• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Cleaning Alloy with apple Cider Vinegar

AUSSIE_BMW_PAUL

Hi all Has anyone used this to clean the rough alloy on a twin engine or wheel or final drive as I have read it in another post? If so neat or reduced? :scratch

Acids in general

I know there are various acid based products that clean aluminums, (storm doors, automotive wheels, etc) and related alloys. I imagine Apple Cider Vinegar is just a weak acid. I have found you have to be very cautious with acids because they readily harm paint, even trim paint, and can even discolor the aluminum you are cleaning. If you use these type of cleaners finish the job with a bath of water and baking soda to neutralize any acid residue on the surfaces of the bike. Always test what you are doing on a small surface first.

Vinegar is about 5% acetic acid ... which itself is a fairly weak acid. Very soluble in water, though, so easy to rinse away when you finish your treatment process.

Try Autosol, if you can find it. I use it on all my aluminum and chrome. It cleans and protects very well. Work in small area with a ScotchBrite pad and elbow grease. Will turn black and remove all oxidation and stains pretty well. Wipe clean with a clean soft cloth. It will leave a nice patina slightly darker than original. If you want it bright like original, then use some WD40 afterwards, rubbing it in and then rinse off excess. Looks pretty darn good.

Back