• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Center line riding on two lane roads

jrmull

Good or bad riding technique?

Not sure where I read this, but a seasoned rider mentioned that he likes to use the center line of a two lane road to be more visible to oncoming traffic.

He uses the far left side of his lane until the oncoming car gets 50 yards or so out and then moves to center of his lane. Not playing chicken with the other car, but it makes him very visible.

I tried it today on my back roads in the far suburbs of Chicago. Boy it really worked well.

The other cars use to crowd my side if I stay on the right side of my lane. They act like they own the entire road of these narrow country blacktops. I get squeezed over using the center or far right side of my lane.

With the new technique of being near center of the blacktop road, the on coming car drivers are clearly evaluating what to do. Slowing down, moving far right as much as they can. No one honked as expected or shook their fist, but they clearly were alert to my location. A lot of heads up alert stares.

I move center of my lane about 50-75 yards out to avoid a problem. It sure made my ride more comfortable. I can't find the original author, but thanks for the tips.

Feel free to comments on better ideas. New rider here, just learning survival.

I've heard about that sort of thing. It's clear that if you're in the right half of the lane, cars in front can block the view of oncoming traffic of your presence.

My only concern about riding in the center of the lane is that's where all of the debris gets kicked from the 4-wheel traffic. Not to mention extra oil/water droppings. I avoid the center of the lane for this reason.

I generally ride in the left wheel track unless I've moved toward the right fog line for better visibility around a lefthand curve. I don't ride on the centerline, but close to it. There are plenty of reasons to ride in other locations on the road, but in general I find the idea of keeping left unless there's some reason to be elsewhere to be a good one. Whole chapters have been written on the subject of lane positioning, by many authors - some of whom even agree with each other!

For the sake of this discussion, I think we're 'operating' under a scenario where there is no traffic ahead of us in our direction to block any view. Ergo, where do we position ourselves to be conspicuous at the earliest possible moment to oncoming vehicles?

Not sure where you read an article that promotes favoring the middle path in a lane, but the March issue of ON had Jim Ford, a well-known motorcycle safety educator, making his argument for staying close to the centerline until noticed by oncoming traffic - then shift to the right as needed.

His op-ed was an interesting read, but I'd need to personally 'beta-test' it before buying into what other highway users could perceive as aggressive riding on our part.

As Kurt also mentions, the center lane is usually the depository for all things that fall off or drip from cages, so it comes with risk to hang out there too long. Position changing (and the accompanying movement of your headlights) has now been researched as a proven method to alert otherwise distracted drivers that the two of you are rapidly closing the gap.

In this age of aggressive driving, inattentive driving and 'snowflakes' that offend at absolutely everything, I'll stay away from constantly positioning myself near the centerline, substituting movement within my lane to be noticed (along with conspicuous gear and lighting), while making sure I haven't drifted so far to the right as to have canceled out my 'escape path' if needed.

Safe riding to all, as Old Man Winter grudgingly releases it's icy grip (at least, north of the Mason-Dixon Line). :thumb

Good or bad riding technique?

Not sure where I read this, but a seasoned rider mentioned that he likes to use the center line of a two lane road to be more visible to oncoming traffic.

He uses the far left side of his lane until the oncoming car gets 50 yards or so out and then moves to center of his lane. Not playing chicken with the other car, but it makes him very visible.

I tried it today on my back roads in the far suburbs of Chicago. Boy it really worked well.

The other cars use to crowd my side if I stay on the right side of my lane. They act like they own the entire road of these narrow country blacktops. I get squeezed over using the center or far right side of my lane.

With the new technique of being near center of the blacktop road, the on coming car drivers are clearly evaluating what to do. Slowing down, moving far right as much as they can. No one honked as expected or shook their fist, but they clearly were alert to my location. A lot of heads up alert stares.

I move center of my lane about 50-75 yards out to avoid a problem. It sure made my ride more comfortable. I can't find the original author, but thanks for the tips.

Feel free to comments on better ideas. New rider here, just learning survival.

Hey - a personal shout-out to Bolingbrook! I have personally ridden most of the Chicago suburbs, including yours when I rode in the "Ride For Kids" Pediatric Brain Tumor Association-sponsored events that assembled at the Allstate property in 'your back yard' some years back. :thumb

Hi Kevin, thanks for the shout out. The town of Bolingbrook has spread out with population growing from 23k to now 75k with new homes and business warehouses eating up the farm land. I try to get further out into backstop country roads. Pretty soon, I end up 20 miles west into Yorkville to find the less traveled,

Where ever there is a river, I find enjoyable roads to travel. Speed limit is 50 on the county roads, fine by me, since I am just sight seeing. Route 71 along the Fox river in Ottawa. The DuPage rivers, Des Plaines River, Illinois river, Kankakee river has some local roads to explore.

Today, I tried Book road but it dead ended into a bike trail. No motorized bikes. Bummer. Not worth a ticket or mud to continue. I would rather spend more time riding than cleaning.

Agree to Utilizing All of Your Lane.

As previously stated, we took Jim Ford's training along many of his marvelous "invisible roads" and he emphasized keeping left until you have to yield to oncoming traffic.

It's basically common sense. It is your entire lane to utilize as you see fit. Being nearer the center line gives you better long-range vision of your roadway. You of course want to scan all of the road ahead while looking out toward "the Vanishing Point." It also tends to keep you further from the animals (or careless cagers) that could surprise you from the right. Lastly it provides the most room to maneuver for any reason whatsoever.

Ciao, Phil in HSV!

Deer

In my part of the country, I prefer closer to the center in order to be able to have more space to avoid deer 🦌 running across the road from the right. YMMV.... ride safe!

In my part of the country, I prefer closer to the center in order to be able to have more space to avoid deer �� running across the road from the right. YMMV.... ride safe!

A valid tactic on two-lane roads during those "dusk/dawn" periods of high interaction probability with 'crepuscular forest rats.'

If I'm operating a motorcycle near dawn or dusk on a four lane, divided highway, I patronize the left lane to maximize my distance from the tree line and give myself a reaction time advantage should deer or something else bolt out of the woods.

But this discussion appears to be about whether or not 'centerline riding' should be a standard position for daily operation.

Obviously, many varied opinions expected. :dunno

I have read that moving horizontally across the lane will make you more visible to oncoming traffic. It's the movement of the headlight that triggers attention by the driver. I try to do this when approaching someone staged to turn let in front of me.

So yeah, I would agree with this tactic with a caution for looking for debris in the center lane.

If raining , I might jump to the right side of the lane instead of the center.

Crepuscular forest rats!

A valid tactic on two-lane roads during those "dusk/dawn" periods of high interaction probability with 'crepuscular forest rats.'

If I'm operating a motorcycle near dawn or dusk on a four lane, divided highway, I patronize the left lane to maximize my distance from the tree line and give myself a reaction time advantage should deer or something else bolt out of the woods.

But this discussion appears to be about whether or not 'centerline riding' should be a standard position for daily operation.

Obviously, many varied opinions expected. :dunno

I like that! :)

Not sure where you read an article that promotes favoring the middle path in a lane, but the March issue of ON had Jim Ford, a well-known motorcycle safety educator, making his argument for staying close to the centerline until noticed by oncoming traffic - then shift to the right as needed.

Sound like the OP stated the same thing as the ON article, ride next to the center-line.
He did not say, ride in the middle of the lane.

I prefer different terminology: left wheel track and right wheel track. Or as Kevin noted, maybe in the left lane (if there is one) which also has a left wheel track and right wheel track.

As far as noticiability is concerned moving around in the lane from one wheel track to the other helps when approaching oncoming traffic.

Even riding with other bikes the entire lane width is mine to use as needed or prudent; unless my motorcycle is bolted beside another on a trailer as in "Chips" :)

Last edited:
I tend to ride in the left wheel track most of the time. I'll switch to the right track on left had turns so I can see around the corner and be seen earlier. Traffic, road conditions and other variables also influence my position in my lane. Most importantly, it is my lane. If I ride with other people I tell them that if where I am in my lane matters then he/she is too close. I do not expect to need to clear my lane when moving from one track to another; think of me as a 18 wheeler. Now that I am getting a sidecar rig I guess I will live in the left track.

I do tend to keep myself positioned as far to the left as I can safely to maximize my visibility and command my share of space on a roadway.

I do find that especially on un-lined roads, drivers do typically tend to favour the middle ground. If a motorcycle concedes to that and keeps to or moves to the right too soon, the car will just tend to hold their line up the middle and crowd the motorcycle into a less safe position. Holding your ground as long as is safe and reasonable usually forces the car to also move to it's right and give more space to the motorcycle.

I tend to ride in the left wheel track most of the time. I'll switch to the right track on left had turns so I can see around the corner and be seen earlier. Traffic, road conditions and other variables also influence my position in my lane. Most importantly, it is my lane. If I ride with other people I tell them that if where I am in my lane matters then he/she is too close. I do not expect to need to clear my lane when moving from one track to another; think of me as a 18 wheeler. Now that I am getting a sidecar rig I guess I will live in the left track.

This,

If I'm "ace out" on a two-lane road, meaning there are no other vehicles in front of me, then I will generally ride on the right side of the lane. If there are vehicles in front of me then I ride on the left side of the lane. However, never, ever ride in the middle of the lane. Now my ride positioning can change depending on weather, curves in the road, night riding, animals repeatedly crossing the road in front of me, etc.. But never in the center of the lane. Also beware that the yellow/white lines that separate the two lanes can themselves be slicker than owl sh*t when wet. Be careful when passing.

You are entitled to the FULL width of your lane. Use it wisely ! Visibility around the turns varies depending on whether it is a left or right turn, as does your conspicuity to other oncoming drivers or merging drivers. Looking as far ahead as possible will help you plan a smoother path thru the curves or down the straights, utilizing the entire surface of your lane.

I do not like restricting myself to only 1/3 of my lane. Being in the left third of my lane in a tight left turn may end up placing my head over the center yellow line. That can lead to a major "owwiiee" and less than smooth riding.

I don't ride with Ponch in formation either.....unless Ponch happens to be a real moto officer I know really well. But most moto officers I know don't like riding in formation unless they have to do so. I want access to the entire road surface with room in front and behind me to ride my own ride.

If you are not willing to do that, I'll just meet you where ever we are going. Maybe.

Friedle

+

I don't ride with Ponch in formation either.....
Agreed.

I will only ride side-by-side with a rider I know well and only on the interstate in light traffic. Never on a city or two-lane road. That's just asking for trouble. Staggered is the only way to ride with a companion or group.

Back