• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Drive Shaft spline lube was easy

KCinSB

OKay, for what it's worth, my worries about removing and reinstalling the drive shaft without removing the swingarm were unnecessary :p . The book just starts in as though you must, but after posting here, I just decided to try myself. If anyone is interested, it wasn't that big a deal, and as always, will be 1/3 the time next attempt. :thumb I would mention that tools needed are large metric allens (12mm) socket type, a 77 Ft lb, and 65 In lb capable torque wrenches. These for the final drive pivot bearing setup. To get the shaft out, the snap ring was holding it inplace, I just made a tool out of a short piece of electrical conduit. Bent up a "tooth" on the end, clamped on a vise grips, put it inside the spline, and tapped the grips with a hammer lightly. BMW built the thing to be removed/installed, with a "stand" in the swingarm tube to hold the shaft up for final drive spline reassembly. Getting the forward u-joint into the proper position to meet the trans shaft wasn't nearly as difficult as I'd expected. I just used the removed final drive u-joint as a hand hold to guide the shaft into the swing arm tube at a horizontal position, and once engaged, smacked it into the snap ring. I would warn the the book is necessary, and some mechanical confidence. KC

Funny story since this is the "boggie man" of jobs for me. My 88 K75 is due to have this serviced and I lack the confidence to try. Did you take any pictures?
I am still waiting to hear somebody in Central Florida who would perform this task on their bikes and I could be a fly on the wall.
Thanks for sharing your tips. They could prove to be useful in the near future.
Regards,

Gil

No ex-splination needed...

Spline work is kind of a goal. When done there is satisfaction, eh?
I sometimes think about having the bike half way apart when riding down the road at 60+... thinking... "did I tighten those tranny bolts?

tim lindstrom
91 k100lt 136,000 miles

Just keep in mind that the front driveshaft splineson the trans output shaft, are not usually prone to wear. The rear spline at the final drive is the more critical end. Fairly easy to access when changing a tire.
Just as important are the clutch splines which require removing, or at least loosening the transmission and swingarm.

Funny story since this is the "boggie man" of jobs for me. My 88 K75 is due to have this serviced and I lack the confidence to try. Did you take any pictures?
I am still waiting to hear somebody in Central Florida who would perform this task on their bikes and I could be a fly on the wall.
Thanks for sharing your tips. They could prove to be useful in the near future.
Regards,

Gil

Gil, a visit to the IBMWR Tech pages should give you all the confidence boost you need to do this yourself. Here is a link to one of the spline lube articles (photos included).

http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech/driveshaft-spline-lube.shtml

My buddy and I did a clutch spline lube on my K75 Tuesday morning. Stripping off the parts to get down to the transmission is probably the most time consuming part, but everything comes off logically and IMO is hard to screw up.

We took my bike all the way down to replace the o-ring on the clutch basket (as a precaution) and put new rubbers in the alternator drive, so we didn't break any records, and it took about 4.5 hours. If its the first time, I would set aside a whole day since you don't know what shape the driveshaft is in, and some of the fasteners might be stubborn.

This job is a lot easier with a friend.

Many here make it sound easy. I am sure it is once you are familiar with the process. Once I see it done the first time and see the order of the procedure, I would feel safer. there are little things here and there that I picked up. For example, just recently I learned that the center stand has to come off and an alternative method of holding the bike needs to be in place. I also learned that is best to have the bike propped high in a strong table or platform. I am also afraid into running into bad seals, or any parts that may need replacing which I don't know how to recognize. Once I experience this the first time, I believe it would be a simple yearly task.
I am still waiting for a Central Florida Tech day in this or any matter. Keep me posted!

Back