• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

CO2 cartridges or air compressor?

utahskies

I'm always worried about encountering a flat in the middle of nowhere, though in 40 years of riding, it hasn't happened yet.

What is your preferred method of tire inflation in that circumstance? Old school CO2 cartridges or one of these newer compact air compressors?

What is your preferred method of tire inflation in that circumstance? Old school CO2 cartridges or one of these newer compact air compressors?

I'm a belt-and-suspenders guy; I carry both compact air compressor and CO2 cartridges (around 10 or so of those). I used to also carry a small bicycle handpump.

I like redundency, because I really like redundency.....

I also carry both, but I'll use the CO2 first. Easier and faster, no load on the electrical system.

I am trying to make this decision also. Does CO2 leak out of the tire any faster than air? Seems I read that somewhere or maybe dreamed it - not sure which.

I am trying to make this decision also. Does CO2 leak out of the tire any faster than air? Seems I read that somewhere or maybe dreamed it - not sure which.

IMHO the "leakage speed" of CO2 vs "air" vs Nitrogen is moot. If you're using the CO2 to fill a tire, I think the quality of the plug repair will be a bigger concern.

Which is why I have a back-up compressor. Once you're out of cartridges you're out.

If you want to be sure- there is the Slime 12V compressor-

40001-full20.jpg

If you want to be positive- there is the Cycle Pump-

Expedition%20cropped.jpg

If someone comes out with a Schrader adaptor for the 88grm Co2 cartridges.....with a shutoff valve it may change my mind on Co2. The 12grm- Meh.

OM

I've been using a Slime compressor for over 10 years. Used it on bikes, cars & trucks without a problem. Mostly use it on other peoples tires. Baled a biker out the other day because his CO2 cartridges leaked while trying to fill his tire. And the stations pump had a damaged chuck.

his CO2 cartridges leaked while trying to fill his tire.

With my kit you have to attach the cartridge to the hose, but not tight enough to puncture it, then the hose to the valve, then tighten the cartridge to puncture and fill. Then remove hose from the valve and then remove cartridge from the hose. Any other order will cause leakage.

Air compressor is more reliable and gives you a 2nd chance. I stopped to help a guy once, we found and plugged the hole, and hooked up mu Slime pump, it seemed slow to build pressure so we started looking and found a 2nd hole!!! After plugging that it pumped up normally. If I only had co2, he would have been out of luck as it would have all leaked out while plugging the 2nd hole.

Moto pumps makes some great small pumps that take up no more room than co2.

http://motopumps.com/

Air compressor is more reliable and gives you a 2nd chance. I stopped to help a guy once, we found and plugged the hole, and hooked up mu Slime pump, it seemed slow to build pressure so we started looking and found a 2nd hole!!! After plugging that it pumped up normally. If I only had co2, he would have been out of luck as it would have all leaked out while plugging the 2nd hole.

Moto pumps makes some great small pumps that take up no more room than co2.

http://motopumps.com/

"More reliable and 2nd chance" got my attention. I think I'll go with a compressor. Thanks much.

You don't get much tire inflation from a Co2 cartridge. I had a flat, made the repair, and injected my 4 cartridges- it equated to 20 lbs or less of air. To really, seriously inflate a tire that needs 40 lbs of air... well, one poster above mentioned he carries 10 cartridges.

Compressor.

Stop n Go has a compressor that uses motor power- remove a spark plug, insert compressor attachment, and pump up your tire.

http://www.stopngo.com/engine-powered-air-pump-for-motorcycles-5-ft-hose-with-quick-release-lever/

A friend of mine has one of these, and I remember being VERY impressed with it. He did say "it's expensive".... It's THE most expensive option, almost without doubt. BUT.

http://www.stopngo.com/cycle-pump-adventure-model-works-on-cars-and-small-trucks-too/

I was getting about 5 lbs/cartridge so 7 got me home fine. Today I should receive my cyclepump and 10 more replacement cartridges. Tomorrow I get the tire replaced and will be ready for the next mishap.

So much for the notion that CO2s are more compact. I had no idea I needed at least 7-10 of them. I went with the compressor from Dynaplug, and having given it a test run, it seems like a solid choice.

You don't get much tire inflation from a Co2 cartridge. I had a flat, made the repair, and injected my 4 cartridges- it equated to 20 lbs or less of air. To really, seriously inflate a tire that needs 40 lbs of air... well, one poster above mentioned he carries 10 cartridges.

Compressor.

Stop n Go has a compressor that uses motor power- remove a spark plug, insert compressor attachment, and pump up your tire.

http://www.stopngo.com/engine-powered-air-pump-for-motorcycles-5-ft-hose-with-quick-release-lever/

A friend of mine has one of these, and I remember being VERY impressed with it. He did say "it's expensive".... It's THE most expensive option, almost without doubt. BUT.

http://www.stopngo.com/cycle-pump-adventure-model-works-on-cars-and-small-trucks-too/

The key to using one of these compression pumps is to make sure you ground the spark plug while it's in the spark plug cap so the spark plug cap. Otherwise you may destroy a coil. Voice of experiments, as my friend Ozzie would say. I did this on an old airhead. Personally, I'd never use one again. I have a compact electric pump (from Walmart), on each of my bikes, along with a plug kit on the ones with tubeless tires and tube, patch kit, long tire irons and rim savers on the ones with tubes.

I spent the major part of a day by the side of a road trying to fix a flat using two repair kits: a Plug 'n Go and BMW, and CO2 cylinders. The tire was cut and we couldn't get it to seal. Now I don't go anywhere without a pump, and carry three different kits with both strings and plugs. I have a little pod on the back seat to carry them.

The C02 works better if you use one of the bicycle style holders as opposed to the tiny 50's era hose supplied on BMW kits. Our 11S came with the tiny hose and was somewhat useless.

PU290D00.jpeg
Just one of many offerings, make sure it has a dual head as most were designed for presta valves and not schrader. The benefit is they have a control valve so you don't lose much air and don't freeze your hand.

I have got enough air with 3 to get down the road.Have a compressor and kit on most bikes where I have room. On the S's it typically is cartridges for day rides.

On a bicycle, one cartridge on a 700c tire will get you close to 120psi...if anyone cares:jester

Neither!

A compact Crank Brothers Power Pump...no wiring or electric pump to fail and it can't run out of air.

Crank%20Brothers%20Power%20Puimp-M.jpg

Actually both! I carry a small CO2 kit for daily around town riding. Enough to get me to a nearby gas station or tire shop. For road trips I add a small compressor.

Back