• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Damaged motor

john1691

I am rebuilding a wrecked K1200RS that a number of MOA members have donated to for a guy doing volunteer work in New Orleans, LA to help with Katrina relief. See the clubhouse thread "Would you help provide a free BMW". He was looking to get a newer bike, but moved his family (wife and 4 kids) down for a full year, so his savings was soon used on supporting the family. Anyway, the bike we got has a broken valve cover, and now that I am inside, a broken inlet cam, timing chain, timing gear and misc. bent rails, studs, etc. What is the best resource for getting the timing corrected once the new parts are installed? I realize we may have some internal damage as well, so I will need to check out the pistons and valves, but will cross that bridge in due time. I am a HVAC mechanic and remodeling contractor, so while I did wrench small engines and a Camaro in HS, my background is not as a cycle mechanic. Any help will be appreciated!

Last edited:
Broken cam? You might be looking at replacing the cylinder head if the line-bored bearing blocks got tweaked. You're simply going to have to check everything out before reassembly. Everything. The BMW repair manual has all of the information in it but if you're not comfortable with that you should send the project to someone else. I've seen this sort of job (on K and Oilhead bikes) get messed up many times, resulting in bent valves on the newly-reassembled motor.

If you want to dig in, start by removing and stripping the cylinder head. Check all valves for bending, and inspect the bearing blocks closely.

Damage

John I have sent a Helpline to Dave The Pooba
Could you take a few photo's of the damaged area.
list all the parts that need replacement. Im anm shure we Brothers could get into how to proceed.
Mike rich

and if you neeed help Email me and I will do my best to get it together :wave

Aug. editing Thanks Kb
Thanks still if I was there to see the engine .still need extencive pictures of this
hope this doesn't end witha failure to get it together*:cry :bottle

Last edited:
Probably best to find a good used engine at one of the BMW used bike parts dismantalers. This job requires expert engine builders, who know what their doing. The cost of all those pieces will be cost prohibitive. Good luck with your project.

Ya this thing could get ugly, but Im in for the count to help as this is for a good cause. Thanks Dave for the quick responce..:beer
Mike Rich
retired Mechanic

I am rebuilding a wrecked K1200RS that a number of MOA members have donated to for a guy doing volunteer work in New Orleans, LA to help with Katrina relief. See the clubhouse thread "Would you help provide a free BMW". He was looking to get a newer bike, but moved his family (wife and 4 kids) down for a full year, so his savings was soon used on supporting the family. Anyway, the bike we got has a broken valve cover, and now that I am inside, a broken inlet cam, timing chain, timing gear and misc. bent rails, studs, etc. What is the best resource for getting the timing corrected once the new parts are installed? I realize we may have some internal damage as well, so I will need to check out the pistons and valves, but will cross that bridge in due time. I am a HVAC mechanic and remodeling contractor, so while I did wrench small engines and a Camaro in HS, my background is not as a cycle mechanic. Any help will be appreciated!

The best I can do is give you a phone number for parts if they are needed...

614-837-1160 This is a BMW salvage place outside of Columbus OH they do parts at half new and may be willing to work with you if you explain your task.

Ya this thing could get ugly, but Im in for the count to help as this is for a good cause. Thanks Dave for the quick responce..:beer
Mike Rich
retired Mechanic

Burnszilla had a similar situation with his old K75 and wound up buying a used motor. That might be the best bet here, I think.

Burnszilla had a similar situation with his old K75 and wound up buying a used motor. That might be the best bet here, I think.

But he also paid a professional mechanic to fly in, work on his bike, and eat burritos. :dance

Mike Rich
retired Mechanic

Thanks, Mike for the offer of support. I'm going to try and work through it with this motor. While I'm not a cycle mechanic, I am "mechanically inclined" and the design of the K motor isn't all that complex. Doug doesn't return until August, but in order to get the title work done, I should be done by the end of May or early June. So it isn't like I am in a hurry to be done by this riding season.

Not sure what all the food commentary was about, but if any of you guys are in to help give the bike away to Doug in late August, I'll buy you lunch!

No food needed just bmw parts

So list what you need maybe some of the brothers have spares to offer . Could you post the engine pics and parts thaat are needed.:wave :thumb

I have a cylinder head with cams and timing chain and some other parts. The head has 35k miles on it roughly. One spark plug hole needs helicoiled, but otherwise I think everything would be fine as is. It is free if it would help you out. I can send a couple of pictures if you would like.

Tim
timothy-curl@uiowa.edu
319-533-8215

Tell John

That is excelent, way to go email John, that is so cool:heart

free head

Tim did get in touch with me, and he has offered to send the head, didn't even want me to cover shipping, so this has been a great boost for the project. Of course there is a crude joke in there somewhere about the offer of (a) free head, but I'm not crude so I won't bring it up. :laugh I mentioned on the other thread "Would you help provide a free BMW" that I need one of my kids to remind me how to get the pictures posted, but will try and get that done this weekend to post the condition of what we have at this point. Thanks for the good comments/advise so far, I appreciate the help.

Great Expectations

:type It is far from the mess of the world that the gready and the money chasers, that we in this forum have in our midds an unselfish person,and brothers who would contribute to this project , to this "I say Hassar to you all", and raise a glass to my brothers:drink and say we have killed the unselfishness of others and instilled the generousity of life.
Lets see this project to it's competion..

:thumb .

Michael Rich
Up the Revolution
"Give Back Maine":usa:clap :clap

Back