• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

carb /air tube rubbers on 1968 /2

chwood4

I just ordered new carb to air tube rubbers for the bike. What is the easiest way to swap out the old vs new rubbers? Do I have to remove or in any way loosen the airtubes where they enter the motor near the air cleaner?..
I've done this with /5 and /6 models but the grey plastic "horns" were a bit different setup.. thanks

You should be looking at something like in this picture:

http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/photos/photophotos/1968 R50-2 Dahmes (2).JPG

Notice the two silver bands just at the backside of the carb. Remove those clamps. Then you should be able to grab the inlet tube with one hand and rotate it away from the rubber at the carb inlet and out of the round donut at the air cleaner. It may also be possible to push the rubber tube at the carb inlet back onto the inlet tube and remove the inlet tube. But sometimes the rubber at the carb inlet is rock hard and won't move.

Once you get the new rubber pieces in place, I'd suggest using a small amount of silicone to lube the inside of the donut at the air cleaner and at the carb inlet to let you work the inlet tube back into place.

I find this easier to do rather than work on the /5-on setup. If you have problems, post again. Or if you want to take pictures of your setup, we can look at them and see what's going on.

Back