• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Can you change your oil too much??

The sump of a BMW is just a stop in the life cycle of oil. Recycle your oil properly and it continues through the sytem. What that is varies but we are still only a stop on the way. Use items that contain post consumer waste.

poke

Is synthetic or dino worse for the environment? Just kidding!!!
This is great stuff!

I run mobil 1 to 5000 miles and then recycle.

Here's one to think about. My father-in-law, former chemical engineer and OCD German-American, had a system where he changed the synthetic oil every other filter change. The filter would be changed at 5000 miles and oil topped off. The oil and filter would be changed at the next 5000 mile increment. We took an '86 528e to over 300K miles that way. I only apply this method on water cooled engines(my Dodge, not under warrantee) and not my RT. Thermal breakdown is the concern on my oil-cooled engine.

Back in the good ole days we also had leaded fuel, and high sulfur contents, both of which increased the need to change the oil. It was not uncommon in those days for engines to have a lot of blowby, another way to contaminate the oil. Over long choke applications added to fuel dilution of the oil. Just the lack of sulfur and lead are enough to double the change interval.

Rod

Back in the good ole days

Rod

Ah, yes. 1954 Ford Crestliner, fender skirts, gangster whitewalls, curb feelers, 2-speed Fordomatic transmission, and sweet tube radio. (and we only changed the oil every 10,000 miles)

BTW, did you know that a Fifth of Ron Bacardi Light will fit perfectly in the air vent tubes of a 1954 Ford?:whistle

Here's one part of the issue no one has mentioned. I do all my maintenance, including oil changes, in all my vehicles. The interval varies, but rarely goes to 5,000 miles. Without exception, every time I change oil I feel the difference. The smoothness of the engine is enhanced. Parenthetically, I also smell the new oil in the bikes, probably the aromatic additives (and not because I have spilled some on the pipes). It's not just wishful thinking, either.
My vehicles achieve high mileages without failures in part due to the frequency of oil changes (cheap insurance), the routine maintenence regimen, and in part due to my driving habits. YRMV.
Paul

drain plug/ oil filter threads wear and tear

drain plug/ oil filter threads wear and tear:dance

Sure don't want to have to deal with stripped/worn drain plug threads because of being to anal:bolt

Ride more:usa

I change oil and filter in every vehicle I own at 3000 miles. Makes me happy so thats what I do. As far as the environment, me changing my oil isn't going to raise the global temp 10 degrees or melt an ice cap. For all the people that are thinking I'm some insane toxic villan I say quit joy riding your bike. Your using a lot more gas than the 4 qts of oil I use. Get off your high horse and just have some fun.

Given that environmental damage is incremental in its buildup, the actions of each individually-insignificant consumer do impact the system, even if only to a very small degree. But many individuals considered together, choosing a more (or less) globally responsible stance can have a measureable effect.

I change my oil in all my equipment twice a year. Mileage is not important to me in this matter. I do recycle all my drain oil. It came out of the ground and I put it back in the ground by pouring it on weeds where I don't want them to grow.

I change my oil every 3000 miles. Don't care if I'm wasting $ or resources. Don't care if I'm hurting the environment. I spent $20k plus on my bike and I'm going to protect it the best I can. I do the same with my cars. My 2010 Mariner calls for 7500 mile intervals. No chance it will go half that long.

I knew a fellow that changed his oil filter frequently and added a quart of oil but never changed his oil. He didn't seem to have any problems with his procedure.

A local farmer once traded in his GMC truck on a new one. The truck had 90,000 miles or so on it. He was back at the dealer shortly after he traded and the salesman was trying to sell his trade in. He saw the prior owner and called him over to confirm to the prospect that the truck was a good one. The farmer said "Yep, best truck I ever had. Never had the oil plug out of the truck". Needless to say, the truck was not sold to that prospect.

Ken

I had a '64 Chevy Nova that never really got an oil change after it's first 5 years...I had to add a quart every fillup:laugh it had so many leaks, I was 16 and didn't care on the family hand me down...

On the bikes, I follow the owners manual unless I have been stuck in traffic a lot or running the snot out of something. 6K comes so fast on our daily riders so it's every few weeks at times anyways:stick

Ride your own ride:dance

If you like to change your oil more and it makes you happy...it's your deal

Back when my bike was new, I used to drain the $$ BMW oil at recommended intervals and use it to replenish my oil burning 1970 302 Bronco. It never complained. The only oil related harm I've ever seen on a K bike is the starter clutch getting gummed up after 3-4 years of not changing the stuff.

whining about the planet gets old IT is not our mother PC gets old the manufacturers whether oil or Bike know what is needed I do agree regarding the short trips but even then a cheap synthetic should get you 4000 where as dyno should do 3000 :usa

Naivete about the environment is one thing. Naivete about the motives of the oil and automotive industry is just plain sticking your head in the sand. Money, money, money. Feed them if you like. As has been suggested, I'll go my own way with my vehicles. (Porsche, BTW, recommends oil changes every 20K miles. I did my second one a little early, at 39K)

Naivete about the environment is one thing. Naivete about the motives of the oil and automotive industry is just plain sticking your head in the sand. Money, money, money. Feed them if you like. As has been suggested, I'll go my own way with my vehicles. (Porsche, BTW, recommends oil changes every 20K miles. I did my second one a little early, at 39K)

20K oil changes to me is a stretch. Do you have proof that is what BMW recommends in their motorcycles??

Oil Change Interval

20K oil changes to me is a stretch. Do you have proof that is what BMW recommends in their motorcycles??

In a word - Yes. For BMW automobiles, oil changes are "condition based" as analyzed by built-in sensors, and the "minimum" oil change interval is one year. According to the shop where I bought the car, it appears my first oil change will occur either in November or at nearly 20K MILES, whichever occurs first.

Most people change oil way too frequently. Bottom line is to pay attention to the bike/auto manual and use good products. Engines built in this day and age will last forever. I just gave my daughter my 2000 Mitsubishi with 240K miles, and it burns no oil and still purrs like a kitten.

Orv
R1200RT, 41K mi and climbing.

It seems like we will never outgrow the outdated philosophy of our Great Grandfathers service schedule for their 1915 Model T Fords. Cars got better, engines got better, oil got better, and most of all the open lubrication system of old model motorcycle engines got better. However, it is your money, better to make the oil companies rich than waste it on useless things like food and clothing.

Here might be a concern for changing oil too often : If you tighten the bejesus out of the oil drain plug often enough , it may strip out prematurely before the normal life of the engine. I have had to tap and install a larger oil plug in a used van I bought once because of a stripped oil plug. Metal filings a worry !

In a word - Yes. For BMW automobiles, oil changes are "condition based" as analyzed by built-in sensors...

Mercedes is the same, calling their system FSS for Flexible Service System in the US. The car tells you when a service should be performed and one of the controlling items is oil condition. My wife's car, mostly used for short trips, gets somewhere between 8K and 12K before the notice. Nominal service is every 10K miles. If the car spent more time on the freeway it'd likely get more miles/service.

I service my bikes at the recommended schedule.

I would ask you to look back to my post #9, and my experience with measured breakdown products in the oil of military vehicles for the best proof one can offer. Keep in mind, this was 30 weight, bulk, dino oil, used in vehicles in very extreme conditions. Knowing that, I am not at all worried about 20K on Mobil1 0W40 in my Cayman. Kudos to Porsche to have the wherewithall to actually put that in print. :german

I lied, however, in post #9 about that being my last comment:laugh:bolt

Back