• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Charging problems with BMW Navigator V

Anyname

I have a Navigator V that was new in February. Since the weather wasn't exactly bike friendly, I installed the mount on my R1200R, updated the maps, shut the device off and ignored it (in it's case) for a couple of months. I started using it again this past weekend and found that the battery was dead. This seems a bit odd since other GPS units I have owned while hold at least a partial charge for much longer.

The unit seemed to take some charge from the mount while I rode for an hour or two, but when I returned home and attempted to charge it using the USB port, I didn't have much luck and the battery isn't showing much charge even after many hours on a USB charger. It also seems to start looping through a reboot/shutdown/reboot cycle. So, a couple of questions:

1) Should the Nav V charge from any USB charger? It seems like it did when it was new.

2) Has anyone any idea if the warranty on a GPS is something I should work with the dealer or direct with BMW? The Nav V quick start manual is provides zero information on this and doesn't provide any contact information that I can see. BMW's web site isn't any help either.

Hmmm, I finally found a customer service number for BMW Motorad. I was able to learn that BMW customer service knows nothing about the Nav units. It looks like the dealers are supposed to provide support.

Yep, ended up doing that. Although BMW didn't know it, Garmin provides the support for the BMW Nav units. I also found out that a complete manual for the Nav V is available through the Garmin Express application.

Garmin did confirm that the unit should charge it's battery through the USB connection to my computer (although they were not sure if non-Garmin wall chargers would work). They also said they would replace the battery if it was defective. They were much more helpful than the mother ship.

There is also a complete PDF manual in a folder on the unit itself. Poke around with Windows Explorer or equivalent while you have it hooked up via USB cable.

And yes, it should charge via a USB cable. One thing to consider is that the unit typically stays in a sort of almost on (sleep) state, so that when you power it on, it comes on instantly. Leaving it in that state might be why it went dead on you, because it is still running. I think you have to push and hold the button for a while when turning it off in order for it to go all the way off.

From the manual:

Turning off the device

1. Hold the power key until a prompt appears on the screen.

The prompt appears after 5 seconds. If you release the key before the prompt appears, the device enters sleep mode.

2. Select Off.

Thanks for the information Emoto. I'll keep an eye on the battery charge but I think I have been shutting the device down properly.

The Nav V had some issues with Windows Explorer under Windows 7 so I never explored the folders on the device. I did demonstrate that doing a right click (to get to the eject command) would definitely lockup Windows Explorer and require a restart of the program.

I did some additional investigating and learned the following:

1) The complete and detailed user manual is available in the Garmin Express application used to update software and maps. I doesn't seem to be offered on Garmin's web site.

2) You can charge a Navigator V using a computer if the Garmin Express application is running on the computer. I does not appear to work if the application is not running.

3) Non-Garmin USB chargers (iPhone etc.) do not seem to charge the unit. I tried several and the Nav V seemed confused by them. It just kept rebooting over and over.

4) Garmin USA says they are right people to call for Nav V support issues. The rep. I spoke to indicated that they have OEM people who can handle warranty issues etc.

It's unfortunate that BMW did not think to cover support access and the location of the manual in the quick start guide or in the devices Help application. Maybe BMW has never had a customer with a product issue before...

Using the USB cable connected to a PC is a slow way to charge your Nav (especially if the PC goes into sleep mode and won't keep power going to the USB port) . Just use an iPhone/iPad charger if you have one. I have on my Nav V an and works just fine. And, yes, the user manual is saved on the device itself. Just connect your Nav to your PC and copy that PDF file wherever you want it. I use Dropbox, so I saved the user manual to my Mac and to my Dropbox folder. That way, I can access it on the road using either my iPhone, or iPad.

I have done a bit more experimenting. My Nav V will charge from iPhone and iPad chargers, but while it does, it continues to cycle endlessly through boot up, to loving screen, to the connected-to-a-computer screen. Does everyone else's do that as well?

The battery does lose it's charge remarkably fast even though the unit is shut down. While it's not likely to be a problem while connected to the bike, I may check with Garmin on this to see if they have any insights.

I haven't tried mine with anything other than a standard USB cable or the bike cradle, so I don't know how it would perform, but I have never had my battery go dead from just sitting, so there may be something that Garmin can help you with. I would call them.

I realize this is an old thread but I am having charging issues as well and figured it best to stay with an existing thread.

The short version is that the battery in the Nav 5 will not charge. I figure, being lithium, it has discharged past the point of no return while in storage in my house over the winter. I highly doubt that the Garmin Warranty covers the battery.

If I plug the unit in to a USB port, charger or computer or powered cradle, the unit will power up and tell me the battery is low. However, after 4 hours of charging, the battery stays low.

How did you resolve your issue? Battery replacement?

My battery charged OK, but went dead quickly when not stored on the bike. Garmin placed the entire GPS under warranty. They claimed that that was the recommended course of action for the BMW unit. I would have been happy enough to try a new battery.

I purchased my Nav V in August, 2015. There are a few items I've noticed.

1) the Nav V will charge fairly rapidly - 1-2 hrs - if in the bike cradle and the bike is running.
2) the Nav V charges really quite slowly - 5-7 hrs - if connected to the computer via the USB cable AND the computer must be on AND Garmin Express must be "active" on the computer. I set my computer to "time out" at three hours and have to reset it at the end of the three hour period.
3) with a full charge the Nav V - by itself - will run 4-5 hours before I get the "low battery" notice
4) I purchased the Garmin wall charger and it DOES NOT charge the Nav V - I would have returned it but it only cost $15 and not worth the time and hassle. It does not charge because even though the micro USB end fits in the Nav V, its obviously not making correct contact with the contact points in the Nav V.
5) I was able to download/print the Owners Manual from the BMW web site
6) I keep my BMW permanently connected to a automatic trickle charger, when its in the shed. I was told to NOT leave the Nav V in the bike cradle when the bike is parked in the shed because the auto trickle charger would overcharge the Nav V battery and cause damage to the unit.

6) I keep my BMW permanently connected to a automatic trickle charger, when its in the shed. I was told to NOT leave the Nav V in the bike cradle when the bike is parked in the shed because the auto trickle charger would overcharge the Nav V battery and cause damage to the unit.

That's a handy piece of information. I never considered that the Nav V would charge since it goes off after the ignition is switched off. Who told you this?

That's a handy piece of information. I never considered that the Nav V would charge since it goes off after the ignition is switched off. Who told you this?

For what it's worth, I've left my Nav V in the cradle and an Optimate 6 plugged routinely plugged in for the 16 months I've owned my RT and that hasn't happened.

Garmin gets 👍👍👍 for customer support, in my book
Even older models can be exchanged or repaired at reasonable costs

My experience has taught me that what you said below is exactly correct.

1) The complete and detailed user manual is available in the Garmin Express application used to update software and maps. I doesn't seem to be offered on Garmin's web site.

2) You can charge a Navigator V using a computer if the Garmin Express application is running on the computer. I does not appear to work if the application is not running.

3) Non-Garmin USB chargers (iPhone etc.) do not seem to charge the unit. I tried several and the Nav V seemed confused by them. It just kept rebooting over and over.

4) Garmin USA says they are right people to call for Nav V support issues. The rep. I spoke to indicated that they have OEM people who can handle warranty issues etc.

Thanks for confirming this!!!

Jeff

Garmin gets ������ for customer support, in my book

My experience with them is different. I had an issue once and their initial reply was, "that can't be happening." I sent them a screen shot and they changed their answer to, "we don't know why that's happening."

About a year later I had a problem with routes going haywire halfway through a ride. After a few hours, the routes would jump off of roads and draw a straight line between waypoints. Garmin said it must be a problem with the Zumo itself Since I was out of warranty, they sold me another one at less than full price. After a few weeks, the new unit began doing the same thing. I eventually figured out that the problem was that I'd loaded a map update on the unit's internal storage and then later updates on an SD card. I reformatted the SD card and it worked fine.

I told Garmin about all this and not only did they not bother to thank me for adding to their knowledge base (I assume I'm not the only person to ever do this) but they also didn't offer to refund what I'd paid for the replacement Zumo that I didn't need.

There's a download you can put on your PC called ASUS AI Charger. It boosts the output of your USB ports so you can charge an iPad. I have this and when I plug in the NAv5 to my PC it immediately starts charging whether or not Garmin Express is on. I imagine standard USB power is insufficient for the Nav5.

I wonder if it's a difference between a USB 2 port and a USB 3, which puts out more power. I plugged mine into a USB 3 but can't tell if it's charging or not since it goes into remote disk mode. I know if I plug it into a wall charger with a USB port it recharges. But I always leave it mounted on the bike anyway.

Back