• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Das Rally Route

hwood

Any riders from Southeastern Wisconsin headed out to the Rally - I know there are a few of you in Fort Atkinson. Curious what route your taking. We are looking at the ferry out of Milwaukee then across MI unless we locate something more scenic.

-First Timer from Whitewater

Leave 2 rivers, around the U.P. follow the lake down, cross in to Canada, follow lake, back into the states, on to rally site, wife and I have been keeping distances down (around 250 miles a day) so we have plenty of time to explore anything we may find along the way, we try to avoid the interstate system if possible. just a more enjoyable ride, we have plenty of time so we use it to our advantage. :thumb

I used to live in Chicago and the Rockford, IL area. Rode through Wisconsin and Michigan a lot. Also lived in Michigan and Ohio many years.

Like the previous response, I suggest going north. Either take the ferry across Lake Michigan or simply drive north into the UP.

Drive into Canada (if you have passports) and go around the top of Lake Huron.

To get back into the USA, I recommend avoiding the Toronto area...traffic like all major cities.

If you decide to go south, northern Ohio is best crossed on the interstate. If you prefer not to do that, drop south to an old Federal Highway to get away from the northern cities. Construction in the Toledo area is a mess, but I-80 is passable...and under some construction.

If your looking for scenic I'd take the Badger out of Manitowoc to Ludington. From there north across the bridge and on to Canada or as George said simply drive up into the UP. Anything south from the ferries is not going to be as scenic as north. You could take US 10 across the state and cross into Canada at Sarnia. As far as the Ohio turnpike, if you go that way it's easier if you have an I-pass. I think you can get one at the rest areas along the way as I believe it's to late to get one mailed but they are a time saver and cheaper than having to stop at each toll booth.

Back