• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Diary of a Barn Queen

Nice find and excellent work to date. I'm stabbing in the dark myself on restoring a Puch so no advice from me but have done some of Germany's finest cars.

You've influenced me to look for an old warehouse to house the collection and have extra space to work on things. Hope you keep posting photos and best of luck to you!

:dunno What a mess! This is what scares me the most! All that rats nest has to come out, AND go back in :scratch
242097494-S.jpg

I'm still weighing pros and cons of painting vrs powdercoating the frame, and sandblasting vrs chemical stripping of the frame.

Just a little info

The following article can be viewed here: http://www.qsrweb.com/article.php?id=288
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dairy Queen?« debuts on "The Apprentice"
ÔÇó 22 Sep 2005

BURLINGTON, ON, Sept. 22 /CNW/ - For the first time ever, a company appearing on "The Apprentice," now in its fourth season, has created a national promotion to find a real-life apprentice. Dairy Queen, which will have a featured episode focusing on its signature Blizzard brand on "The Apprentice" Thursday, October 13, is taking that appearance to the next level by offering an apprenticeship that comes with a $50,000 cash signing bonus, an appearance in a national television commercial, trips to Hawaii and Los Angeles and a chance to help create new Blizzard flavours.

"We tapped into a creative way to leverage our appearance on "The Apprentice" with a really fun and exciting promotion that reaches out all across North America," said Michael Keller, chief brand officer for International Dairy Queen. "We're not the first to be on the show, but we are the first to tie in a promotion specifically built around the premise of the show. As a result, we are giving one lucky Blizzard customer out there the opportunity of a lifetime: to be our Blizzard apprentice."
Just like the television series, contestants for the Blizzard apprentice will vie for the title by completing a variety of tasks in the "Now Hiring! Become DQ's Blizzard Apprentice" contest which can be found online beginning September 26, at www.blizzardfanclub.com.

During round one, contestants must submit a 100-word essay describing their passion for the Blizzard and an accompanying photo of themselves interacting with the Blizzard brand. A panel of judges from Dairy Queen will choose 25 contestants to move on to the second task. The second task requires contestants to produce a two-to-three minute video message about the Blizzard in the form of a television commercial, speech, rap, song or other performance art. The top five "odes" to the Blizzard, chosen by Dairy Queen, will be posted to www.blizzardfanclub.com along with each finalist's original essay and photo. Blizzard Fan Club members, now totaling about 600,000, will then vote for their favourite. The contestant with the most votes will become the first-ever Blizzard apprentice. The winner will be notified by November 4.

In addition to the $50,000 "signing bonus" and a year's worth of free Blizzards, the winner and three guests will travel to Los Angeles where the Blizzard apprentice will appear in a Dairy Queen Blizzard commercial airing nationally next year. In January, they will be honoured at Dairy Queen's franchisee exposition in Hawaii. Finally, they will visit Dairy Queen headquarters in Minneapolis where the apprentice will participate in the development of new Blizzard flavours. All 25 semi-finalists will receive free Blizzards for a year and each of the web-posted finalists also will receive a $1,000 cash prize. The contest is open to all U.S. and Canadian residents, excluding Quebec, 18 years of age and older. All legal guidelines and restrictions apply. For a full list of contest rules, visit www.blizzardfanclub.com.

As part of the promotion, Dairy Queen also will be featured in one of four online games in "The Apprentice" arcade collection. The Dairy Queen game is unique from the other three in that it will be an online flash game and available for free. The rest of the games, all developed by Legacy Interactive, are downloadable for a fee. Access to the Dairy Queen game will be via www.blizzardfanclub.com and top gaming sites available on Yahoo and AOL.

Dairy Queen's appearance on "The Apprentice" and the subsequent Blizzard apprentice contest culminates a yearlong 20th birthday celebration of the Blizzard. One of the most imitated ice cream innovations since the ice cream cone, the Blizzard Flavour Treat was introduced in 1985. More than 175 million Blizzards were sold in that first year. Today, the Blizzard is one of the most successful and widely recognized treats and is well on its way to becoming a billion-dollar brand.

About IDQ:
International Dairy Queen (IDQ) (www.dairyqueen.com), which is headquartered in Minneapolis, Minn., develops, licenses and services a system of more than 5,600 Dairy Queen stores in the United States, Canada and other foreign countries, offering dairy desserts, hamburgers, hot dogs and beverages. IDQ is part of the Berkshire Hathaway family, a company owned by Warren Buffett, the legendary investor and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway. Following the successful roll out of DQ Grill & Chill?«, Dairy Queen's quick-service food concept that features an all new expanded menu and newly designed restaurant interiors, Dairy Queen began testing the TreatWorks(TM) concept in August 2005. TreatWorks blends a sleek, new look with the feel of a traditional ice cream treat shop and offers an expanded treat menu that includes traditional DQ favorites, the Orange Julius?« line of smoothies and fruit drinks, and new signature desserts and sundaes.

See you at one soon:usa

Ref:http://www.qsrweb.com/article_printable.php?id=288&page=57
with thanks to ?® 2008 NetWorld Alliance :usa
and The Canadian DQ Club and Kinsmen..

Michael Rich

Great fun -

These complex and head scratching restorations are the best way to keep our brains working over the winter months.... at least at my Northern latitudes.

What's the alternative... watching TV?

Keep me occupied and out from underfoot, and provides a valuable opportunity to BUY NEW TOOLS! :whistle

You can find great things in barns

Good luck with the old R75/5.I'm in the process of restoring A 1974 R90/6.It was in A barn for many years but is in very good condition.I've been riding it for 2 years and this winter it's getting new paint,handle bars,cables,new oil,and general mantenence.When you finish your project and step back and look at it,is'nt that just the greatist feeling?elyotsidecar#132866:dance

barn queen

Momentary highjack, but barn finds are fascinating. Three good books on the topic:

The Cobra in the Barn by Tom Cotter
The Hemi in the Barn by Tom Cotter
The Most Famous Car in the World by Philip Porter

Rinty

Last edited:
Time For An Update

I have been making slow progress. Someone suggested doing a little something every day. I've been somewhat doing that. The /5 is totally dis-assembled, and a lot of it is dispersed. The frames are getting sandblasted, the engine and transmission are with a competent BMW mechanic getting a going over, the fenders, tank, headlight, etc.. are with a good local body man who has painted some bike parts for me before. We discussed paints, and will not be using Glasurite, but will match the Currey color in base/clear, and will be painting the headlight, tail light, chrome sidecover stripes, all in currey. The frames will be powdercoated gloss black.
The mechanicals, well first reports are not too bad :
246200182-S.jpg

The timing chain has been loose and rubbing, so it will be replaced:
246200196-S.jpg

The top end will likely need some work, but I don't have a diagnosis yet. The tranny is going to take some fixing. I have a spare that can be used for some parts, so with a few new bearings and seals it should be fine.

The headlight wiring scares me more than anything:
242097494-S.jpg

I've got it all out. I plan to get a keyed ignition conversion from Stan Smith at Rocky Point Cycles. I'll prolly send the speedo-tach out to Palo Alto. I've seen the white face/black number face they can provide, and I'm thinking about that. Stainless spokes for the wheels probably.
Anyone keeping a running estimate? ;)

Who is your painter?

I read on the your post to the /5 group that you are thinking of Granada Red. I'm not sure where in VA you are, but here are pics of my bike done by a painter in Durham, NC. The pinstripes were done by a friend of his. I gave him the Glasurit code for Granada Red, and he says he was able to match it using his references. I was quite pleased with how it turned out.

Excellent job. Can you send me his contact info?

Attachments

• IMG_4923 small-R1.jpg
    IMG_4923 small-R1.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 558
1974 R75/6 project

I don't want to start a new thread so I thought that I would just stick this in here. I just finished about 4 casual hours this Sunday afternoon updating my "progress" with my 1974 R75/6 project since last August. It is kinda a barn queen, in drag I guess, so it is related to this topic.

R75/6 project

Remember that it is a blog so start at the bottom and work your way up. The latest newest stuff is at the top. I hope that this encourages me to get to work and get rolling on this. Right now I have to make dinner.

Progress report:

As of today my Barn Queen is scattered hither and nither. Just a few boxes and trays of parts in my barn. I cleaned out and Kremed the gas tank last week while at work:
250975924-S.jpg

I'm swishing the tank around with the Kreme acid wash and a bunch of ball bearings. Now the tank, fenders, headlight, ears, tail light are at the painters awaiting thier turn in the booth.
Yesterday I scored a nice "period correct" set of Wixom saddlebags:
250975931-S.jpg

250975927-S.jpg

The are in great shape. The silver paint with blue stripes look so good I briefly considered painting the bike silver. But then I stripped all the hardware off and tomorrow I'll drop them off at the painters, and stick with the Currey paint scheme.
Main frame is still waiting to be sandblasted, then its going to the powdercoater for gloss black coating.
I''m still trying to decide who to send the speedo unit to. I've heard a lot of bad about Palo Alto, but they offer a white face option that others don't offer.

Keep ur coming, I'm really enjoying this. I'm in the same process with my '74 R90. My bike is basically apart. I rebuilt the engine several years ago and have been accumulating parts ever since. I'm also using Wixom bags. I'm really enjoying your project, keep up the good work and thax for sharing. :type

I'm moving forward slowly. Here is my friend Dan as he sandblasts the frame at his place of work:
254165813_GQo5t-S.jpg

Once the frame was blasted clean, we noticed a couple of little tabs that had broke loose where the center stand comes up and apparently strikes them. Dan was able to tack weld them back into place.
254165863_GSDe8-S.jpg

Here are my frame parts, battery box, and Wixom saddle bag mounts fresh back from the powder coater. It all looks BEE Ute EE Full!!:dance
254165888_Fx2cV-S.jpg

254169822_aSKBv-S.jpg

I kinda feel like I'm at the bottom of a hill, and now its all a long uphill grade as I start the serious work of getting this bike back together. Just one step at a time. ..

I'm right behind you. I've got the CS' engine on the bench. Once I get all the electrical off the frame, the front end will come off and the frame, subframe and some other bits will go out for paint.

... The frames are getting sandblasted, the engine and transmission are with a competent BMW mechanic getting a going over....

I also have an R75/5 project bike. Fortunately mine was in pretty good shape when I obtained it. I haven't let that stop me from taking a lot of it apart. I've never fooled with a /5 and I'm enjoying the process of learing about this bike. I have done a /6 and /7 so it is interesting to look backward at the evolution of the airhead bikes.

For my engine components I obtained a soda blasting set-up. Soda is relatively inexpensive and is easily removed from the aluminum engine parts. Some of the airhead gurus relate horror stories of glass beads becomming embedded somewhere during a sandblasting operation and later getting free. The glass bead doesn't do the engine any good.

I obtained my soda blaster from these guys...
http://www.ace-sandblasting.com/soda-blasting.html
I got the small portable unit. The cylinders and head now look like new.

I'm moving forward slowly. Here is my friend Dan as he sandblasts the frame at his place of work:

Once the frame was blasted clean, we noticed a couple of little tabs that had broke loose where the center stand comes up and apparently strikes them. Dan was able to tack weld them back into place.

Here are my frame parts, battery box, and Wixom saddle bag mounts fresh back from the powder coater. It all looks BEE Ute EE Full!!:dance

I kinda feel like I'm at the bottom of a hill, and now its all a long uphill grade as I start the serious work of getting this bike back together. Just one step at a time. ..

Bottom of the hill? Looks more like you have done all the hard climbing. The hardest part is behind. Now for the enjoyable part.

Well Progress has been slow, but there has been progress. Parts are starting to filter back into my Beemer Barn, other parts and supplies have been ordered. New bearings are going in the steering head, and swing arm. Paint is being sprayed. I hope a tranny and engine are getting some attention as well. Its been rather chilly here so I heated up the barn the other night and pulled out the forks and carburators. It wasn't pretty. On my one short ride I noticed the forks were really stiff. :scratch Maybe this is why:
268304867_Su3KX-S.jpg

Grungy mess in the bottoms. Here is the nut off the fork bottom:
268304879_BNDjJ-S.jpg

Then the carbs.
268304892_N6Lwe-S.jpg

Taking them apart was going well, till I got to the idle jet in one. The screw driver slot had been broken off! :scratch The black arrow points to that jet:
268304911_otynQ-S.jpg

Not sure what I'll do, but I'll figure out something.
So today things got better. This afternoon I went out for a ride with a buddy. We rode down to the paint shop where my Barn Queen's body parts have been waiting for paint. I peeked in and see this:
268661077_FKaT8-S.jpg

:dance :thumb :thumb Things look BEE-U-Tee-Full!
268661088_KKYp4-S.jpg

The Toaster Tank:
268661118_8mvpj-S.jpg

Chrome battery panels:
268661103_dNuci-S.jpg

The color is supposed to be a copy of the original Currey. I don't know if it is an eggzak match, but it does look good. Originally the pin stripe were black. I'd like to go with something different, but don't know what. Any suggestions? My riding buddy today suggests Dijon Mustard and white together. A two color pin stripe. I was thinking maybe a brighter gold, though the paint looks rather golden.
Thats the latest. I should be getting back up with the frame and swing arm. A friend is helping me put new bearings in the steering head, and swing arm, and spokes in the wheels. Meanwhile I'll be working on those carbs and forks. :scratch :dance

I love the paint, it is georgeous. The pin stripe... I like black because it will match and accent the frame. I also like silver because it will the engine/aluminum parts. Or of course white, being traditional. Decision, decisions...

Perfectly painted parts floating in mid air...

Almost like a very nice dream!:laugh

I am not a pinstripe guy, so I am no help. I know BMW's are supposed to have pinstripes, but I love the way they look without them.

Thanks for sharing your progress. Can't wait to see the rest of the project.

Back