• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Drinking & Riding

Is it okay to drink and ride?

• I refuse to drink and ride :mad

Votes: 42 79.2%
  • It's OK to have a beer or two (very moderate drinking) :dunno

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • I like to party like its 1999! :beer

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters
Your right

Magwa's right about the poll of course. There is no doubt, in my opinion, that as far as the motorcycling population goes, that its probably about 50/50.

I'll be at Bike week in Daytona this weekend and my guess would probably be 60/40 in favor of those folks drinking and riding. I hope I'm wrong.

I just wanted to confirm, as a relatively new rider, that other folks that I listen to on this forum felt as I did regarding drinking and riding.

I've read enough to know that many of the forum members feel as I do. Good enough for me. I personally don't feel "peer pressure" as I did 20 years ago and the ride really is enough on its own. The "high" I get going over Unicoi Gap, which is less than a mile from my subdivsion, is much better than a beer buzz anyway.

Good job on the 23 years Magwa.

Know your limit...don't get sloppy...drive meekly...eat food...be ever diligent...if in doubt, toss the keys in some dark place...live to ride another day...really, it's no difference than with a car...I say this because "there are those times", but, really, I much prefer driving straight and sober (or buzzed up on coffee)...

My favorite riding and drinking story found me taking my bike home so some friends and I could hit some bars. I didn't want to take a chance.

While waiting at a stop sign I was rear ended on my nearly new 1983 Yamaha 650 Turbo. I did a backflip and landed on my A$$ with the guy's front bumper slamming into my helmet.

As you may have guessed, he was not only drunk, but on parole, no insurance in a borrowed car that was not registered.

My friends in the car behind him jumped out and held him down till the cops came. Needless to say, he went back to prison, my bike went to the junkyard, and my head required MANY drinks to forget the pain, and loss of my bike.

Jim:beer :1drink :mad

I limit my drinking to times when I am operating heavy equipment. There's nothing like putting on a good buzz and getting in the seat of an excavator or tractor loader backhoe and then showing off how macho I am!

I'm with the others here who ask who would admit it even if they did.

When I'm on the bike, it's like I'm flying a 747 full of passengers and all my senses are on hyper alert and I like it that way. That's why I ride.

Nah, for me, riding is like meditation. I won't sip any alcohol or inhale any latin lettuce if I'm getting back on the saddle. The potential adverse consequences outweigh the benefits.

My So is a ER Physician, Take my word for it, you don't want to hear the stories he has come home and told me. He also rides a bike, It is just not worth it, even in full gear like the one last night. It is not worth it. Please don't drink and drive. There is nothing there but you and the pavement or the car that comes left and center and hits you like the one that did last night. He didn't make it sorry to say. Save the drinking after the ride.

Last edited:
Blue Knight, In a lot of cases it does not hit home. They always think it will never happen to them , that they are control of the situation, not always true. The guy last night WAS drinking, but the driver of the car was more drunk. Unless it happens to a good friend I don't think it hits home. The moral of the story is DON'T drink and drive period.It's NOT worth it.:cry

1 beer = key away until tomorrow.

BTDT once. Scared the crap outta me when I realized how quickly I'd gotten home. That was about 30 years ago.

Once you accept the rule - it's easy to live with - especially with a crowd of BMW riders (another reason to love our group).. about everyone *understands* exactly where you're coming from.

Ride Sober :p

Always use Your best judgement, and everyone knows that you think better sober. Hell every test I took in college while drunk I flunked. (just kidding)
The barley therapy is always better after the bike is put away and the bs starts to roll out around a campfire.

Cheers,

Back