• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Canada expected to legalize pot by 2018

Progressives are skating on thin ice with this subject.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/aliceg...he-chronic-effects-of-marijuana/#8a49a2c17be7

and even more damning:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...ies-show-long-term-effects-cannabis-the-brain

So let’s revisit our two questions. Is marijuana addictive? Yes, and a real, visible change in the brain’s reward system. And is marijuana safe? No, and the younger you start or the more you use over time, the more dangerous it is to your brain. Whether or not you believe recreational marijuana should be legal, it’s time to admit its power as a dangerous, addictive drug.

Count me out. Life is hard enough clean and sober...

Harry

Progressives are skating on thin ice with this subject.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/aliceg...he-chronic-effects-of-marijuana/#8a49a2c17be7

and even more damning:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...ies-show-long-term-effects-cannabis-the-brain

So let’s revisit our two questions. Is marijuana addictive? Yes, and a real, visible change in the brain’s reward system. And is marijuana safe? No, and the younger you start or the more you use over time, the more dangerous it is to your brain. Whether or not you believe recreational marijuana should be legal, it’s time to admit its power as a dangerous, addictive drug.

Harry
In some people, may or may not, is what I read.

Harry

And therein lies my rub with the subject. I have no problem using it as a pain reliever or for other medicinal purposes where no other alternatives exist. People suffering should be allowed to make those decisions on their own weighing their personal risk/reward benefits when given all of the relevant data.

Recreational use is difficult for me to approve of though even though I once protested for it (70's). As a former alcohol, tobacco and drug addict (15 years in my youth) I do know firsthand that it is addictive and harmful to the brain. I suffer memory problems now directly associated to my previous drug use. I also raised a child born with a chromosome defect that may have been the cause of his Spina Bifida birth defect which may have been caused by my use of LSD, one of the drugs I progressed to through the gateway of pot/hash. Yes, I do see it as a gateway drug for many. I know how living life with a constant buzz seemed OK at the time but given the opportunity to relive those years I would choose to abstain. The risk was not worth the reward. I realize that my experience may not be the norm for everyone who makes these choices but I have seen too many ill effects of this type of behavior to bring myself to be able to condone it. I also know how physically harmful my tobacco smoking was during those years and worry about that effect as well for those who choose to smoke pot. I do believe that individuals should be allowed to make their own choices when they don't imperil others but I feel drunk driving still takes way too many lives even though we have tried to get tough on it and worry about the same consequence with pot. I know the war on drugs has been a failure and I support some decriminalization for small amounts of less harmful drugs. I just feel we are moving too far too quick, many times for the benefit of the almighty dollar, and worry about the long term consequences.

I do appreciate all the well thought out responses. This is a very difficult, complicated matter with little black and white but instead lots of gray area.

I don't use pot and don't see it used (or smell it) in any of my friends or neighbour's home. It's just not part of my life.

I do know that in the past there have been fellow Canadians who have received Criminal records for minor pot offences and have suffered as a result. Many Canadians feel the result is too harsh and look forward to a more proportionate situation after decriminalization.

Canadians crossing the border into the US should be advised to continue the fiction that all Canadians do not use pot and not to have any paraphernalia in hand or vehicle. Watching some of those Border Cops TV show stupid behavior has consequences.

Yet, it is typical of timid Canadian politicians that it will take another year to get this done. And, in true Canadian fashion, each Province will get a crack at establishing a set of laws and regulations (as is the case with alcohol) that should confuse and dismay citizens for decades to come.

We will not get a clean resolution to pot related crime, punishment, and personal use ever, in my humble opinion.

Nor will we get any useful science on its use and effects unless some of the tax revenue funds some decent research. Don't plan on holding my breath on that score.

I do know that in the past there have been fellow Canadians who have received Criminal records for minor pot offences and have suffered as a result. Many Canadians feel the result is too harsh and look forward to a more proportionate situation after decriminalization.

Canadians crossing the border into the US should be advised to continue the fiction that all Canadians do not use pot and not to have any paraphernalia in hand or vehicle. Watching some of those Border Cops TV show stupid behavior has consequences.

Decriminalization or legalization, in Canada, won't change the fact that Canadians who have pot related criminal records will remain in the US systems and still be banned from entering the US. Canadian pardons don't change anything either.

The same is true with US citizens entering Canada.

Until the laws in both countries are changed, these people will still suffer.

Decriminalization or legalization, in Canada, won't change the fact that Canadians who have pot related criminal records will remain in the US systems and still be banned from entering the US. Canadian pardons don't change anything either.

The same is true with US citizens entering Canada.

Until the laws in both countries are changed, these people will still suffer.

In many or most, if not all cases, even a US DUI will keep a US citizen out of Canada. That was the number one reason cited when folks complained the year we had the International Rally in Trenton, ON, Canada. Sad but true.

And therein lies my rub with the subject. I have no problem using it as a pain reliever or for other medicinal purposes where no other alternatives exist. People suffering should be allowed to make those decisions on their own weighing their personal risk/reward benefits when given all of the relevant data.

Recreational use is difficult for me to approve of though even though I once protested for it (70's). As a former alcohol, tobacco and drug addict (15 years in my youth) I do know firsthand that it is addictive and harmful to the brain. I suffer memory problems now directly associated to my previous drug use. I also raised a child born with a chromosome defect that may have been the cause of his Spina Bifida birth defect which may have been caused by my use of LSD, one of the drugs I progressed to through the gateway of pot/hash. Yes, I do see it as a gateway drug for many. I know how living life with a constant buzz seemed OK at the time but given the opportunity to relive those years I would choose to abstain. The risk was not worth the reward. I realize that my experience may not be the norm for everyone who makes these choices but I have seen too many ill effects of this type of behavior to bring myself to be able to condone it. I also know how physically harmful my tobacco smoking was during those years and worry about that effect as well for those who choose to smoke pot. I do believe that individuals should be allowed to make their own choices when they don't imperil others but I feel drunk driving still takes way too many lives even though we have tried to get tough on it and worry about the same consequence with pot. I know the war on drugs has been a failure and I support some decriminalization for small amounts of less harmful drugs. I just feel we are moving too far too quick, many times for the benefit of the almighty dollar, and worry about the long term consequences.

I do appreciate all the well thought out responses. This is a very difficult, complicated matter with little black and white but instead lots of gray area.

Wow. That was not an easy text to publish. My hat off to your honesty, and to your commitment to your child. I just flew back last night from a week in Berkeley, CA, helping my daughter recover from serious abdominal surgery complications. We never stop caring for our 'kids' - regardless of their legal age. :thumb

The 'war on drugs' was never a failure. We as citizens and parents basically failed it.

THC messes (permanently) with the brain. All we're doing now is trying to apply a juvenile solution to an adult problem.

Many of us want tax dollars to go somewhere else, and others want to 'play with an addictive drug, but not get punished for doing it.'

We can whine about "the entitlement generation," but most MOA members represent several generations prior, and right now, we're not coming off all that mature either. :violin

Maturity, by its very definition, implies we learn from our mistakes. Now, we just shrug our shoulders, settle for legalizing them and move on.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what's the greater mystery?:scratch

Whether synthetic oil has an advantage over regular oil, or why those who favor legalizing pot, all forms of deviant behavior and porous borders can't figure out why a certain party with a conservative agenda got handed the keys to the White House? :usa

I shall go for a ride now, and ponder this dichotomy. :rolleyes

Russians?

Good on you, that you got through this, Mike. :thumb

Thanks, but I didn't get through it and it took me 15 years to realize I couldn't get through it. But once I admitted it was beyond me and my ability and sought help then I was able to get free from my self imposed bondage. Very blessed that it didn't take longer. Probably wouldn't be here to write this had it.

Back