• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Electrical Question,,,

C

cactuspat

83 R100rt system not charging, Replace diode board with a omega with solid mounts and replaced brushes on gen. 8000 miles ago and no problems,now it is not charging again. Gen light does not come on with ignition on,pulled instrument cluster , checked light.....Good ,but replaced with new one that checked out good too.. The question is would the Gen. light be off if I had a bad rotor ?

83 R100rt system not charging, Replace diode board with a omega with solid mounts and replaced brushes on gen. 8000 miles ago and no problems,now it is not charging again. Gen light does not come on with ignition on,pulled instrument cluster , checked light.....Good ,but replaced with new one that checked out good too.. The question is would the Gen. light be off if I had a bad rotor ?

Yes - check for continuity between the two slip rings on the rotor - use a business card to isolate the rotor from the brushes before you do the test.

Thank you Paul , for your quick response , my ohm meters batt. has died and not a 9 volt in the house, but I am not sure how to check the continuity if I did ,could you please tell me and explain it too me again. thanks for your wisdom Pat. edit,,, know where to put probes ,need to know what setting on meter,and what to look for thanks again.

Last edited:
Each of your alternators brushes ride on a copper ring on the rotor. Lift them up against the spring tension with a tiny screw driver and slip a bussiness card under them so that when you release them the spring tension holds them down on the card. When you get a battery for your Volt/Ohm/Amp meter, switch it to "ohms" and touch one lead to each of the copper rings on your rotor where the brushes would normally ride. Any observed value other than 0 would indicate an "in tact" winding. 0 or open or OL would indicate a failed rotor.

Back