• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Canada expected to legalize pot by 2018

mikegalbicka

Back in the saddle again
Just wondering how our friends up north feel about this.

From this USA today article
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...l-canada-expected-legalize-pot-2018/99769624/

TORONTO (AP) — Canadians should be able to smoke marijuana legally by July 1, 2018, a senior government official said Monday.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's Liberal government will introduce legislation to legalize recreational marijuana the week of April 10th and it should become law by July next year, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity due to lack of authorization to discuss the upcoming legislation.

Trudeau has long promised to legalize recreational pot use and sales. Canada would be the largest developed country to end a nationwide prohibition of recreational marijuana. In the U.S, voters in California, Massachusetts, Maine and Nevada voted last year to approve the use of recreational marijuana, joining Colorado, Washington, Oregon and Alaska. Uruguay in South America is the only nation to legalize recreational pot.

Canada legal pot

Does this mean we should expect Trump to build a northern wall as well ?

Friedle

Not going to happen!

I beg to differ. And it's about time. We waste millions of tax dollars, chasing, charging, court and jail. And give huge, yes I said it HUGE ( not quoting anyone south of the border mind you :wave) $ to organized crime in the process.

And yes Paul, I vote Yes for Western Canada BMWMOA rally. Hell I will even help to organize if it would be seriously considered.

Canada legal pot by 2018

Only if they're paying for it.

Hell, if they are legally selling pot, they will have plenty of money to pay for building a wall. Trump may even take over Canada and deport all the natives. :)

Friedle

I, in my very politically correct, outstanding citizenship way of being totally, almost, most of the time, completely law abiding, had never been near the demon weed. A gateway drug so to speak.

I drink, I like my beering and beer o'clock is the most important part of the day and the best part of beer o'clock is it happens exactly the same time my low beer light goes off in my head. Yeah, booze ain't a drug----------see the sarcasm there?

Unfortunately or fortunately, depending upon your point of view and how much beering you have done, it does nothing for Arthur in my hands and back or I do enough beering that I don't care that me an Arthur aren't friendly.

This buddy of mine has soooooooooooooooo many health issues that conventional chemistry was doing nothing more than draining his bank account and paying for the fuel in a big ass boat. He found a little something, something that turned him around enough that he was comfortable. He turned me onto it and the difference was enough that the little read head in the bar I frequent could see I had some dance moves. You know what I mean, wink, wink.

We (Canada) are not legalizing pot. We are decriminalizing it which means that you won't get busted for amounts for personal use. We can't legalize it, yet. We have anti-drug agreements with other countries, including the USA. We can't bring ours to you and you can't bring yours to us even with medicinal license.

I don't qualify for a medicinal license. The dope ain't recognized for me wanting to be flexible enough to chase red heads.

I am totally against decriminalizing to the point where you can smoke a bomber and jump into your box and drive home. There are laws against impairment but roadsides to determine you just smoked a pile of weed and are impaired are sketchy at best. Until we have a proper way to determine impairment by grass, I don't want it decriminalized.

I drink a beer, I drive. I drink two beers, I don't. I drink a lot of beers, I chase red heads and make sure that at least one of my friends remembers where I live.

I smoke the demon weed in private, at home and then I go to bed. Once they find a solution to other side effect, I can't have Hawkins Cheesies in the house.

I am totally against decriminalizing to the point where you can smoke a bomber and jump into your box and drive home. There are laws against impairment but roadsides to determine you just smoked a pile of weed and are impaired are sketchy at best. Until we have a proper way to determine impairment by grass, I don't want it decriminalized.

Create the need and the technology will be developed. In the meantime, give the police the latitude to yank a driver's license for 24 hours for the guy driving 5 mph in a 30 mph zone. :)

I'm not sure what's the greater mystery?:scratch

Whether synthetic oil has an advantage over regular oil, or why those who favor legalizing pot, all forms of deviant behavior and porous borders can't figure out why a certain party with a conservative agenda got handed the keys to the White House? :usa

I shall go for a ride now, and ponder this dichotomy. :rolleyes

Whether synthetic oil has an advantage over regular oil, or why those who favor legalizing pot, all forms of deviant behavior and porous borders can't figure out why a certain party with a conservative agenda got handed the keys to the White House? :usa

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tYkg0oDUXs8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Harry

I have a unique perspective. I don't drink alcohol, never did in 57 years. Not one beer or anything. Never smoked pot, ate brownies, etc or used any other drugs. I have been around both over the years plenty enough to observe.

Anyone that thinks it is ok to drink alcohol but it is a crime/sin/gateway to death to smoke or use pot is a fool. Prohibition proved what happens when you try to make something illegal that cannot be controlled. Same with pot. Legalize it and make money off the taxes. Now.

To really bring a point to this, I will say that I have seen what happens when alcohol becomes a problem. Family problems, beating the wife and kids, and loss of job and driving. Alcohol can turn a nice person into a devil.

I have NEVER in all my years seen someone smoking or using pot try to fight me. Or go out of their way to pick a fight with someone. Pot is less of a problem than alcohol for society. If I were to pick one to keep and the other disappear, alcohol would be gone.

But it really isn't simple as that, is it? Gateway drug? I think not, I have plenty of acquaintances that never seemed to do harder drugs that were fairly frequent pot users. I can say the same for alcohol, but I will say that when you become an alcoholic you create a whole new set of problems. I suppose there are potaholics, but just don't see the same problems. Both are bad problems. There will always be some of each, legal or not.

We have not done well in the "War on Drugs". Legalize marijuana here and in Canada. Take the money that was being used to jail people with personal use amounts of pot and use it for something constructive.

I started this thread for the purpose of getting the views of our northern neighbors on this specific subject. Could we try and leave it at that and quit with the political stuff please. Focus on just legalizing pot as a nation. If you want to ramble elsewhere start your own thread and have at it.

I appreciate the feedback given thus far that is related to the subject. Keep it coming. Our nation will be making this same decision soon probably and I need all the different perspectives to completely formulate my own. I am not satisfied that I can fully support my current one.

The oil

I have a unique perspective. I don't drink alcohol, never did in 57 years. Not one beer or anything. Never smoked pot, ate brownies, etc or used any other drugs. I have been around both over the years plenty enough to observe.

Anyone that thinks it is ok to drink alcohol but it is a crime/sin/gateway to death to smoke or use pot is a fool. Prohibition proved what happens when you try to make something illegal that cannot be controlled. Same with pot. Legalize it and make money off the taxes. Now.

To really bring a point to this, I will say that I have seen what happens when alcohol becomes a problem. Family problems, beating the wife and kids, and loss of job and driving. Alcohol can turn a nice person into a devil.

I have NEVER in all my years seen someone smoking or using pot try to fight me. Or go out of their way to pick a fight with someone. Pot is less of a problem than alcohol for society. If I were to pick one to keep and the other disappear, alcohol would be gone.

But it really isn't simple as that, is it? Gateway drug? I think not, I have plenty of acquaintances that never seemed to do harder drugs that were fairly frequent pot users. I can say the same for alcohol, but I will say that when you become an alcoholic you create a whole new set of problems. I suppose there are potaholics, but just don't see the same problems. Both are bad problems. There will always be some of each, legal or not.

We have not done well in the "War on Drugs". Legalize marijuana here and in Canada. Take the money that was being used to jail people with personal use amounts of pot and use it for something constructive.

Amen.

Use it for health care, both countries

Back