• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Can't get the air out

ksnyder

Kurt Snyder
I have a 95 R1100RSL with ABS. I past years I have replaced the front master cylinder and installed SS brake lines without issues. I just replaced the front pads and can't get a firm brake lever. I have bled a quart of fluid through the system using a Mityvac, speed bleeders and normal bleeding techniques. The system was fine before I replaced the pads. Does anybody have any suggestions???

Thanks
Kurt

Sometimes, just waiting overnight will allow trapped air to seek a higher level or come out of solution.

Have you placed the bike on the ground and given it a test ride, controlled conditions? It might respond to real world cycling of the system.

Have you rebuilt the Master Cylinder? Its not a difficult task. Should the master cylinder seal be weak it may be slipping fluid past.

Good luck.

Another possibility is that the pads are not fully mating to the discs due to uneveness in the discs and/or the pads. This will allow a bit of springiness when you apply the brakes.Try going for a ride, get the brakes good and hot with a few hard stops from speed (choose your location wisely). That should seat the pads to the discs.

Remove a bit of the fluid from the reservoir. Remove one of the calipers and push the pads all the way into the caliper. Do the same with the other caliper. Replace the calipers and then pump up the system, and see if you get any air. Did you also bleed the ABS system?

One place to also try bleeding is to pump up the brake, then crack the banjo bolt at the master cylinder. A lot of times I've found the offending bubble there.

Back