• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Dunlop Tire Rebate on p19 of Owners News is non-existent

After seeing the rebate for Dunlop Tires on page 19 of the April 2023 Owners News, I purchased two new tires before the April 30, 2023 deadline.

I then went to www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com to fill out the rebate. When I clicked on PROMOS, and answered the questions I was told there are NO promo for Dunlop motorcycle tires in the month of April 2023.

Did the staff of MOA get fooled by Dunlop into publishing this false advertisement? Seems that Dunlop got enriched by this, while MOA members got cheated.

I also bought a Dunlop tire and had it installed at a local motorcycle shop. When I went to the website it turns out he wasn't listed as one of their "dealers" and the website dead-ended. Oh well,that is the tire I wanted anyway but ....

Saw that ad, and considered it. They did make good on their rally coupon offer, and perhaps had second thoughts.

I also bought a Dunlop tire and had it installed at a local motorcycle shop. When I went to the website it turns out he wasn't listed as one of their "dealers" and the website dead-ended. Oh well,that is the tire I wanted anyway but ....

You have to purchase the tires from a Dunlop Pro dealer.

After seeing the rebate for Dunlop Tires on page 19 of the April 2023 Owners News, I purchased two new tires before the April 30, 2023 deadline.

I then went to www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com to fill out the rebate. When I clicked on PROMOS, and answered the questions I was told there are NO promo for Dunlop motorcycle tires in the month of April 2023.

Did the staff of MOA get fooled by Dunlop into publishing this false advertisement? Seems that Dunlop got enriched by this, while MOA members got cheated.

Contact Dunlop. The form shows you have until the end of May to submit your claim. You have to purchase from a Dunlop Pro dealer.
I've never had any problems with Dunlop rebates when buying from a Pro Dealer.

I think I see the problem when looking at page 19 of the ON. The rebate that's ending this moth was only for the Dunlop Roadsmart 4.
The ON shows a picture of Roadsmart 4s but it does not state the rebate is only on the Roadsmart 4.

When I use the link provided and click on Promo I see this.

RSIV PD FEB/APR #2549

To qualify for this rebate offer, tires must be purchased from a Dunlop Pro Dealer location. Roadsmart IV Tires: Purchase 1 tire and get a $25 rebate. Purchase 2 tires and get a $50 rebate. Purchase 2 tires + Installation and get a $100 rebate

It also show a rebates for other road tires and another rebate for off road tires.

When I use the link provided I see the rebate for the Roadsmart 4 and two other rebates.
Here's the one for the RS4

RSIV PD FEB/APR #2549

To qualify for this rebate offer, tires must be purchased from a Dunlop Pro Dealer location. Roadsmart IV Tires: Purchase 1 tire and get a $25 rebate. Purchase 2 tires and get a $50 rebate. Purchase 2 tires + Installation and get a $100 rebate

https://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/experience/promotions/

When I put the information and select from their list of dealers, this is what I get:

Sorry, there are no current offers for online purchases. While there may be no rebates available at this time, we still hope you enjoy your new Dunlops. Thanks for trusting us to be part of your ride!

This questions never ask what type of Dunlop Tire either.

I would presume that if I selected from their list of dealers, that I was good.

Lee - Maybe the question should be, did MOA staff type in the wordage on page 19, or did Dunlop supply you with the wordage?

I should also note, that I could not find anywhere on Dunlop's website a list of rules for the promo.

The link I added in post number 6 works for me.
I did not work all the way through the form because I knew the Roadsmart 3 tires we recently purchased were not included in the recent rebate and I ordered online so I could get the tires sent to Texas.
Most of the time I buy from a Pro dealer in Iowa.

Lee - You missed the point. You can get to the link, you listed above, from page 19 of the April 2023 MOA magazine. To make this exchange better, I have owned numerous companies, including an IT business, where we built websites for companies like Dunlop. We also worked extensively with several motorcycle distributors. I am very familiar with the Federal and State laws regarding coupon, rebates, promotions, etc.

To be clear, I am not blaming or insinuating that the MOA did anything wrong. I would speculate that Dunlop provided the MOA with the details, and the MOA provided a free "plug" for them. And, the MOA probably believed that MOA members would benefit from it. And, a few probably did. In the future, the MOA might consider asking for a link to their T&C when asked to plug a promotion. Then list it with the plug. Then member would believe that the MOA has their back.

The Federal Trade Commission clearly states that any Rebate promotions MUST clearly detail any and all terms and conditions that consumers need to know. They MUST put the T&C in a location that is easy to find and see. And, the Terms & Conditions cannot be put in obscure locations, and they must be in normal sized print. They cannot be buried at the bottom of a page or other obscure locations. From Dunlop's coupon program (at the link you provided) it does NOT show any Terms and Conditions. And, once you start to work your way into the Dunlop Coupon program, you quickly learn that you will not be able to finish the Coupon process without buying the tires first. Most people would then proceed to buy tires. That is the process flow that Dunlop expects their customers to use, or that is how the computer program is designed to work (program is actually made with Wordpress).

A small number of visitors might unexpectedly notice that the coupon entry front web page continues further. There they would find some or all of Dunlop's promotion(s). And, if you click on one of them, this is the only Terms and Conditions that they state, "To qualify for this rebate offer, tires must be purchased from a Dunlop Pro Dealer location.". They do not say that you MUST visit the Pro Dealer location, they just say that you must purchase from them. And, I did purchase my tires from a Pro Dealer. And, I did so through the Internet. So, you would think that I would be eligible. At this point, most people would proceed to purchase tires through a Pro Dealer.

But, wait! Buried deep inside their coupon system, they have the real set of Terms and Conditions for this promotion. There, they inform you that you MUST physically visit the Pro Dealer to be eligible.

And, for those people still interested, here is the real T&C for this Dunlop Promotion:

dunlop-TaC.jpg

I have a very expensive 32" 4k monitor, and I found it very difficult to read. Furthermore, there is not version number on it, and they clearly state that they can change the Terms & Conditions at any time without prior notice. So, beware that you may comply with their demands, and still not receive the $50 mastercard with a 6 month life.

From an IT prospective, my opinion is that the coupon program was designed to attract dealers. If a few customers are paid under the coupon program, that is still cheaper then advertising.

My position is that it is only $50 I got tricked out of, and I'll just move on with my life.

I guess I took a different route to get the rebate form.
I opened the PDF file of the rebate form and the terms and conditions are right next to to where you fill out the form in easy to read text.
I printed the form a couple months ago as a reminder in case I bought RS4 tires from the guy in Des Moines I usually go to.

When you discussed this with the Pro Dealer that you purchased the tires from, what did they say?

OM

I agree with every point 23217 mentioned and think like most rebates it's intentionally a little ambiguous.

A few years ago when buying parts at a MC dealer I overheard a conversation between the dealer's P&A buyer and a rep from (I believe) Tucker Rocky distributor who was trying to convince the parts buyer to place a stock order of tires. The buyer argued that they now only stock tires in the most popular sizes and even then only keep limited stock because tire inventory turns too slow, due to "most people now buying them on-line from places who make $10-$15 per tire."

The rep came back with "you really need to promote and take advantage of the tire rebate offers that our manufacturers have a couple times a year and then you can compete because the mail order sellers don't get these offers."

The buyer told him "we tried those and they weren't very effective, most guys don't buy a tire just because it's on sale for $25 off, they buy when their tire is worn out and at that point check prices and generally order on-line and have an indy mount it for them."

The buyer told him "we tried those and they weren't very effective, most guys don't buy a tire just because it's on sale for $25 off, they buy when their tire is worn out and at that point check prices and generally order on-line and have an indy mount it for them."

You mean the typical rider doesn't keep a set of tires on hand?

I mount a tire, then buy a tire. I keep a set of tires on hand for my regularly ridden motorcycle(s). I just replaced both late in the fall, about the time I was done riding and ordered a new set about a month ago to make sure I was ready for spring.

I mount a tire, then buy a tire. I keep a set of tires on hand for my regularly ridden motorcycle(s). I just replaced both late in the fall, about the time I was done riding and ordered a new set about a month ago to make sure I was ready for spring.

Why?

I can order tires from [your choice of online tire sellers] and have them in like two days so I can mount them. I'd rather not have $300 of my cash sitting around in a pair of tires I might not use for a few months.

I like these guys: https://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/tires

Free shipping and they're usually here in two days, depending on what time of day I order them, even during Covid. My brother likes Summit racing and he gets the same down in S. Texas.

I guess I don't understand the problem being solved by having tires hang around the house for months. Help me out. :)

Why?

I can order tires from [your choice of online tire sellers] and have them in like two days so I can mount them. I'd rather not have $300 of my cash sitting around in a pair of tires I might not use for a few months.

I like these guys: https://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/tires

Free shipping and they're usually here in two days, depending on what time of day I order them, even during Covid. My brother likes Summit racing and he gets the same down in S. Texas.

I guess I don't understand the problem being solved by having tires hang around the house for months. Help me out. :)

Those of us who spent the fall and winter trying to acquire Dunlop Trailmax Mission tires in 120/70-19 size for GS bikes are quite likely to be keeping one at the ready in the future. A riding buddy and I both ordered GS tires last fall, and they only became available again a few weeks ago, at least through the online stores. I usually order tires when I’m close to halfway to the wear bars just to assure I’ll have a set when I need them. And, there have been years in the past where I’ve gone through multiple sets of tires in a single season and wanted to be able to change them out on my own schedule.

Best,
DeVern

Why?

I can order tires from [your choice of online tire sellers] and have them in like two days so I can mount them. I'd rather not have $300 of my cash sitting around in a pair of tires I might not use for a few months. :)

I can get tires over night if I want to pay the freight, but a couple days out is about right.

So you have never had a puncture in an non-repairable area of the tire and want to ride? I have. I got a bad puncture a couple days before a planned trip. I plugged it, but I was wary of riding any distance on it. I had tires on hand so no big deal. If I would have ordered them I would have had to delay the trip a day, or pay for expedited shipping.

I figure I will burn them up, so why not have them on hand and swap them out when convenient? I have bought new tires from online retailers that were older than the tires I just tossed. I have oil and a oil filter on hand too.

Also, I certainly do not worry about the tires getting old as I put on at least 6,000 miles a year and most years 10,000+. A tire never gets old when I have it in my possession. I am planning on a bunch of riding this summer and may burn up a couple sets of tires on my RT. The two tires I have on hand will get mounted right around July 1st, if not earlier. So, if I waited I might get tires that are three months newer, big deal! Plus, ever order a tire and the warehouse didn't have it? It has happened to me. Luckily it was for my stock, but if I didn't keep a pair on had I might not have gotten a tire when I wanted it.

I looked at the tires I just tossed. I swapped them out last fall and tossed them this week with our city's clean up week. When I replaced them last fall they were not even 1-1/2 years old reading the date code from the tires.

If you don't put on the miles, or if you have multiple motorcycles then the reason for keeping tires on hand diminishes greatly. My RT is my only ride and I want to keep it rolling.

I mount a tire, then buy a tire. I keep a set of tires on hand for my regularly ridden motorcycle(s)......

LOL no, at least typical riders around here don't. Many don't even get to ordering tires until the cords are showing! I'm kinda like you but I generally don't order tires for a regularly ridden bike until they're down to 25-30% remaining which generally leaves 1,500 - 2,000 miles.

LOL no, at least typical riders around here don't. Many don't even get to ordering tires until the cords are showing! I'm kinda like you but I generally don't order tires for a regularly ridden bike until they're down to 25-30% remaining which generally leaves 1,500 - 2,000 miles.

Same here. 5 bikes in the garage, so tires are kind of an ongoing thing, but buying them ahead of time was something I hadn't seen before.

Thanks for the thoughts, folks.

Back