• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Do you refuel while on or off the bike?

I replied way back...still depends which bike and what conditions. Two bikes we own have no centerstands, so that option is off the table.

We do stop typically at fuel stops to stretch and snack/hydrate. If the station is not crowded I may dismount , fuel and leave the bike under the canopy.
More often than not, we pass the nozzle between us and then move and park to be courteous to other folks waiting. It's not a time issue for us, just what works for us.

Is it unsafe? Is it safer getting off? Is riding a vehicle with fuel under your tail or in front of you safe? Are people who choose to do it different less safe than you?

Will I spill fuel, have I spilled fuel? If I am paying attention to job # 1 when refueling, most likely not...if I am doing anything other than paying attention, it could happen. Never use trigger locks...it is a few minutes and once again I am watching where my nozzle is pointed.:scratch
The one thing we do watch for is the juvenile trick of locking the nozzle before putting it in its holster...always check that it is off after having one come on in the holster....fool me once.

Hopefully, those who do spill will push the bike out away from pumps and go have a cup of coffee to figure out why that happened and let the fuel evaporate before cranking up.

It's all part of risk management and personal choices...part of riding your own ride. If either works for you, must be what works for you.

I dislike flying so much I will stick to motorcycles and make the call when I stop for fuel.

Or...hope Aerostitch markets these:jester
firesuit 2.jpg

I replied way back...still depends which bike and what conditions. Two bikes we own have no centerstands, so that option is off the table.

We do stop typically at fuel stops to stretch and snack/hydrate. If the station is not crowded I may dismount , fuel and leave the bike under the canopy.
More often than not, we pass the nozzle between us and then move and park to be courteous to other folks waiting. It's not a time issue for us, just what works for us.

Is it unsafe? Is it safer getting off? Is riding a vehicle with fuel under your tail or in front of you safe? Are people who choose to do it different less safe than you?

Will I spill fuel, have I spilled fuel? If I am paying attention to job # 1 when refueling, most likely not...if I am doing anything other than paying attention, it could happen. Never use trigger locks...it is a few minutes and once again I am watching where my nozzle is pointed.:scratch
The one thing we do watch for is the juvenile trick of locking the nozzle before putting it in its holster...always check that it is off after having one come on in the holster....fool me once.

Hopefully, those who do spill will push the bike out away from pumps and go have a cup of coffee to figure out why that happened and let the fuel evaporate before cranking up.

It's all part of risk management and personal choices...part of riding your own ride. If either works for you, must be what works for you.

I dislike flying so much I will stick to motorcycles and make the call when I stop for fuel.

Or...hope Aerostitch markets these:jester
View attachment 49038

Interesting and humorous reply. Any chance that suit comes in hi-viz yellow?!

What I have advocated to hundreds of students over the years is to develop a routine for re-fueling and try to stick to it.

1) Don't refuel first. It's a pain to take off helmet (non-modular) and gloves (if you've ever spilled gas on expensive mitts, you know why I included that) - then put all that stuff back on, just to move the bike 20 yds. and park. Make it a priority to first relax for a few minutes, making a pit stop, snack break , stretch, check cell phone, etc. Good time also to review maps or GPS if need be.

2) This also allows the bike to cool down as well, reducing the kindling temp for spilled gas or burning any of your riding gear thru incidental contact when leaning over to fuel.

3) Clean windshield, mirrors and face shield if needed.

4) Lastly, wait for the pump you want and then pull up to it. Swipe the credit/debit card and refuel off the bike. If you have a center stand, not critical you muscle the bike up on it. That difference in fuel you have not taken on-board is not a deal-breaker unless you're running 'vapors to vapors' (never advocated, since some fuel cools and lubricates modern fuel pumps - never run 'dry') in some Iron Butt Rally.

5) Remember to hit CLEAR or CANCEL after your pump transaction is complete - prevents techno-thieves from retrieving your card # later. Then, with helmet already on, simply glove up and hit the road - refreshed, renewed, refueled and nav-ready! :thumb

Last edited:
One of the reasons we fuel first is the sometimes sketchy places and people one crosses paths with. You cannot always gas up next to the Wyndham. There have been times when it's a gas and go, stop later situation.
The longer you experience situations, the quicker the flags go up...most with LEO and military backgrounds are well aware of this. I learned mine from working high voltage "barehanded' you cannot see, living/riding in SE Houston 30 years ago and traveling the US/Canada and a few dips into MX. Sketchy is sketchy.

We stopped to rainsuit up after a fill up a few years back and were swarmed with all sorts of requests and comments from a bunch of wild eyed men with nothing to lose. We aborted the mission and moved on. We do not even enter that city in the state to our east anymore. Not our first adventure in that city , but most likely our last.

Another time we got pinched between two truckloads of yahoos at a three pump island with what could be considered a direct threat I was not in the position to defend...that one stopped when a local LEO happened by( or was looking for these guys) and engaged truck 1. Timing:thumb I was running the scenario of me pulling the nozzle out and wetting them down.

We have stopped for a break, I need to pee first) then fuel afterwards...OK at times I suppose, but not a habit by any means.

I seem to be in a routine on the GSA, I had the yellow light come on as I entered town today. Pulled up to pump on right, kick sidestand down, unclip tankbag and swing to high side, swipe card, pull nozzle and check it is off (we have trigger locks), push fuel choice and WATCH...run pump pretty much full on for about 7 gallons, then ease up for the other couple. I stop when I see and hear it just under neck. Sometimes it clicks off, most times I stop before that.
I noticed I swing my leg away from tank on downhill side I guess because y'all have me worrying about one more thing...

People are out to kill me anytime I ride, my bike is going to explode,I am going to disentegrate going the posted 80-85 in the Western states and oh yeah, my unreliable BMW is going to strand me in no man's land....fun ride eh?:dunno

Interesting and humorous reply. Any chance that suit comes in hi-viz yellow?!

What I have advocated to hundreds of students over the years is to develop a routine for re-fueling and try to stick to it.

1) Don't refuel first. It's a pain to take off helmet (non-modular) and gloves (if you've ever spilled gas on expensive mitts, you know why I included that) - then put all that stuff back on, just to move the bike 20 yds. and park. Then it's time to relax for a few minutes, making a pit stop, snack break , stretch, check cell phone, etc. Good time also to review maps or GPS if need be.

2) This also allows the bike to cool down as well, reducing the kindling temp for spilled gas or burning any of your riding gear thru incidental contact when leaning over to fuel.

3) Clean windshield, mirrors and face shield if needed.

4) Lastly, wait for the pump you want and then pull up to it. Swipe the credit/debit card and refuel off the bike. If you have a center stand, not critical you muscle the bike up on it. That difference in fuel you have not taken on-board is not a deal-breaker unless you're running 'vapors to vapors' (never advocated, since some fuel cools and lubricates modern fuel pumps - never run 'dry') in some Iron Butt Rally.

5) Remember to hit CLEAR or CANCEL after your pump transaction is complete - prevents techno-thieves from retrieving your card # later. Then, with helmet already on, simply glove up and hit the road - refreshed, renewed, refueled and nav-ready! :thumb

One of the reasons we fuel first is the sometimes sketchy places and people one crosses paths with. You cannot always gas up next to the Wyndham. There have been times when it's a gas and go, stop later situation.
The longer you experience situations, the quicker the flags go up...most with LEO and military backgrounds are well aware of this. I learned mine from working high voltage "barehanded' you cannot see, living/riding in SE Houston 30 years ago and traveling the US/Canada and a few dips into MX. Sketchy is sketchy.

We stopped to rainsuit up after a fill up a few years back and were swarmed with all sorts of requests and comments from a bunch of wild eyed men with nothing to lose. We aborted the mission and moved on. We do not even enter that city in the state to our east anymore. Not our first adventure in that city , but most likely our last.

Another time we got pinched between two truckloads of yahoos at a three pump island with what could be considered a direct threat I was not in the position to defend...that one stopped when a local LEO happened by( or was looking for these guys) and engaged truck 1. Timing:thumb I was running the scenario of me pulling the nozzle out and wetting them down.

We have stopped for a break, I need to pee first) then fuel afterwards...OK at times I suppose, but not a habit by any means.

I seem to be in a routine on the GSA, I had the yellow light come on as I entered town today. Pulled up to pump on right, kick sidestand down, unclip tankbag and swing to high side, swipe card, pull nozzle and check it is off (we have trigger locks), push fuel choice and WATCH...run pump pretty much full on for about 7 gallons, then ease up for the other couple. I stop when I see and hear it just under neck. Sometimes it clicks off, most times I stop before that.
I noticed I swing my leg away from tank on downhill side I guess because y'all have me worrying about one more thing...

People are out to kill me anytime I ride, my bike is going to explode,I am going to disentegrate going the posted 80-85 in the Western states and oh yeah, my unreliable BMW is going to strand me in no man's land....fun ride eh?:dunno

A lot of good info in these here 2 posts :thumb
I think you guys are going to make it :)
OM

A lot of good info in these here 2 posts :thumb
I think you guys are going to make it :)
OM

I think the aspect of this thread that is capturing my attention the most is the video, and the fact that the refule receptacle is above a hot engine... 650's and the like an exception. Car engines are significantly displaced from the refule receptacle (usually) sooooo.... Not so much an issue. These forums make us aware of things we were not aware of. There in lies the purpose of participation and membership.

Just to add fuel to the fire:laugh

With the Happy Trails panniers, this method works for H on her Thumper she uses for commuting to work. She rests on sidestand and has been doing this when she is not riding with me for many fill ups. I just happened to go meet her for a ride home and did not need fuel...instead just snapping pics for future discussions:whistle
P1030445.JPG

The video is a statement for sure, but not knowing the full story doesn't sway my old habits. Now , if there were multiple videos of different bikes:scratch

Back