• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

CamHead tool kit

RandyBailey

I just purchased. 2013 R1200RT. What tools were included by BMW in the tool kit under the seat?

I apologize in advance if this has been asked before. I did a search and didn't find the answer.

I just purchased. 2013 R1200RT. What tools were included by BMW in the tool kit under the seat?

I apologize in advance if this has been asked before. I did a search and didn't find the answer.

Randy,

the "tool kit" (if one can call it that) that came with my 2013 RT is a joke at best....it contains a tool to remove the oil fill cap, combo screwdriver, a T25 torx wrench, T30 torx wrench and an extension type tool that i have no clue about....

i did purchase a R1200RT specific tool set from ADV Designs...pricey, but it has nearly everything needed for roadside repairs...

http://www.advdesigns.com/ulcobmwr1gsg.html

wyman

Randy,

the "tool kit" (if one can call it that) that came with my 2013 RT is a joke at best....it contains a tool to remove the oil fill cap, combo screwdriver, a T25 torx wrench, T30 torx wrench and an extension type tool that i have no clue about....

i did purchase a R1200RT specific tool set from ADV Designs...pricey, but it has nearly everything needed for roadside repairs...

http://www.advdesigns.com/ulcobmwr1gsg.html

wyman
Randy - I second Wyman's recommendation on the ADV Designs tool kit. I ended up building my own tool kit from a combination of the Cruz tool kit plus some additional items that weren't included. If I had it to do over again, I'd do the ADV Designs kit.

Give ADV Designs a call before you order. There are some slight differences between the years (for example, I believe the camheads use a different spark plug than the hexheads) and you want to be sure you get exactly what you need.

JayJay

Tool Kis Recomendadtion

My tool kit contains all the tools necessary to do all the maintenance and repairs that I know how to do, including a compressor, flat repair kit. I also carry a GS911 and a small notebook computer. Whenever I do a service or repair to my bike if the tools I use are not in the kit I put them there. You only need one of any of the specialty tools as it can stay in your road kit all the time. I carry a few nuts and bolts including a selection of body bolts that tend to get lost on roadside repairs. I do not carry parts except for a small bottle of oil and a used alternator belt.

My computer has the BMW service CD on it as well. I take care to keep my bike well serviced and keep a good log on what I have done. I try to do all the service myself on both my bike and my wife's bike, including tire changes. I'm comfortable I can deal with most minor roadside emergencies.

Before I leave for any extended trip the bikes get a good service and check over. So far this has worked well. I fix between Anne and I at least one flat per season and we have had some minor issues that I have been able to deal with on the road. Because I can change my own tires I can flip off a tire, mark it's mileage, and put on fresh rubber for extended trips. Then I re-use that tire up when home on shorted rides.

Good luck

Dave, It sounds like I need you as my riding buddy! I can handle basic stuff, but depend on the dealer for maintenance beyond oil changes.

I have a Hex Head. But if I had a Cam Head or a Wet Head this would be my only toolkit other then what came with my bike.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1408319223.862993.jpg

My tool kit contains all the tools necessary to do all the maintenance and repairs that I know how to do, including a compressor, flat repair kit. I also carry a GS911 and a small notebook computer. Whenever I do a service or repair to my bike if the tools I use are not in the kit I put them there. You only need one of any of the specialty tools as it can stay in your road kit all the time. I carry a few nuts and bolts including a selection of body bolts that tend to get lost on roadside repairs. I do not carry parts except for a small bottle of oil and a used alternator belt.

My computer has the BMW service CD on it as well. I take care to keep my bike well serviced and keep a good log on what I have done. I try to do all the service myself on both my bike and my wife's bike, including tire changes. I'm comfortable I can deal with most minor roadside emergencies.

Before I leave for any extended trip the bikes get a good service and check over. So far this has worked well. I fix between Anne and I at least one flat per season and we have had some minor issues that I have been able to deal with on the road. Because I can change my own tires I can flip off a tire, mark it's mileage, and put on fresh rubber for extended trips. Then I re-use that tire up when home on shorted rides.

Good luck

Perfect! This is the way everyone should put a toolkit together. It is the first thing I do when I get a new bike.

Back