• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Corkscrewed centre stand tabs

TonysR100

Mongrel Owner
I'm back in the Airhead fold again, having re-purchased my 1977 R100RS.
When I had it a couple of years back, the centre stand was very wobbly. Now it is completely roached.
The frame tabs are twisted corkscrew fashion. Imagine someone clamping the stand to the floor and then twisting the bike around its vertical axis and you can envision what I mean.
Can these tabs be straightened "cold" by someone who knows what they're doing (not me!) with the motor in place or do they need to be heated, requiring a stripdown to the bare frame?
Also, will any stand from a twinshock airhead such as an RT or naked model fit?
Thanks for any advice.
Cheers,
Tony

center stand

Hi
First off I do not have an answer for you, sorry.
I bought an 81 RS in 91 and the first day I had it I put a ride off stand on it, very stable and works great.
Also I am thinking of selling my RS but know that I will regret it, so I am not pushing to hard to move it. If you dont mind tell me why you sold it and why you bought it back. I'd like to know.
Oh yea, good luck with the center stand
Brian

Can these tabs be straightened "cold" by someone who knows what they're doing (not me!) with the motor in place or do they need to be heated, requiring a stripdown to the bare frame?

I have done it cold with out damaging anything on my RS.

Also, will any stand from a twinshock airhead such as an RT or naked model fit?

I think that the frame changed slightly about 1981(?). After that the stand is slightly shorter and mounts using the notorious flat-head bolt and nut instead of being bolted to the frame. Be glad that you have a 1977.

Hi, Brian.
I owned it for a couple of years because I wanted a Beemer. Enjoyed it but decided I wanted something more like a GS or roadster and sold it to one of my brothers-in-law.
Of course, as soon as he rode off I regretted what I'd done and missed what is a real classic, even if it's a mongrel. Anyway, we agreed I'd have first dibs should he decide to sell, which he did when an Alfa Spyder hove into view. So I got her back and now he has first dibs on her, not that I'm likely to repeat my mistake!
Cheers,
Tony

Kstoo, how did you bend them back? Monster vise-grips?
Cheers,
Tony

Don't make me say it, it's not proud.
Oh, well. I took a rather large crescent wrench (about 14" length, I think) and got that securely on the "tab" and then extended the handle with a meter long pipe. I sat down on the floor and just very slowly applied force to move slightly, check and move again if necessary.
When you're done with this make sure that you find and fix the reason for the stand tabs tweaking. The centerstand has to be unbent as well, stand holes need to be not out of round, there should be minimal play in the bushings, just for starters... somebody else throw some ideas in here cause I'm not the expert

Before I powdercoated the frame of my R100CS last summer, I had the centerstand altered. I now get a more complete engagement of the centerstand against the stops.

If you look, you can see where the centerstand has started to mangle the mounts. I welded it up, ground it so it fits nicely and now have a very stout centerstand.

295219028_MykZy-M.jpg

Great photo! I wish that I had this picture when I was trying to explain to the welder what I wanted him to do.

Thanks

Thanks, guys.
Pretty much the process I envisioned, don't know if I'll tackle it myself, though.
The centre stand is toast, lowering arm broken out, pivot holes way out of round, tweaked as well, so I'll be looking for a replacement.
Cheers,
Tony

Just did this Rebuild on my 1983 R100RS before Powdercoating the frame also.
I heated the tabs and still took a large wrench to straighten them.
My centerstand was a mess, the holes were broken open and no longer round, and the stand was also twisted.
I cut the ends off the stand and welded on solid bar stock and then cut the connection tabs so I have much better contact with the frame tabs. It looks like it will be stronger than stock, and on the 81-84 stands they tend to go to far over center, I may have to adjust mine when it goes back on the frame, there is still some thing to do first.

PC080050.jpg

Cant seem to link the picture the

Back