• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Do I Need A New Tent?

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
I pulled my two-man tent (REI Half Dome 2 HC) out to check, since I haven't had a chance in years, and I figure I will need it in about a month. The footprint and fly are sticky on the coated side. Googling this indicated the waterproof coating is breaking down, which is not unusual for a 15-20 year old tent. I'm not sure about being able to get a new rainfly for such an old tent, but I will reach out to REI. Perhaps the fly from the current model with work. Anyway, what do people think. If I can't get a replacement fly, should I get a new tent or is there another way to rehabilitate the fly?

I pulled my two-man tent (REI Half Dome 2 HC) out to check, since I haven't had a chance in years, and I figure I will need it in about a month. The footprint and fly are sticky on the coated side. Googling this indicated the waterproof coating is breaking down, which is not unusual for a 15-20 year old tent. I'm not sure about being able to get a new rainfly for such an old tent, but I will reach out to REI. Perhaps the fly from the current model with work. Anyway, what do people think. If I can't get a replacement fly, should I get a new tent or is there another way to rehabilitate the fly?

I was a season past replacing a tent and fly prior to the MOA Rally in Iowa. The seam tape was coming off in places and the stickiness also present. It leaked on the major end of tolerance on Saturday night as the bands wrapped up and skies opened. It went in a trash barrel Sunday morning and I had wet gear to deal with…kept poles and stakes :banghead
You might get by spraying it with water repellent but I won’t try that again as I knew the answer before I packed it!

Your question revives the old joke about what is the cheapest thing on a BMW motorcycle. REI is running a member sale now. Get a new tent. Yours is kaput.

Doug

The tent is in good condition with the exception of the PU coating on the footprint and rainfly. I'm not necessarily being cheap, just not wanting to replace something if it's in good shape. Just trying not to spend money if there's another option. In my online searching, I came across a product called Tent Sure, which supposably replaces the PU coating. https://www.nextadventure.net/catal... Aid Tent Sure Tent Sealant | $10.95#190=6837 However, I'd have to find a tent sized applicator. The bottle in the add is a bit small.

In my searching, I did notice that REI is having a sale.

Well, there’s always this option

But, I find a new tent every 6-10 years to be a good investment in dry and comfortable sleeping. Patching a rainfly with Gorilla tape while camping in the Yukon really cemented that idea.

Best,
DeVern

I would just replace it. Nothing worse than thinking you can stretch another year or two out of it and get soaked in a down pour because your tent failed you.

I would just replace it. Nothing worse than thinking you can stretch another year or two out of it and get soaked in a down pour because your tent failed you.

When you're soaking wet in the middle of the night, the purchase price for a new tent will seem cheap.

If anyone remembers the severe T-storm at the Gillette rally, where cheap and old tents were destroyed, than getting a new quality tent seems like a great option.. Nothing worse than waking up in the middle of the night being cold and wet... YMMV

I came across this definition of advice years ago at one of my first jobs,

Advice is what we ask for when we know the answer, but we want a different one.

So, I came for advice, but the answer is still

Get a new tent

Which I kind of knew, but was hoping it was not the case. Luckily, Memorial Day sales are ongoing at the moment.

Back