• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Concept 101 - by Roland Sands

Why you're not published in the ON, or even linked from our home page, is beyond me. :dunno

All you need is a spell check... :ha

ON - You have to submit to be published. I have not lately.

I was just starting to figure things out for a regular column in on when the economy, our family business and my daughter crashed. After a year my daughter recovered, the business did not, and the economic recovery depends on where you are on the curve.

The BR&TMR thread is just my ongoing research/interests published on the forum. My 'articles' in the thread are second drafts of thoughts I want to expunge from my mind. My understanding is, even with a re-work and or expansion, once you publish on the forum it will not be used for ON.

Home Page Link - BR&TMR was linked to the home page at one time. The link was dropped several upgrades and an editor ago. Grammar and spelling problems in the post no doubt offend some. They may have called for the drop. Security may be one reason. In the digital age my size fourteens may have stepped on more than a few pedal digits along the way.
:dunno

Spell Check - :blush - Heck I need an editor - :rofl

Computers are great for writing; however, spell check supplies you with a list of words to select the wrong one from, while find and replace allows you to make the same mistake at the speed of light.

I must get on top of that once again. I turn it off for drafts; then forget to turn it back on for public positing. This can go on for weeks until my family stops laughing at it and reminds me to turn it back on.

"Phonetical doesn't even start with an F. Stuff like this is why aliens fly right past us."
From Gramaly.com

I just discovered what the heck BR&TMR is after 20 minutes of research thru google and the search Forum function.

Finally had idea to look at the profile to see what threads have been contributed to by MIKA.

Found it in Campfire as Bench Racing and The Morning Read for others who have no idea.

All I can say is Wow after seeing it.

Regarding the Concept 101 bike per the Original Post- I like it! But I also like the new Victory bikes.

Thank you for taking the time to find it and the kind words.

In response to Bud's 1200C observation:

I do not have my sales notes handy to see where the 1200C ranked in any year. The key number to consider may be the year 1999, rather than any sales figure.

In the 80s through much of the 90s BMW, led by the auto segment, went on an expansion binge. Led by the 3 series, production was expanded as was the product line the company owned. In Britain alone it acquired the rights and control of over 200 active and inactive brands. It had a protracted fight with VW over the Bentley / Rolls Royce Motorcar brands. By the end of the 90s the company sold off Rover along with some other active brands, retained MINI and the inactive brand names for future use or sale, and went back to Munich to figure out what was next.

In 2001, under new management board leadership, every BMW segment went under review. BMW Motorrad was the first segment to complete and survive the process. Others would be spun off or reorganized and retained. The process took six years for the entire company to complete.

On the Motorrad side, the 90s saw a couple of major changes.

Importer / dealer strategy changed. BMW had worked mainly with private companies that would hold the right to import and distribute. In turn those importers developed their own independent strategies to award dealerships within their distribution areas. In the 90s this strategy began to go away and the MotherShip began to take direct control of the importing / dealer process.

Motorrad production was ramped up to feed the expansionist growth strategy. In the 90s it went from a niche brand cranking out 30k + units per year world wide to over 100k units at the end of the last century. With the dawn of the new century that number would drop back into the low 90k units per year with the dropping of the C1 scooter line and declining rate of 1200C sales.

The C1 scooter was very well received but was developed and built on the assumption its safety features would let EU regulators allow riders to opt out of wearing helmets. This didn't happen. The end result were risky projected sales the 2001 review wouldn't allow.

The 1200C hung on longer. The build out for the 2005 model year allowed production part inventory to be used and or transferred to the support parts inventory system. Sales may have been strong enough to continue in a static product line but not strong enough to pay for development and win a spot in the next gen engine lineup.

BMW has been looking for production capacity, replacement options and funding ever since the C1 and 1200C models were dropped. The new Maxi C models are filling the scooter niche. Now the MotherShip is looking for a cruiser to sell.

Just to pipe in here again: the K1600 is ugly, no getting around it. I think the 101 concept is actually better looking overall. And I had two K1600s (until the wife traded hers in on a Harley again.... now she's looking to go back hah!).

I hope lots of riders buy one. Lots and lots. In fact, I hope it scares HD with its favorable press coverage and, ultimately, its sales. We will all benefit from one more successful BMW motorcycle. Whether you like the Concept or not, whether you ever ride one or not, if it is highly successful, my hope is that it results in doubling or tripling the number of BMW dealerships across the USA. The thin dealer network is the only thing I DO NOT like about BMW bikes.

I sure some of the "cruiser types" will like it, but doesn't appeal to me.

Yes the bike looks nice, lots of thought into a cruiser ride and plenty of hard work, but it also looks like a lot of the other "cruisers" out there. As a concept bike, well then fine, looks pretty and you did good. But if BMW wants to make it a production bike, well then I think they just "Drank The Cool-Aid". Yes the R1200C was BMW's cruiser, but it was still uniquely BMW and not a clone of what someone else had already done. If you want a cruiser, get a V twin and be happy.

It looks like a "knock-off" of the Honda Goldwing F6B, which is a 'knock-off" of an HD Street Glide. I don't think the F6B has been flying off the showroom floors, so for BMW the dilemma is, will a $30,000 copy of the Street glide be a sales success? The BMW has the same useless sloping passenger seat as the Street Glide, and the seat height is so low that it looks rear shock travel might be around 2", same as the Street Glide. I am not sure anybody besides HD can make form over function sell.

The F6B doesn't sell. You can find tons of leftover 2013 models for around $13k, when the guys who bought them in '13 paid nearly $20,000. By not offering cruise control until this model year, they shot themselves in the foot.

The Vision doesn't sell very well either, so I'm not sure why BMW would want to build something so obviously pulled them either.

The 1200C Montauk was a good looking bike. The weird half-ape bars on the other models gave them an odd look. I've tried to locate a good deal on a Montauk, but haven't found one.
Thank you for taking the time to find it and the kind words.

In response to Bud's 1200C observation:

I do not have my sales notes handy to see where the 1200C ranked in any year. The key number to consider may be the year 1999, rather than any sales figure.

In the 80s through much of the 90s BMW, led by the auto segment, went on an expansion binge. Led by the 3 series, production was expanded as was the product line the company owned. In Britain alone it acquired the rights and control of over 200 active and inactive brands. It had a protracted fight with VW over the Bentley / Rolls Royce Motorcar brands. By the end of the 90s the company sold off Rover along with some other active brands, retained MINI and the inactive brand names for future use or sale, and went back to Munich to figure out what was next.

In 2001, under new management board leadership, every BMW segment went under review. BMW Motorrad was the first segment to complete and survive the process. Others would be spun off or reorganized and retained. The process took six years for the entire company to complete.

On the Motorrad side, the 90s saw a couple of major changes.

Importer / dealer strategy changed. BMW had worked mainly with private companies that would hold the right to import and distribute. In turn those importers developed their own independent strategies to award dealerships within their distribution areas. In the 90s this strategy began to go away and the MotherShip began to take direct control of the importing / dealer process.

Motorrad production was ramped up to feed the expansionist growth strategy. In the 90s it went from a niche brand cranking out 30k + units per year world wide to over 100k units at the end of the last century. With the dawn of the new century that number would drop back into the low 90k units per year with the dropping of the C1 scooter line and declining rate of 1200C sales.

The C1 scooter was very well received but was developed and built on the assumption its safety features would let EU regulators allow riders to opt out of wearing helmets. This didn't happen. The end result were risky projected sales the 2001 review wouldn't allow.

The 1200C hung on longer. The build out for the 2005 model year allowed production part inventory to be used and or transferred to the support parts inventory system. Sales may have been strong enough to continue in a static product line but not strong enough to pay for development and win a spot in the next gen engine lineup.

BMW has been looking for production capacity, replacement options and funding ever since the C1 and 1200C models were dropped. The new Maxi C models are filling the scooter niche. Now the MotherShip is looking for a cruiser to sell.

Concept 101 being promoted in an e-mail from the mothership.

06image-concept.jpg

It's OK with me :D

OM

IIRC for 1999 it was their highest selling model.

They sold over 40,000 units during it's run.

According to BMW, they thought the 1200 cc engine was too small for the cruiser market.

See This article where they quote the president of BMW Motorod

Of course, the 1600 will be plenty of cc's and hp and torque to compete in the market segment.

The styling is another thing altogether.

And charging BMW prices will make it even more difficult to sell.

I didn't recall correctly.

According to Cycle World, September 1999, page 55, the R 1200 C was the larges selling model in 1998.

I stand corrected.

Got enough plumbing on the thing for cry eye?
I know you need to get the exhaust past the bags but wow, you could smuggle elephants in those pipes.
Bet it's really quick between taverns
But seriously and as always I really have no opinion
Roland must be swimming in corporate bucks didn't he just do a scrambler for Victory? Pikes Peak bike

Got enough plumbing on the thing for cry eye?
I know you need to get the exhaust past the bags but wow, you could smuggle a bushel of sweet corn in those pipes.
Bet it's really quick between taverns
But seriously and as always I really have no opinion
Roland must be swimming in corporate bucks didn't he just do a scrambler for Victory? Pikes Peak bike
FTFY :eat
OM

I hope lots of riders buy one. Lots and lots. In fact, I hope it scares HD with its favorable press coverage and, ultimately, its sales. We will all benefit from one more successful BMW motorcycle. Whether you like the Concept or not, whether you ever ride one or not, if it is highly successful, my hope is that it results in doubling or tripling the number of BMW dealerships across the USA. The thin dealer network is the only thing I DO NOT like about BMW bikes.

I totally agree that a successful model such as this would be good news for existing BMW riders in North America whether or not we buy this model for the reasons you state - most especially an expanding rather than static dealer network where we ride.

I didn't recall correctly.

According to Cycle World, September 1999, page 55, the R 1200 C was the larges selling model in 1998.

I stand corrected.

1994-2003: The first four-valve GS

The R 1100 GS appeared in 1994 and was the first enduro to feature the four-valve engine launched a year earlier. This impressive motorcycle saw BMW continue to set standards in the enduro segment, and in many countries it topped the annual statistics on new vehicle registrations. Thanks to its innovative suspension coupled with a powerful, high-torque engine, the R 1100 GS offered easy handling off road coupled with outstanding touring abilities on the road. Its successor, the R 1150 GS, continued the success story of BMW Motorrad travel enduros in 1999, as did the BMW Motorrad R 1150 GS Adventure, which was specially designed for the needs of long-distance travellers and which appeared in dealerships in 2002.

from: http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en...tory/historic_bikes/bikes_main.html&notrack=1

Harry

Back