• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Defective new Corbin seat on my K75

K75solo

I don't want to turn this into a ranting complaint, but I ordered a Dual Canyon Sport seat for my K75 from Corbin and am returning it tomorrow. Very poor fit and it has other aesthetic problems. Seems like the pan is too short and a 1-1.5" gap along the rear of the tail. At the MOA rally, I noted how nice Corbin seats fit on the R1200 models; perhaps my bike is too old for much consideration. I wrote emails with photos and have spoken to three people. I guess the most disappointing aspect of my tale is how no one will call or initiate communication with me. When I call, no one knows anything or can answer any questions, rather they simple tell me that they will forward my email to someone else. I called again today (been 6 days since I initially contacted them) and they told me to box it up and FedEx will pick it up between the hours of 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM. I'll include a few pictures and ask you guys if the seat is perhaps for a K100 or some sub-variant. My 1995 is a standard model. Note the poor fit and the wrinkles and the asymmetrical band of vinyl in the front of the seat. For $487 and $45 for shipping, I expected better. Perhaps I should look for a used original seat and get that reupholstered?

Attachments

• inchgap.jpg
    inchgap.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 113
  • rightprofile.jpg
    rightprofile.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 113
  • qualitycontrol1.jpg
    qualitycontrol1.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 113
Pippen,

Is ALL the mounting hardware that is bolted to the seat and the rear seat bow (rear hinge) the original from when your bike was originally built? Did you do a low seat to standard conversion?

:dance:dance:dance

Pippen,

Is ALL the mounting hardware that is bolted to the seat and the rear seat bow (rear hinge) the original from when your bike was originally built? Did you do a low seat to standard conversion?

No conversion. The hinges appear to be original to the machine, though it had a Russell seat on it. Image of the pan:

Attachments

• underseat2.jpg
    underseat2.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 109
From your picture, your bike WAS originally a low seat model. You can tell by the lack of a tool tray above the ECU and the helmet holder straps mounted to the frame plus the telltale marks on the frame just to the rear of the fuel tank.

I would suspect that the right rear hinge that is bolted to the seat is incorrect. Probably someone used a
K1100 hinge. It is taller and would make the seat sit high in the rear.

All my Corbins fit fine.

Take closer more detailed photos of the two hinges that are bolted to the seat and I will check them against the 7 K75s that I have.

From your picture, your bike WAS originally a low seat model. You can tell by the lack of a tool tray above the ECU and the helmet holder straps mounted to the frame plus the telltale marks on the frame just to the rear of the fuel tank.

Take closer more detailed photos of the two hinges that are bolted to the seat and I will check them against the 7 K75s that I have.

Some more detail:

Attachments

• undersidecorbin.jpg
    undersidecorbin.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 98
  • rearhinge.jpg
    rearhinge.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 97
  • leftframe2.jpg
    leftframe2.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 96
Pippen,

Just blew up your photo on my other computer. Those ARE K1100 hinges. That is why your seat does not fit. You need BOTH front and rear hinge pieces that bolt to the seat.

I'll check if I have any spares this evening or tomorrow.

K75s do not have that "honeycomb like" spacer in the hinge, K1100s do. That is why your seat sits too high at the rear (and probably along the right side).

K75s do not have that "honeycomb like" spacer in the hinge, K1100s do. That is why your seat sits too high at the rear (and probably along the right side).

You should work for Corbin as you've been far more informative and helpful!

I just KNOW K75s.

P1010646.jpg

You can't expect a vendor that deals with thousands of different makes and models to anticipate that someone installed hinges from a completely different model. That seat pan comes out of a mold that they have been using successfully for over 30 years. They know it wasn't their fault on the fit. :dunno

This is the fringe benefit you get from belonging to the MOA.

I just KNOW K75s.

You can't expect a vendor that deals with thousands of different makes and models to anticipate that someone installed hinges from a completely different model. That seat pan comes out of a mold that they have been using successfully for over 30 years. They know it wasn't their fault on the fit. :dunno

That is true and I am willing to absolve them of the fit issues, categorically. However, the other issues I have with the seat and the lack of contacting me when they said they would is less than impressive, to be honest. Thank you for your help.

Interesting detective work kids!

I will say though, that over my 15 years of riding M/Cs - I have seen more than a few complaints about Corbin's customer service. I've never owned one of their seats - but they look pretty nice from what I can see.

Good Luck. :)

Back