• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Day Trip-The Durr Road

B

BACKROAD.ADV

The Durr Road is an old toll road built in the late 1800s that connected Ellensburg and Yakima. Supplies back in those days came up from The Dalles in Oregon and supplies places like Fort Simco, Yakima, etc.

I had read about this road when I was at the library. Anyway today I decided to check it out. This road crosses the Manastash and Umptanum Ridges west of the Yakima River Canyon. The bike I used on this trip was my old faithful TW200 which I prefer to use when exploring new routes for the first time solo (because the bike is light and easy to muscle around).

Anyway here are some pictures from today's ride.

A view of Mt Stewart from the Kittitas Valley
981491698_QiFmG-L-1.jpg

Nice farm house just about 3 miles before getting on Durr Road. A little mirror action though its hard to see Mt Stewart is behind the mail box.
981492487_hi2xc-L-1.jpg

First homestead on Durr Road.
981493957_CwQio-L-1.jpg

Mt Rainier from Durr Road on Manastash Ridge.
981497345_zrhdw-L-1.jpg

Durr Road looking north to Mission Ridge.
981498247_qBpDf-L-1.jpg

Umptanum Creek a small creek crossing and rest stop.
981501809_MEZLq-L-1.jpg

Start of the climb up Umptanum Ridge.
981501098_vvzDK-L-1.jpg

AND the road goes up and up!
981504321_dyekY-L-1.jpg

Summiting Umptanum Ridge. The little TW200 does it again!
981506679_jSPij-L-1.jpg

A view into Selah Valley and Mt Adams in the distance.
981510201_4fNHK-L-1.jpg

The ride home was via SR 821 the Yakima River Canyon Road.
981511876_Wm39G-L-1.jpg

Backroad ADV

I liked it! What is in Yakima Canyon and where does it go to or from? Thanks for sharing.

I liked it! What is in Yakima Canyon and where does it go to or from? Thanks for sharing.

The Yakima Canyon Road is Washington State Route 821 and is a north/south road between Ellensburg and Selah.

I can easily be found by finding Interstate I 82 and SR 821 lies just west of the interstate.

The canyon was carved by the Yakima River and is a popular recreation site for fishermen, river rafters, wildlife viewing, para-gliding, (and at one time popular with hang gliders), etc.

Backroad ADV

Last edited:
Back