Spain had some faith in a guy named Columbus. If no one tried anything new, no one would be reading this post :)
OM

Columbus did not invest in a catamaran that had never floated when he headed to the new world. There is nothing wrong with trying something new, but investing in a company that is essentially hand-building consumer grade cars and needs you to give them money before you get the car may be more akin to investing with Barnie Madoff than buying an Apple watch.

As a general rule, automobiles are not good investments. I'm still trying to motivate myself into getting excited about a three-wheel car. Maybe they will feature this car on Top Gear when it finally hits the road.

Pete

WoW.
On the other end of the spectrum, quite a few things (vehicles too), that didn't quite make it, are quite valuable in the eyes of a collector. DeLorean comes to mind.
IIRC the Queen of Spain had some faith in a guy named Columbus. If no one tried anything new, no one would be reading this post :)
OM

Some of us are more, or less, risk averse than others. Some of us are more, or less, adventurous than others. We each decide where our personalities and resources put us on the continua.

I hit a pregnant doe at 75mph last year in my wife's Avalon, which totaled the car. The State Trooper at the scene told me that if I had been in my corolla, which was my normal ride, I wouldn't be here to write this. After seeing how much damage a deer can do to a car as big as the Avalon I'd never want to hit one in the Elio. Still, I'm on the waiting list and hope they succeed!

I was having coffee once with a friend who is an orthopedic surgeon. A teenager pulled into the parking lot on a Honda three wheeler. The doc looked out the window at the Honda and remarked, "Those things made a lot of surgeons rich ." He said he'd get one or two cases a week of serious injuries sustained in three wheeler accidents. And yes the doc is a rider.

So do motorcycles!

Back