• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Do you want the new R1300 water cooled engine boxer?

BMW riders are definitely a unique group. I am imagining a Ducati or KTM forum where the posters are complaining about a new bike because it has more horsepower than they want or need, and advanced electronics that are no use to them...;-)
Ain't that the truth. Even across multiple BMW forums, they are typically the most technophobic and curmudgeonly group of riders I've ran into.

BMW riders are definitely a unique group. I am imagining a Ducati or KTM forum where the posters are complaining about a new bike because it has more horsepower than they want or need, and advanced electronics that are no use to them...;-)

Maybe it’s because many older, more mature BMW riders were originally attracted to BMW motorcycles not because of HP or technology, but because of higher quality build materials and relative ease of maintenance compared to other brands. For them, 50 HP was enough to ride to work or even cross country for years, sometimes two-up, and if the bike needed work the rider could usually do it themselves with the supplied tool kit.

Somewhere along the way that original lure has been lost. It’s a good thing for BMW, they ARE selling more bikes, and a good thing for dealers too. With the right marketing, HP and techno-gadgets are attractive to many, and anyone with a decent credit score can buy on a monthly payment plan, so cost is not an issue.

As for those stodgy old riders that grumble about modern BMWs, there are other brands to consider. Maybe the Chinese will build a mid-size shaft-driven boxer twin for them someday.

Even across multiple BMW forums, they are typically the most technophobic and curmudgeonly group of riders I've ran into.

Well smart people don't get impressed by high-tech gizmos that adds very little or nothing to the equation. Lets face it, I am an advertizing execs worst nightmare who feeds on the dumb masses. When I hear "new" I don't go running to it like a puppet.

Sort of like Voice in my both my cars. How high-tech and utterly useless when I can do it like a neanderthal, reach over and adjust something in 1/10th of the time instead of speaking to it and having to repeat myself.

What I like are things that are practical: heated grips, a shaft drive, a big gas tank, a comfortable seat and seating position. Oh and by the way, I am rarely over 5000 RPM on my R1200 GSA. I don't need to race to the next red light because I am not suffering from Short Pecker Syndrome.

What I like are things that are practical: heated grips, a shaft drive, a big gas tank, a comfortable seat and seating position. Oh and by the way, I am rarely over 5000 RPM on my R1200 GSA. I don't need to race to the next red light because I am not suffering from Short Pecker Syndrome.

Wait, I'm confused. I thought the faster you went the longer your pecker got! :)

Me

Here here for Old Camper's post, he hits the nail on the head as to why I bought a BMW in the first place and why I still ride an airhead, disdaining the current BMW company and it's products.

Here here for Global rider as well. St.

There is no end of marketing gimmicks yet A lot of improvements and upgrades over the years are, in fact not just marketing, including much of the tech that is written off.

I don't rush to every new shiny gimmick nor do most tech embracing riders. We do appreciate what technology can give us and learn to understand it, including its limitations and drawbacks and what is worth it and what isn't. Like every bike out there BMWs are all a mix of pros and cons. Mechanically and electrically.

It's the thinking because you don't use/want/need x you're smarter than the average bear that likes/wants x and obviously x must be a marketing gimmick and useless and blah blah.... That's the mentality I can't help but chuckle at. Especially when x is things like ABS, fuel injection, or even things like heated grips, led lights, TFT screens etc. But it's a long list.

Don't mistake personal preference/opinion for an objectively correct fact I guess is my point. They're rarely the same thing... we all have our preferences, but rarely does that make one smarter than another.

For them, 50 HP was enough to ride to work or even cross country for years, sometimes two-up, and if the bike needed work the rider could usually do it themselves with the supplied tool kit.
As for those stodgy old riders that grumble about modern BMWs, there are other brands to consider. Maybe the Chinese will build a mid-size shaft-driven boxer twin for them someday.

There's always Royal Enfield. And if you insist on shaft drive, I understand Ural is still in business.

My answer is still no. My 125 hp RT has plenty of power.

But, I do like that they made the bike lighter, and added a suspension lowering system. If they made one in a 900 cc, I would seriously think about it.

E.

Last edited:
There is a reason one of my old flight students used a R100 GS PD and F650 (each with carbs) to do four round the world tours. Actually he bought the last F650 the year before fuel infection came out on it. No fuel pump to worry about, no fuel infection to worry about or ECUs to worry about. Because when you are in the middle of nowhere, there is nothing like basics. The high tech stuff is great, as long as it works. And if it doesn't, you are screwed.

Would someone please call a wahmbulance? :laugh

Pissing and moaning seems to be a favourite pastime of many here.

And to answer rickdm's question....

Yes, the faster you go the longer your pecker gets. Just ask my wife. :D

As an Instructor, I'll still never reach the potential of my 1250GS..... Plus, the 1300GS will not have the bugs worked out until the 2nd or 3rd ed.

I did a tour of the Alps this summer on an R1250GS, and when you are passing a motor home on an uphill mountain pass I needed every pony that bike could give me.

Just out of curiosity Rick, do you think an extra 10 HP (from the R1250 GS to a R1300 GS) would have made a night and day difference? Speaking from experience, I highly doubt it.

Just out of curiosity Rick, do you think an extra 10 HP (from the R1250 GS to a R1300 GS) would have made a night and day difference? Speaking from experience, I highly doubt it.

No, I love the 1250 engine. The reasons I want the new bike are:

-slimmer and lighter.
-drops 30mm when you stop.
-I had an accident and my 1250GS got totaled.

But as long as they don’t mess up the smoothness and low speed fueling, I’ll take the 10 extra hp!

No, I love the 1250 engine. The reasons I want the new bike are:

-slimmer and lighter.
-drops 30mm when you stop.

Yeah, but nothing really worth talking about...unless you are looking for a new motorcycle which you were.

Sort of like my 2016 R1200 GSA which I would have never bought if I didn't ship my R1150 GSA to Europe in 2010 for my annual tours there to replace a 1980 R65 that I used for my annual Alps tours since 1995. Now there was a difference between 45 HP and 85 HP, but the 85 HP in the R1150 GSA passed anything with ease, two up and loaded.

And strange that without ABS (by choice), I never locked up and crashed in the countless hairpins in the Alps in 27 years of riding there. As a past Flight Instructor, you better have judgement and the "feel". :D

-I had an accident and my 1250GS got totaled.

Why, what happened? Details?

First view has me thinking GS is losing its rugged mojo. Seeing more Honda NC700X styling aspects than evolving BMW design.

Attachments

• IMG_0680.jpeg
    IMG_0680.jpeg
    393.8 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_0681.jpeg
    IMG_0681.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Yeah, but nothing really worth talking about...unless you are looking for a new motorcycle which you were.

Why, what happened? Details?

I dropped a wheel off the edge of the tarmac on a mountain road. This led to a pretty nasty high side. My Alpinestars airbag saved me from serious injury. Damaged left hand and a totaled bike. Three months off the bike. Not that much damage to the GS, but any damage to the TFT and rear drive will quickly get the bike totaled. Progressive was very fair.

Back