• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Corbin Seat Advice/Experience?

milo

Corbin Seat Advice/Experience? *Update* Sargent Ordered

Greetings!
I'm new to the F-twins forum here. I recently bought an 09 F650GS and could use some advice from anyone who has, or has sat on, a Corbin seat on a F800/650GS? I find my standard height, stock seat too crowned and it has some forward slope to it. Also I wouldn't want a seat any lower than this one. My experience with Corbin's on other bikes, like my R1200GS, is *sometimes* they have some forward slope also. Many compensate by positioning it in the high position front, and low rear.
My question is; "if you were ordering a Corbin seat and could have them tweak it, what change in shape (if any) would you ask them to make"?
FWIW I've tried BMW's Comfort seat which is pretty nice. What I don't like about it is it's lower, and the foam seemed pretty soft. TIA

Last edited:
Greetings!
I'm new to the F-twins forum here. I recently bought an 09 F650GS and could use some advice from anyone who has, or has sat on, a Corbin seat on a F800/650GS? I find my standard height, stock seat too crowned and it has some forward slope to it. Also I wouldn't want a seat any lower than this one. My experience with Corbin's on other bikes, like my R1200GS, is *sometimes* they have some forward slope also. Many compensate by positioning it in the high position front, and low rear.
My question is; "if you were ordering a Corbin seat and could have them tweak it, what change in shape (if any) would you ask them to make"?
FWIW I've tried BMW's Comfort seat which is pretty nice. What I don't like about it is it's lower, and the foam seemed pretty soft. TIA

I have an 09 F650GS also. I have a BMW Comfort Seat and love it. I have ridden 500-600 mile days and it is still comfortable. I am 250#. It is not that much lower than the standard seat. I also have the BMWC/S on my 08 R1200RT.

Unless you are dead set on Corbin I would give the BMWC/S a second look.

Jack

Jack

Annie has a Corbin on her 2011 F650GS. It does reduce the "forward trough" effect of the stock seat substantially. She does not have very many miles on the bike so long term comfort is an unknown. The seat is significantly wider than the stock seat, particularly at the front. I think this will add to the comfort while seated, but it does have the net effect of making the seat seem taller because your legs must accommodate the increased width.

Thanks for the replies! The Comfort seat I tried seemed a little too low and soft, but it is a good shape and an improovement over the stocker IMO. I'd really prefer no lower but I guess both the BMW Comfort and Corbin "level" the seat area by lowering the rear of the bucket, rather than raising the front. They're both about the same price.

i would not purchase a Corbin. Have used them in years past, but that was when they were the only viable aftermarket seat source (ignoring the mega-wide, tractor-seat Russels & such). was reasonably happy with them, but have since gone over to Rick Mayer for al my saddle work. Better quality, lifetime warranty and adjustments, built to fit ME, less cost. And, Rick rides beemers, so i'm supporting "one of our own."

Decision made. I just ordered a Sargent Enduro seat. It has a 13" wide seating area which appears fairly level and flat. Fingers crossed.

SargentG650GSEnduro.jpg

Comfort Seat?

I have an 09 F650GS also. I have a BMW Comfort Seat and love it. I have ridden 500-600 mile days and it is still comfortable. I am 250#. It is not that much lower than the standard seat. I also have the BMWC/S on my 08 R1200RT.

Unless you are dead set on Corbin I would give the BMWC/S a second look.

Jack

Jack

Which brings to my mind the question -
If BMW markets a replacement seat as the BMW Comfort Seat does this mean that they know the stock seat is not a comfortable seat? And if so, why would they build that?

Hmmmm.

Mike

i would not purchase a Corbin. Have used them in years past, but that was when they were the only viable aftermarket seat source (ignoring the mega-wide, tractor-seat Russels & such). was reasonably happy with them, but have since gone over to Rick Mayer for al my saddle work. Better quality, lifetime warranty and adjustments, built to fit ME, less cost. And, Rick rides beemers, so i'm supporting "one of our own."

I agree and have had great results from Rick Mayer. I ordered a custom seat for my 00 R1100r and my 99 F650. Both seats were of the best quality and so comfortable. He knows what he's doing when it comes to seats and his prices are fair. He even has sales from time to time. I had mine done in the winter and got both with special pricing. Check his website often for specials. www.rickmayercycles.com
:)

Which brings to my mind the question -
If BMW markets a replacement seat as the BMW Comfort Seat does this mean that they know the stock seat is not a comfortable seat? And if so, why would they build that?

Hmmmm.

Mike

I try not to think about that:hungover Only thing I know for sure is out of all the seats I have ridden on (and I have ridden a lot in the past 59 years on many makes and seat combo's) the BMW Comfort Seat is hands down the winner.

The Sargent Enduro seat is flat, narrow and almost no padding. Not a good seat unless you are truley offroading. I am not talking dirt roads but truley enduro make your own roads riding. This would reguire a narrow seat and substansial time on the pegs. I raced enduro for Kawasaki for twelve years in my younger days. Route to be taken is marked with flags and you make your own road with checkpoints along the way.

What I am trying to say is I hope you know what you are doing when ordering an enduro seat with little or no padding and very narrow width. This seat will not be comfortable for any distance or time. I have two sitting in my garage used only for short offroad rides.

Jack

The Sargent Enduro seat is flat, narrow and almost no padding. Not a good seat unless you are truley offroading. ...

What I am trying to say is I hope you know what you are doing when ordering an enduro seat with little or no padding and very narrow width. This seat will not be comfortable for any distance or time. I have two sitting in my garage used only for short offroad rides.

Jack

Well this was depressing to read, just after I ordered a Sargent Enduro seat. I was hoping it'd be somewhat like the Corbin on my KLR650 which I really liked.

DSCN1125.jpg

I did not mean to offend only be honest with you. Sargent I beleive has a return policy or at least an exchage for a more comfortable seat (cruising). I would be interested to know how the seat works out for you. Nothing ruins the thrill more than an uncomfortable seat.

Jack

Well this was depressing to read, just after I ordered a Sargent Enduro seat. I was hoping it'd be somewhat like the Corbin on my KLR650 which I really liked.

DSCN1125.jpg

ya know, if you are really concerned about the possible (dis)comfort of the Sargent, i am sure you can cancel that order- you only placed it 2 days ago. and its not like its a true "custom made just for your butt" saddle like a Rick Mayer would be.

I hope you find the Sargent Enduro to your liking. I'd really like to get your impressions of it once you've tried it.

I have the original Sargent seat on my F800GS and its a huge improvement over the stock seat. The Sargent is very nice and like it a lot except that I would like to not have the stepped rear section so I could slide back easier on the seat when off road. The width is fine for standing, and the seat is wider and not domed like the stock one. Of course the Enduro wasn't available when I got mine, and I hesitate to swap for one without knowing how it stacks up against the standard Sargent.

My Rick Mayer. Quite comfy, and still able to move & stand, as Rick cuts his saddles narrow at the nose. Also makes the reach to the ground easier, as your legs don't have to go "out" as far.
IMG_0957.jpg

I did not mean to offend only be honest with you. Sargent I beleive has a return policy or at least an exchage for a more comfortable seat (cruising). I would be interested to know how the seat works out for you. Nothing ruins the thrill more than an uncomfortable seat.
Jack

LOL, no offense taken at all Jack. Opinions on seats are very different and I am probably different than most in that, compared to stock, I usually prefer a seat wider, not crowned, and more level front to back seat. Others prefer a more bucket type seat. My experience with bucket seats are they're great when they really fit you just right. But you're always restricted to sitting in that same position.
FWIW I'll post my opinionated, first impression review :D on this seat in a week or so. Fingers crossed.

ya know, if you are really concerned about the possible (dis)comfort of the Sargent, i am sure you can cancel that order- you only placed it 2 days ago. and its not like its a true "custom made just for your butt" saddle like a Rick Mayer would be.

Actually not an option as it was shipped this morning. Butt I'm cautiously optimistic it's gonna work ok for me. I'll report back either way. BTW I had Rick do a seat for my R1150GS some years back and to be honest wasn't all that impressed. I ended up trading it to Rich's Custom Saddles at the rally in Spokane for one of theirs. Of all the different custom seats I've had (Corbin, Lee's, Rick Meyer, Sargent, two from Rich's) Rich's http://www.richscustomseats.com/about.asp did the best job. For this application I just wanted a "stock" aftermarket seat that I hope will be an improvement. If it's not I can always sell it. (unlike a seat customized on my own pan)

Truely hoping it works out for you. Give it a try and if it is not to your liking try a return or at least an exchange. Last time I talked with Sargent they sounded cooperative.

Jack

Just went ahead and ordered the Sargent Enduro. They warned me that the passenger portion has very thin foam before I ordered it, but since I never carry a passenger (don't even have the passenger pegs on the bike :p) that was not a concern for me. The extra 1/2" of height is not a big isue either as I'm gifted with a lengthy 34" inseam. I'll compare the Enduro to the Touring seat and see which one I decide to keep.

I have a heated corbin on my 2009 F650GS and like it a lot. I did have to send it back the first time because when I ordered it through Cycle Gear they did not ask me about accessories.. (my SWMotech luggage racks and I didn't think to volunteer the info) and the seat would not fit with them installed. Took some photos and sent the seat back and they fixed it.

The pegs that catch in the back to hold the seat on were a little shorter than the ones on the stock seat and you could force the seat off with a hard tug on the back. I added a couple washers under the screw that holds the pegs on and it is now fine.

Is is heavier than the stock seat and you loose the storage slot of the stock seat as well.

100x more comfortable than the stock seat. It is a little wider at the front so it feels different when you have your feet down at a stop. Might be an issue with a shorter rider (I am about 5'11" with 30 inch inseam).

Overall I would buy it again and like all the different material/colors available from Corbin. The back slopes forward of course so if you have a passenger often choose a material that is not slippery. Mine is a little slick and my wife has to push herself back once in a while. (or maybe she just likes me)

Back