• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Charging Schuberth SRC on the road when you can't plug into the wall

wisconsinkris

Does anyone have any charging suggestions for a schuberth SRC when traveling when you don't have access to plug it in to the wall adapter? I have tried two different brand power packs and neither recognizes the headset???!!.

I have the BMW setup. I have power to a tank bag and a USB wired directly to the battery. I have a USB cord that fits the com and plug it into the outlet. I am not sure how the SRC is charged.

12V to 115VAC Inverter

Does anyone have any charging suggestions for a schuberth SRC when traveling when you don't have access to plug it in to the wall adapter? I have tried two different brand power packs and neither recognizes the headset???!!.

Use a Powerlet adapter to allow the accessory socket (assuming you have one) to accept the US standard accessory plug on a small inverter to connect to the bike. Now you have household AC power and you can plug in the standard SRC charger.

This is a possible solution but you may need to lengthen a cable, or add a socket, or... But, the inverter route should work.

Do the charging while the engine is running to avoid draining the battery of course.

I carry in my topcase one of those back up USB batteries that is about the size of a deck of cards. Whenever I stop for a break, fuel or food I plug my Sena into it to get a bit of juice. This has added a solid couple of hours to my battery life over the course of a full day of riding. When I get to my destination for the day I bring the battery in and charge it back up ready for use the next day.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

I don't have one of these, but looking at WBW and RevZilla's ad it appears that charging is handled through a USB connection, just like about every other phone and radio and device. So you don't need to install an inverter on your bike to charge it, you only need a USB wall wart (if you have a wall to plug in to) or a power adapter (if you want your bike to charge it) such as this one from AeroStich. They're a zillion USB power supplies and adapters out there.

Others have suggested a USB power pack and I too have one of those and use it to charge stuff on coffee breaks.

You said you had a couple of these and neither worked. Leads me to think the cable you were using might be bad. Try another.

On my Cardo, the wall wart accepts a Cardo USB cable. I suspect the SRC is the same, so try using the same cable. If it works in the wall wart, it should work in the power pack.

On my power pack, there is a button on the flat face that must be pressed to initiate charging. Is yours like that? If so, be sure to press the button!

Let us know how you get on.

I have tried two different brands of power packs. The Oem cable as well as several others. The power pack charges iPhones, androids and iPads with out any issue. I've tried the 1,2, and 2.1 amp jacks and no luck!

But for some reason I can ONLY charge the SRC using the wall wart.

I got my latest power pack with thoughts on charging under the seat while riding all day and then charging the needed items at night.

There is something about just power packs that the SRC won't charge off of.

If you have a usb connection on the bike, run a cable from there to your helmet while you are riding. I do this with the BMW system.

Use Solar

Try a Goal Zero solar panel and battery pack like the Guide 10. I use this to keep my headset charged. The solar panel fits well in the clear map space of most tank bags. While you ride you have your solar panel charge s the battery pack. I also charge items with the bike's plug-in with a Can-bus to USB adapter.
20140531_124628.jpg

Try a Goal Zero solar panel and battery pack like the Guide 10. I use this to keep my headset charged. The solar panel fits well in the clear map space of most tank bags. While you ride you have your solar panel charge s the battery pack. I also charge items with the bike's plug-in with a Can-bus to USB adapter.

Ho...ly...cow! That's incredible!

Anker powerpak

I use an Anker powerpak....not sure what size....but very substantial....I DO like the solar option tho':thumb

I have tried two different brands of power packs. The Oem cable as well as several others. The power pack charges iPhones, androids and iPads with out any issue. I've tried the 1,2, and 2.1 amp jacks and no luck!

But for some reason I can ONLY charge the SRC using the wall wart.

I got my latest power pack with thoughts on charging under the seat while riding all day and then charging the needed items at night.

There is something about just power packs that the SRC won't charge off of.

I have an Iogear power pack with 1.1 and 2.1 USB outlets. I have a Cardo G9. It has been sitting unplugged-in for over a week, so it should take a charge. Attached it to the 2.1 amp outlet and it did charge for a few minutes and then shut off. Twice. Plugged it into the wall wart and it resumed charging. Seems to be charging ok from the wall wart. Will keep an eye on it.

Cardo makes the SRC as well as the G9. Seems to me the draw is either too high or too low for the battery pack.

I installed a powerlet connection from the RT's passenger outlet to the topbox and put a SAE corded cigar lighter outlet inside, equipped with a plug-in USB outlet. But, I have not tried it out when riding. Never ran out of G9 power and recharged in the motel... .

Well, it's been over 5 minutes now and the G9 is still charging. I have no idea...

If you do call Cardo about this, and you should, please post their theory here for all of us.

Ed,

Same findings as you. However, I used a "battery tender" branded USB adapter plugged into the tender's charging pigtail and it will charge.

One of these days I'll give cardo a call. They don't seem to answer emails. I got a response from the battery pack brand and all they said was that it was for smartphones and tablets. They don't support anything else.

I don't think it's the charging level but something in the battery pack technology that doesn't sense what it wants to so shuts off after 20-30 seconds.

Set up a usb outlet under your seat and run a micro usb to charge while riding or just put under your seat for an hour and you'll have six or so hours of battery life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charging SRC on the road

Add the optional tinfoil helmet liner and ride during lightening storm?? :dunno

Friedle

Back