• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Clock and volt meter gauges

tbounds

Has anyone had experience with having them fixed ? Mine are not working need work who do you use and how much should it cost to rebuild ?

Check the speedometer section in the link in my signature line. See if they might fix them. Also consider Terry Vrla...he's an independent small repairman...not sure if fixes other instruments. In the end, the price to fix might be the same (or more) as the price of reasonable looking replacements.

bought a pair of gauges - 1 V-meter and a clock, from this outfit. I selected white faces for ease of visibility, and they had a clock with sweep second hand.20161103_135043.jpg

While my BMW gauges work just fine, it has become increasingly costly to keep them maintained. What used to cost $20 per to keep them running now costs upwards of $100. I bought the pair of these for <$90 and put the BMW gauges into safe keeping.

Update: Got them @ Egauges.com in Michigan, MotoMeter brand. If ordering anywhere, these are 2 1'6" diameter.
Just a warning: when I called E-gauges, someone answered the phone and sounded as if I woke them up. Just answered "hello."

I ordered online and got prompt tracking info and they arrived in good shape. I did my usual re-wiring, over doing it with weatherproof connectors and all that jazz.

Peace. Out.

Last edited:
What outfit did they come from?

Didn't see a link or a name for the supplier of those gauges - pass it on please

Thanks
Roy

I recommend using a company like Overseas Speedometer instead of someone who does this as a side job.

changed guages

I looked at getting my original volt and clock reworked the cost would be about $250 each . I decided i would put some VDO gauges instead and store the originals ,if i ever did a total restoration.
the VDO voltmeter $60 and clock $80 , it is my understanding that they are new and work way more reliably than old ones.

I ran VDO Gauges for over 300,000 miles after the originals stopped working.

The gages have been sold and passed on to another rider, you can see the at the top of the photo.

Attachments

• Picture 451.jpg
    Picture 451.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 153
Whatever you end up getting, it needs to have some internal damping as well as weather resistance. I needed a voltmeter and I ended up looking at those sold for boat usage...they certainly were designed for use in/around water and a bumpy/rough environment.

That's some good advice from Kurt. The original voltmeters sure could use a bit of damping! Watching mine bounce the full range of the meter while I sit at a light with a turn indicator on is alarming...

I wire a quartz LCD voltmeter to my bike batteries so I know what the _real_ voltage is. :thumb

I bought O-rings slightly smaller than the outside diameter of the gauge body, and rolled them on. That seemed to dampen any vibration.

I have fixed two clocks on my own. turns out the electrolytic capacitors dry out. simply replacing these has worked twice for me.... motometer type clocks.

the most difficult part of the repair is the removal and reinstallation of the black ring that holds the glass.

G

Last edited:
clocks%20and%20lazy%20susans%20021-228x228.jpg

I think you tickle the fins. The thick one is hours, the thinner one is minutes.

Does anyone know how to set time on cod clock?

Setting the time will have to be done with something on the backside, but more than likely, what you're looking at is to push down on the center knob and turn it to the time desired. That's about all I can think of.

If you mean pod clock or oem clock then there is a knob on the back. Reach under dash to back of the clock.

That is probably a spell checked version of Time Of Day (TOD) clock. Us computer guys want to make sure that no one gets confused and think that we are talking about the R100's CPU system clocks.

Back