• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

MOTORREADS: 25 February 2009

mika

Still Wondering
478487955_4ZgLo-XL.jpg

thevintagent.blogspot.com: Charles Sconina Part 1 – The ‘Sconina Special’

moto22.com: BMW K 1300 S Touchdown

The Dutch site Oliepeil.nl has sources that put the yet to be announced price of the S1000RR equal to the new Yamaha R1 in Europe. Stay tuned for U.S. pricing.

motoflash.ro: Ducati 999 S full carbon

Bikes in the Fast Lane: BMW’s new off road skills course for the G450X

cmgonline.com: A natural gas bike

BMW is doing all sorts of things we have not seen from them before.
<object width="425" height="271"><param name="FlashVars" value="requestUrl=http://www.bmw-web.tv/en/stage/playerxml?items%5B0%5D=tqyJnnv"/><param name="movie" value="http://www.bmw-web.tv/en/player.swf?requestUrl=http://www.bmw-web.tv/en/stage/playerxml?items%5B0%5D=tqyJnnv" /><embed src="http://www.bmw-web.tv/en/player.swf?requestUrl=http://www.bmw-web.tv/en/stage/playerxml?items%5B0%5D=tqyJnnv" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="271" allowfullscreen="true" FlashVars="requestUrl=http://www.bmw-web.tv/en/stage/playerxml?items%5B0%5D=tqyJnnv"></embed></object>

nni.nikkei.co.jp: Foreign motorbikes rev up Japan sales despite shrinking market.

triumphespassione.comtranslated: BSA – Triumph Parenti Serpenti
A quick look back at the merger, and the problems of bringing to British bike companies together

Triumph marketing
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sHaUKlNLPxk&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sHaUKlNLPxk&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

BENCHRACING:

Yes they are talking about Japanese Harley racing here.
superbike.co.uk: Japanese AVCC Harley-Davidson

livepile.com: WERA previews its march schedule

A different look at the economics of racing
caradisiac.com: Still room on the fairings.

roadraingworld.com: American Kenny Noyes signs with Kawasaki Spain

motorcyclenews.com: Why is racing so expensive?

bikesportnews.com: Burns’ MV Agusta undergoes major surgery

gnccracing.com: Wide-open battle for GNCC Championship begins next week

gnccracing.com: The week in GNCC

World Championship number 3 for Pfeiffer

479996217_btcDW-M.jpg

For the third consecutive year, Chris Pfeiffer has won the Indoor Stunt Riding World Championship. Riding his BMW F 800 R, the talented German claimed this important victory at the Swiss-Moto Exhibition in Zurich on Sunday 22 February. Hungarian riders Balasz Herzceg and Zoltan Angyal finished in second and third places respectively.

In the absence of an international outdoor championship for both continents, the Indoor World Championship is the world's most important event in sports stunt riding. At this prestigious annual competition in Zurich, thousands of visitors gather to see the best stunt riders from all over the world perform their tricks.

Furthermore, the organisers create a special surface for the event, coating the floor with 70 tonnes of the finest asphalt that allows the riders to perform at their best, safe in the knowledge there are no bumps, holes and scratches to create problems during their complicated tricks and combos. With no adverse weather conditions to worry about, and a big crowd cheering on the competitors, the atmosphere at the SWISS-MOTO is always electric.

As the reigning double world champion and title defender, Chris Pfeiffer was the hot favourite to take the victory again, but after picking up a nasty flu bug, his participation in the competition was uncertain. Unable to train properly during the first day of practice, Pfeiffer had plenty of time to notice that his rivals had all ‘upped their game’ and had seriously improved their routines, so an easy title defence for him was definitely out of the question.

During the first qualifying heat, Chris was struggling with his energy levels and ‘only’ managed to achieve third place on the score sheet. "I had to use a few hot tricks from my repertoire, because I just wasn’t feeling fit enough, but it was just about enough to keep me in contention" said the 38-year-old. And after gorging on a large slab of Swiss chocolate as a homeopathic energy booster, Pfeiffer’s second round of qualifying was just about perfect, as he scored maximum points from the judges. This brought him back up to joint first place on aggregate score, going into Sunday’s finals.

As the last of the 16 semi-finalists to enter the specially created 50 x 15m wide ‘Action Area’ on Sunday, Pfeiffer was feeling good enough to show his best tricks. However, about halfway through his routine, he crashed while doing a one-handed wheelie circle – a trick he invented called the ‘Touch-Ground Circle’. Chris was able to complete his routine with no other dramas, although he knew that points would be deducted for his mistake.

With his legendary determination and the hope that he would not encounter any more bad luck, Pfeiffer went into the final, supported by his fans, family and thousands of spectators at the Zurich exhibition centre. He showed one trick after another – fluid, dynamic and as solid as a Swiss clock – and was duly awarded with the day’s best score by the five judges. This was enough to give him the clear victory, and for the third consecutive time, Chris claimed the indoor world championship title for stunt riding.

"I was quiet before the finals started and just happy that I had the chance to do it all again on the BMW F 800 R,” said Chris. “The atmosphere at the Swiss-Moto was amazing, so I just really went for it out there. When I’d finished my routine and waited for the scores from the judges, I had a feeling that I had done enough – and when I got the confirmation, I was overjoyed! Without a doubt, this was the toughest of all three World Cup titles I have won, so this victory is the most enjoyable yet!”

BMW G450X Factory Team 2009

British Enduro Championship Rnd 1

Tuesday, 24 February 2009

Knight wins ’09 BEC opener

BMW Motorrad Motorsport team rider David Knight has made the perfect start to his participation in the ’09 British Enduro Championship by winning the opening round of the five-event series, the Diss MCC organised Muntjac Enduro. Competing in the event for the first time, and returning to the BEC after a two-year absence, Knighter ended the one-day event ahead of 450cc Husqvarna mounted Si Wakely and 450cc Husaberg rider Tom Sagar.

Following several weeks of testing with the BMW Motorrad Motorsport team in preparation for the ’09 World Enduro Championship all eyes were on Knight at the start of the Muntjac Enduro as he made his first ever outing on his 480cc BMW in a time-card enduro. Knowing that mistakes on the event’s special test would be costly, David made a cautious start to the day and placed third on the opening test. Just one-second behind the fastest rider Si Wakely, David then placed fifth on the second test having staled his bike in one of the tight, rutted turns. The second test was won by won by TM mounted Frenchman Rodrig Thain.

Close to four seconds behind Si Wakely in the overall results with only the final special tests remaining, David comfortably cleaned the event’s tight time control after completing the rough and sandy 41-minute loop notably faster than any other rider.

With the third and final special tests set to decide the event’s finishing order Knight made sure he didn’t make any mistakes. Feeling more and more comfortable on the test with each passing lap Knight set a time close to seven seconds quicker than any other rider and in doing so moved to the top of the results and claimed victory at the Muntjac Enduro.

David Knight: “It’s great to start my return to the British Enduro Championship with a win. The Muntjac is a tough old event, especially because there are two tests early in the day and then one right at the very end. It’s the type of special tests where it’s hard t pull any real advantage but easy to lose time if you make any mistakes. I didn’t make too many mistakes but the first test was really slippery. I tried to push hard in a few corners and almost came off, so I took it easy.

“The second test was much better. There were a few lines in the corners, which made it a lot easier. I was going well but then I stalled it in a corner, which made it hard to keep my rhythm. I knew that me performances were going in the right direction, and although I didn’t win that second test I was quite confident that I could go a fair bit quicker in the last test.

“The unique thing about the Muntjac Enduro is that after your first two tests you have all day to think about the last test because you don’t ride it again until right at the end of the day. The tight time controls sorted me out. I knew that I wouldn’t lose any time. The final tight time control was great - I knew I was up on time so I took it steady during the second half. I was able to carry that pace into the final test. I’d also made a few small adjustments to the bike, which helped, so I felt good during the last test. I knew I needed to do and had a good run. I guess not winning the first two tests meant I had it all to do in the last one but that’s the way it goes with a test like this. I didn’t win the first two but I wasn’t too far behind. If I’d have pushed too hard too soon there’s a good chance I would have made a mistake, crashed, and then winning probably wouldn’t have been possible at all.”

Results – BEC Rnd 1, Muntjac Enduro
1. David Knight (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) 14.34:86
2. Si Wakely (Husqvarna) 14.38:06
3. Tom Sagar (Husaberg) 14.45:79
4. Daryl Bolter (KTM) 14.45:97
5. Paul Edmondson (Suzuki) 14.47:39

AMA Pro Racingx

roadracingworld.com: Final round of reader feedback on AMA Pro Racing’s 2009 TV deal

MotoGP

bottpower.com: About the Moto2 airbox

478487932_g2MBR-XL.jpg

technologyreview.com: Electric vehicles and plug-in hybrids –
Amid a welter of high-profile announcements, electric vehicles and plub-in hybrids will remain rare sights

topspeed: Tramontana R-Edition first details revealed

Cage Racing News

BMW M3 racing version roll-out
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QDw9ab5_lwE&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QDw9ab5_lwE&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

223719402_NGkad-XL.jpg

worldofbmw.com: The time is right for the Roadster

BMW and MotorSport Vision

02/24/2009

M is the most powerful and evocative letter in the BMW alphabet. The character that denotes BMW’s motorsport history and its prowess in developing road-going sports cars now enters a new chapter in its history.

In a first for BMW UK, the marque has teamed up with MotorSport Vision (MSV) to offer a package of high octane ‘M’ car thrills on some of Europe’s best circuits. Now anyone can drive the class-leading BMW M3 as part of MSV’s RaceMaster experience.

MSV’s expert instructors will help customers to extract every inch of performance from this outstanding machine. A fleet of BMW M3 Coup?®s will be offered for the RaceMaster driving experiences at former British Grand Prix circuit Brands Hatch in Kent and Oulton Park in Cheshire. As part of the RaceMaster package thrill-seekers also get the chance to undertake some flying laps of the circuit in a Formula Brands single-seater race car.

MSV will also be introducing an exclusive M3-only experience at Bedford Autodrome, in addition to the two other circuits, with even more track time behind the wheel. The BMW M3 will feature in MSV’s high octane corporate driving days and will be available to selected trackday participants at Club MSV events across its circuits.

Schooling for the next Andy Priaulx
The BMW experience is to be extended to the next generation of car owners, courtesy of the MotorSport Vision YoungDrive experience. Now children aged 13 and over who are at least 4’10’’ tall will be able to get the perfect introduction to driving in a safe, traffic free environment at either Brands Hatch, Oulton Park or Bedford Autodrome. Youngsters are allowed behind the wheel of a BMW 1 Series and start with the basics of car operation before graduating to car control and hazard perception and avoidance.

Jonathan Palmer, Chief Executive of MotorSport Vision, said: “BMW is a name synonymous with motorsport success, from its race winning Formula One team to its three World Touring Car titles with British superstar Andy Priaulx at the wheel. I’m delighted BMW has chosen MotorSport Vision as a partner for its UK-based driving experiences, as their outstanding machinery and expertise will elevate our driving packages to an even higher level, to give our guests a truly unforgettable experience.”

Tim Abbott, Managing Director for BMW UK Ltd, said: “With the operation MSV runs and the circuits at which they are based, BMW couldn’t wish for a more logical partner. MSV perfectly complements the ethos of BMW M while at the same time provides the next generation of drivers with their first taste of a BMW and the joy of driving.”

BMW will also power the essential race meeting safety vehicles at four MSV circuits – Brands Hatch, Oulton Park, Snetterton and Cadwell Park. The marque will provide four M3s to be used as safety cars, four BMW X6 medical cars and four X5 course vehicles.

439062079_Uzso4-XL.jpg

WOOT.com

Bike Candy

image80.png

More pics at geeketto.com

Comments:

Back