• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cover confusion r75/5 or r75/6?

googledave

Completely confused here. I own a 1971 r50/5 with an 74 r75/6 motor that the previous owner swapped in.. it's a four speed. I also own an original 72 r75/5 that I'm restoring.... well I've riding the r50 quite a lot and the tranny started to leak from cover. Actually from the kickstart shaft. The previous owner only used the kickstart since he wired the starter incorrectly and couldn't get it to work. I since have resided and only use the starter. I've read a ton of post that scared the poop out of me that basically the kickstart shaft would fall into the tranny at any given moment. So I decided to go ahead and take out the tranny and take the cover off to rapair it. I took tranny off and cleaned all off to notice that the shaft protrudes from the cover about 5mm and has a groove into it which hold a circling..... no bolt with washer like I've seen some owners do.. the /5 I'm restoring has nothing and the shaft is actually flush with the outer cover... any ideas what this is? Thanks!!

Shafts

Your post is totally confusing! You mention a "kickstart shaft" which, technically, should be the shaft that the kickstart lever is attached to. Are you sure that you don't mean the idler gear shaft that holds an idler gear in constant mesh with a gear on the input shaft?
If you're talking about the idler gear shaft, then that is the one that is pressed into the transmission cover from the inside. The gear is on the inside and held onto the shaft by a circlip.
If it is a four speed then it is from a /5. The /6 transmission has five speeds.
Can you clarify all this?

Back