• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Camhead clutch

2slowwheels

An arbitrary question: how long should a clutch last on a camhead RT. Lets just say average rider and 5,000 miles a year. I know too many variables to be accurate but.....

With proper maintenance and use (not dragging, etc) north of 100,000 miles. Unfortunalty my personal assessment is that they usually go between 50k~60k on average.

I'd say it really depends on the rider, the type of riding [ slow speed cone work on one end and mostly highway miles traveled on the other end [ how much the clutch is actually used ].

My mechanic explained that the more I can shift without using the clutch the longer it will last. Do from 4-6th going up, no clutch work. Might not save that much wear and tear but it's easy enough to shift through those upper gears without using it so why not.

Seems I've seen a lot of posts about camhead clutches giving up the ghost like someone else mentioned, 50-60K miles though. As I do slow speed work in parking lots often enough slipping the clutch, say 30 minutes a month, who knows how long mine will last. The 2011 RT has 34K on her at the moment. No signs of needing clutch work now though.

More time [ miles ] spent on the slabs getting to places across the US would seem to naturally suggest less clutch work for miles traveled on the odo, but then I play in the lots doing slow speed cone work as well.

I have found that shifting without using a clutch takes away the ability to reconcile a bad shift. :dunno

OM

I have found that shifting without using a clutch takes away the ability to reconcile a bad shift. :dunno

OM

And if and when that happens, use the clutch lever :laugh

It doesn't happen all that often in my world as I only use that clutchless shift from 4-6th [ higher gears ].

With the 16RS and quick shift, it's no easier in the higher gears than my cam head without shift assist.

Found this on the net --"The only downside to using a quickshifter regularly is that your clutch and throttle finesse are likely to get rusty, which is a legitimate concern. Also, as with clutchless shifting, the smoothness of the shift is somewhat dependent on engine speed"

I replaced mine on a 2010 RT at 95,300 miles. It was pretty worn out as I could tell when riding the last 1000-2000 miles before I replaced it and once I measured the friction material there was not much left. I purchased it with 53K so about 42K was my riding which was a combination of commuting and long distance touring and I'd like to think I rode relatively gently most of the time. I've heard a number who made it a good amount above 100,000 miles but also some who had to replace the clutch well short of that. It would be interesting to have a survey or get some statistics of mileage when replaced but hard to determine the use and how it plays into the service life.

My 2009 RT had 140K miles on the clutch when I sold it. Never slipped.

My 2013 RT has 110K miles on clutch currently.

Back