• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Checking Brake Pad Thickness on Rear of '07 GSA

Wallowa

Howdy..looking for information [as usual..],

My owner's manual says to inspect the left side of the rear caliper and if the brake disc is visible in either of the two holes [I assume the "plugs" you see are brake pads] then the pads must be replaced..

Here is my question: 735 miles on '07 R1200GS Adventure...the forward "hole" shows the pad recessed in the hole about 1/4" while the rear "hole" has the pad flush with the surface of the caliper...what gives? Why the apparent differential wear, if that is what it is? Any with new GSAs see the same situation on your bikes?

Thanks...so much to learn! Subtle but important details!

Attachments

• Rear Wear Tabs '07 GSA.jpg
    Rear Wear Tabs '07 GSA.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
I changed my pads at 22k miles on 12GS. The best thing to do is pull the caliper & look at the pads every few thousand miles.

Added an Image..

I added an image to the original post to clarify my question...if the wear tabs are for judging pad wear..what does this unequal depth of the wear tabs mean? Is it normal?

Again anyone with a new GSA..please look at yours and see if the front [or rear for that matter] wear tab in more recessed than the rear tab...like in the photo..

Thanks yet again..:wave

rear Pads

Mine were gone around 16.5 K miles
The local dealer installed them in 15 minutes
and only charged me around $10.00 more than I would paid for parts and shipping thru A&S. I was very happy to say the least.

mine were gone and at first you could see the disc thru one hole.
then the second started showing and it got kinda noisy.
So the offset may be an early warning.
I down shifted the rest of the ride and all the way to the dealer
You will know when they are gone.

The mechanic just looked up along the disc at the pads like you would do on a car.
I dont think you need to pull the caliper to get an idea of how they are.

Anyway looks to me like you have lots left, Id just ask the wrench next time you are at a dealer. I think the paint dots and color tabs are kinda confusing myself. Just grab a maglight and lay down and take a look

Mjuskiw
Akron Ohio

Back