• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Carb Cleaning

jsf14469

Bike running poor in hot weather. Have decided to clean carbs, replace o-rings, perhaps needles, etc. Have read a bit and watched some video. The videos show carb body going into cleaning solution with throttle plate still attached. Would think this would damage o-ring that is still on throttle plate shaft? Or is that a theoretical concern and practical experience has taught the o-ring can withstand the cleaning solution?

I wouldn't dunk and clean the carbs that way. Replacing the throttle shaft o-rings requires repeening the screws...need to protect the shaft to avoid bending it. Try cleaning just by brushing the carb with cleaner along with the jets, etc., and worry about the throttle later.

I wouldn't dunk and clean the carbs that way. Replacing the throttle shaft o-rings requires repeening the screws...need to protect the shaft to avoid bending it. Try cleaning just by brushing the carb with cleaner along with the jets, etc., and worry about the throttle later.

Ditto.

I have heard horror stories about those who dis-assembled the plates from the shaft to get shaft out, and then didn't get screws tight enough on assembly and then lost one into the engine later.

What I did with my '78 R100 carbs when I purchased it was to dismantle the varoius easy parts. and cleaned out with a carb cleaner and a small brush/que tips etc. I also made sure all dirt was cleaned out of the tank and even disassemble the petcocks and throughly cleaned,

One thing I did was to lightly "re-surface" the fuel bowl float valves by taking a small round piece of wet-or-dry on the end of a pencil eraser and rotating to get clean.

After all that, and replacing the jet needles and the needle jets, all was well with the world. I have not had a problem since, leaking or otherwise.

I also religiously use Lucas gasoline additive at a 400:1 ratio (both in my car and in my bikes) and my carbs have stayed spotlessly clean. I buy this from Summit racing by the gallon. Each time I have pulled the bowls to look - not a spec of dirt. However, I also use in-line fuel filters on each line - purchased form Max's BMW (talk to Rusty). Cheap way to insure no dirt gets down to the carbs.

Have a friend with a lathe or whatever who made a custom block to support the throttle shaft while peening the throttle plate screws. IMHO wouldn't do this any other way.

In any event, imho "cleaning" is most often one of those "wishful thinking" (because its cheap) things that so many engage in. A proper carb overhaul requires, besides some itty bitty O-rings, new diaphragms and new needles, both not so cheap. Fuel/air mixture rushing past the needle wears it.

Fuel/air mixture rushing past the needle wears it.

Just an apples'n'oranges observation; "soft wears hard". Over the years I've seen it all lot where a plastic bushing will wear a groove in a shaft.

Back