• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

centerstand replacement

S

sneakers563

I finally got around to replacing the ageing Reynolds ride off stand on my /5 with a new BMW centerstand. I've never messed with the stand before.

I'm trying to put the new bushings into the new centerstand and they're really tight. I can't press them in by hand. Is this normal? I was thinking I would heat up the stand and put the bushings in the freezer, but I see here: http://www.bmwscotter.com/procedures/centerstand_service/centerstand_service.htm that the centerstand should rotate on the bushings, and I'm doubting whether this is possible.

Also, I see on that page that the recommended bushing is 46 52 1 233 087. My local BMW shop sold me that centerstand (#757), but the bushings they gave me are 46 52 1 230 210, which is listed at bmwscotter as appropriate for the /5, but "obsolete". Is it possible that my bushings are the wrong diameter for my centerstand? Should they slip into the stand without too much trouble, or do I need to use the bolt to draw them in?

The bushings should just slip into the holes in the centerstand. The centerstand rotates on the bushings, with the through bolts screwing into the tabs on the frame. Remember to install the springs properly, and grease the apparatus a couple of times a year.

If I am not mistaken, are there not two sizes of bushings? I thought that someone told me that there was an oversize bushing that could be used for worn out centerstands. Your brand new centerstand will not like the oversize bushing.

I've read there's a 11mm and a 13.5mm. I bet that's what it is. The bushings definitely do not just slip into the holes in the stand. I'll run by BMW on Tuesday and see if I can sort it out.

Last year my stand was getting wobbly so I removed it. I found the factory bolts were worn almost in half because the bushings were stuck in the stand. I cleaned up the bushings, greased them well, added new washers (large flat washer not on origional installation and a spring washer) and used lock tight on the new bolts. Been nice and tight since then. I grease then once in awhile and all is well. I would also lock tight your bolts to keep them from backing out.

Used a friend's digital calipers to measure the bushings. They're 18mm in diameter. The holes in the centerstand are 17.5mm. The black paint covering the stand goes into the holes. I wonder if it's just too thick. I can almost press the bushings in, but they go about 1/8" and then get stuck.

Clean the paint out with a little emery cloth or something like that and you will probably be ok. The bushings are a loose slip fit. They need some room for the grease to coat them. They should not wobble, but be loose.

Back